User Tag List

First 34567 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    This is simply not true, especially if the cooling is caused by a weakening of the Gulf Stream.
    Yes, in theory, global warming can eventually halt the gulf stream and freeze western Europe, among other things. However, I am fairly certain that is not the case being made by the thread creator.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Yes, in theory, global warming can eventually halt the gulf stream and freeze western Europe, among other things. However, I am fairly certain that is not the case being made by the thread creator.
    So you translate this belief to anyone who mentions "cooling"?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

So you translate this belief to anyone who mentions "cooling"?
    I translate it to all the instances I've seen of holding cooling against climate change science. Obviously, those who are refering how it is a part of the climate change process, and related to global warming, are not making such an argument.

But I've found the argument that some temperature drop is proof against global warming to be quite prosaic.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post

But I've found the argument that some temperature drop is proof against global warming to be quite prosaic.
    And furthermore, we would need 20 complete winters with the same trend to conclude that the weather is returning to "normal".

This season is not even over yet.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Hei, without that volcano, we wouldn't have frankenstein!

Remember shelly was invited to Lord Byron's place and the weather was such crap, that everyone had to stay indoors. Leave a few writers indoors with nothing to do, and guess whot they do? They write! Go figure!

1816 had a good amount of rather classic literature written in it, even if much of it wasn't published until later, most likely due to that volcano ^^

That being said, the output of a single volcanic eruption produces many times over the CO2 that humans have over the entire course of human history.

There's been more than enough studies to show that CO2 isn't the cause of warming at all, but rather an aftereffect which shows up AFTER the warming has already occurred.

Doesn't mean 'global warming' is total falsehood, it just means our understanding of climate change as a whole is nowheres near as great as we'd like to pretend it is.

I agree with Lateralus... or... wait he agreed with me... so am I agreeing with myself? That's probably for the better honestly. I hate disagreeing with myself. Because then it always turns into a fight. And I'm pretty sure I can take myself if I had to. Worst part is though, I know where I live.

Aaaaanyways XD

Policy based on lack of information is not really the best idea... the whole carbon credits thing is dumb, but the idea of renewable resources should be looked into anyway.

Tidal farms and wind farms are excellent sources of energy, and in some areas can be used with minimal side effects. Solar energy is an excellent source of power, even though there's only been a small handful of locations which actually use it effectively (the most recent design I've seen literally can't use its' full power output because it literally would MELT if it tried to harness its' full capacity... I can think of a few improvements upon that design due to such XD but yeah anyways ), and it really should have more use placed in it honestly.

I can see a day when we produce so much genetically grown 'superfoods' that the excess farmland gets turned into solar power arrays =3

But we'll see I suppose. People are stupid and don't use common sense all that well. And go against stuff just because of ignorance alone. Stupid organic food. Why do yeu people insist on supporting such a bad idea?
    I enjoyed the literary context, it adds a richness to the geological event I otherwise wouldn't have been aware of.

I'm all for alternative energy, of types that are more resource efficient. I'm all for conservation and preservation of resources for the future. But I also think it's stupid and cruel not to hunt animals when they overpopulate.

Or to loose any sleep over something or another going extinct including humans. Every dog has it's day, and the fossil record tells us that the majority of species that ever existed are already extinct.

Organic food? Well if people want to buy their genetically modified, chemical
    laden food in the packaging of their choice. Sure, by all means.

Personally I buy organically grown food, free range or wild caught...game meat, fish, poultry etc. Inspired by a book called the Paleo Diet, which isn't a diet at all, but an approximation of what pre-agricultural man ate.

I don't do grains, legumes, dairy, sugar, or anything that comes prepackaged in a bottle or box. It's very expensive to eat that way, but my high blood pressure went away, LDL's and HDL's are just perfect.

Yes, people are welcome to drink all of the milk and eat all the beef injected with growth horomone and antibiotics that they want. So long as I'm free to purchase an alternative.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post

That being said, the output of a single volcanic eruption produces many times over the CO2 that humans have over the entire course of human history.

Would you mind telling me from where did you get this piece of information ?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Would you mind telling me from where did you get this piece of information ?
    Ne turned wild.

I told you, Katsuni, that trusting your intuition to fill the blanks is never the solution within a scientific debate.
    Remember: it's not the first time you do enormous mistakes (Is it the fourth or the fifth time you are caught cheating?). So why are you still arguing? Just for the sake of arguing, and defend a position you don't really believe in? -that would be very ENTPesque-
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    And furthermore, we would need 20 complete winters with the same trend to conclude that the weather is returning to "normal".

This season is not even over yet.
    This, of course, assumes that the climate at the end of the little ice age was "normal".
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

With Antarctica getting bigger I think they could have picked a better name than "global warming".

There is a lot of this "its still global warming because bla bla bla...so its actually colder but its still a global warming effect, but yup its 'global warming'...so blame the fact your ass is freezing on 'global warming'..."

I don't know what they should call it but the term 'global warming' seems to be a bad choice.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

This, of course, assumes that the climate at the end of the little ice age was "normal".
    No.

The climate of the "little ice age" was far harsher than this winter, you have no idea how much.

As I already said, is that was the case, you would not have extreme temperatures like -6C in Paris, but temperatures like -20C or even below.

The truth is that the warming trend was so real during the last decades that people aren't used to "normal" winters anymore. In Paris, we are now used to very light winters, with less than 20 days of light freezing temperature/year. Snowfall was becoming rarer and rarer, if not totally absent. So this is surprising, even if we're very, very far away from the climate occuring during the 50'es.

7w8 SCUxI