User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Okay, so Florida freezes over for a week and now we're predicting global cooling?

Somebody's Disneyworld vacation got interrupted, didn't it?
    I don't see anything about Florida in either article. It looks to me like you're trying to attack the messenger rather than address the argument.

A better response would have been "CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON!!!!"
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Intricate Mystic View Post
    Here's a more convincing article about a study that was recently published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal:

Scientist predicts cooling: Times Argus Online
    Interesting article...

I remember back in the 70's when CFC's were banned. I thought it was funny that the article neglected to mention "hair spray" as one of the related items.

It's the first update I recall stating progress.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I believe it. It's too effin cold in Texas.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

The last two words in this thread title got mixed up in my mind when I read it.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by incubustribute View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could all just do our homework and google all of the profoundly conclusive evidence out there and figure out the reality for ourselves? Since, you know, it would be so easy because so many of the research has been done for completely unbiased reasons, by completely non-partisan sources...

I'm kind of biased in favoring Penn & Teller's bullshit approach to Global Warming.

YouTube - Penn & Teller: Global Warming

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

It's astounding how people are easy to manipulate.

You have one cold winter out of twenty, and then suddenly, they claim the weather is cooling!
    People are so short sighted sometimes...

Because:

1/ To understand global climate, they should check the trends. If overall, you have twenty winters hotter than normal against one, the trend remains clear.

2/ And I should add that if this winter appears cold, it's rather because it looks like the winters we used to had some decades years ago (and then, it wouldn't be a harsh one. A century ago, winters were considerably colder). People perceive it as "cold" because they are not used to that kind of cold anymore.

Here in Paris we had -6C during three consecutive days, and people are immediately complaining. But one century ago, did they know that the river Seine was regularly freezing -we're far from it-, and that temperatures like -15C weren't rare, then?

Here is the proof thanks to that dear Claude Monet, who painted how the Seine looked then during the Impressionist era...

---

Anyway. As aforementioned, this winter won't invert the thawing of the permafrost line. Plants will continue to migrate north (at least in the northern hemisphere), and the quantities of ice beyond the arctic circle will continue to decrease.
    It's rather this trend we should check and study.

Aaaah... people are so ignorant and short-sighed... It would be laughable if the issue wasn't so serious.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    I'm kind of biased in favoring Penn & Teller's bullshit approach to Global Warming.

YouTube - Penn & Teller: Global Warming
    You can say that alright. And Penn and Teller themselves are more than a little biased.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

I mostly just wanted to sneak in so I could drop in this picture:

07/01/2010 (07th jan 2010, not sure why americans put the month first, smallest to largest peoples!), picture of Britain covered with snow =3

Oddly enough though, that's evidence for global WARMING, rather than COOLING.

Problem there, is that as ice melts off the north pole, it screws with the gulf stream's efficiency of transferring heat to Europe, which leaves Europe getting harsh, crappy winters, which matches that theory.

Unfortunately we know so little about the climate that I honestly don't think we know WTH's going on XD

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    07/01/2010 (07th jan 2010, not sure why americans put the month first, smallest to largest peoples!)
    After the Revolutionary War, the founding fathers wanted to distant themselves from English culture. They streamlined the spelling (Webster's Dictionary was published around this time) and even created a different style of holding silverware. Call it crazy, but they just wanted America to have a unique "feel" even if we were still speaking the same (arguably) language.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Unfortunately we know so little about the climate that I honestly don't think we know WTH's going on XD
    I find string theory fascinating. I consider evolution to be entirely plausible (read: I'm not a creationist). The future of genetics is exciting (I'm all for things like stem cell research). Yet, despite my enthusiast support, I would resist broad public policy being formed based on our current knowledge in any of those sciences. There's too much that we don't know, and most scientists would freely admit this.

Why is climate science different? I agree with Katsuni, that we really don't have any idea what's going on. We see patterns and we rush to explain them without any real understanding. Yet we're expected to spend billions, even trillions of dollars on policies based on a science that we understand no more than we understand the mechanisms of evolution (possibly even less). I have no problem with climate science, strictly as a science. But when people want to make public policy based on science, I believe it should be held to a higher level of scrutiny. Instead, we have people like Blackmail who demean anyone who questions The Consensus.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."