User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 89

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Agreed. Even if this is the case, 30 years of cooling in the scheme of the theory only furthers the global warming argument--basically, that the global climate is recalibrating to something different.
    Warming trends support theories of Anthropogenic Global Warming.

    Cooling trends support theories of Anthropogenic Global Warming.

    "global climate is recalibrating to something different"

    As opposed to the stasis that has dominated earth's history...

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    What I find odd about the topic is let's consider Mars. The polar ice cap in the southern hemisphere of the planet is melting due to a 0.5 increase in temperature since 1970.

    Since earth has been through about ten Ice Ages, with spans of obvious warming and cooling in-between. And our path through the universe is not a constant, eventually our solar system is going to be swallowed by Andromeda.

    Why is it plausible to believe that a bunch of gnats on a camel's ass, stand a chance in hell of delaying the next Ice Age...

    It's not like the Martians are impacting their ice caps.

  3. #13
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp
    Posts
    8,696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    What I find odd about the topic is let's consider Mars. The polar ice cap in the southern hemisphere of the planet is melting due to a 0.5 increase in temperature since 1970.

    Since earth has been through about ten Ice Ages, with spans of obvious warming and cooling in-between. And our path through the universe is not a constant, eventually our solar system is going to be swallowed by Andromeda.

    Why is it plausible to believe that a bunch of gnats on a camel's ass, stand a chance in hell of delaying the next Ice Age...

    It's not like the Martians are impacting their ice caps.

    Seriously, what makes you say that ?

  4. #14
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    What I find odd about the topic is let's consider Mars. The polar ice cap in the southern hemisphere of the planet is melting due to a 0.5 increase in temperature since 1970.

    Since earth has been through about ten Ice Ages, with spans of obvious warming and cooling in-between. And our path through the universe is not a constant, eventually our solar system is going to be swallowed by Andromeda.

    Why is it plausible to believe that a bunch of gnats on a camel's ass, stand a chance in hell of delaying the next Ice Age...

    It's not like the Martians are impacting their ice caps.
    Well, if you want to make an anology to another life form, we are roughly compared to earth in size as a typical virus is compared to us. 6.7 billion duplicates of an ebola strain is something to recon with, no?.

    But that camel and gnat comparison is just folksy, analogous, "common sense" which doesn't amount to much anyway. It's much more rhetorical than logical.

    The reason it's plausible is very simple. It's something called industrial technology. You may have heard of it. We've traveled to other celestial bodies and smashed atoms with it, among other things. You should really look into it, because you might be quite surprised at what it can do.

    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  5. #15
    Senior Member syndatha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Fire and Ice

    Some say the world will end in fire,
    Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice,
    I think I know enough of hate
    To say that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

    Robert Frost
    I have no sense of humour.

  6. #16
    ..... Intricate Mystic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    Could we be in for 30 years of global COOLING? | Mail Online

    That's right folks, some "scientist" are predicting thirty years of "Global Cooling".

    You people aren't poluting enough! We need to get "Global Warming" back!

    :steam:
    Here's a more convincing article about a study that was recently published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal:

    Scientist predicts cooling: Times Argus Online

  7. #17
    Senior Member incubustribute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Wouldn't it be nice if we could all just do our homework and google all of the profoundly conclusive evidence out there and figure out the reality for ourselves? Since, you know, it would be so easy because so many of the research has been done for completely unbiased reasons, by completely non-partisan sources...
    Last edited by incubustribute; 01-11-2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: grammer

  8. #18
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Intricate Mystic View Post
    Here's a more convincing article about a study that was recently published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal:

    Scientist predicts cooling: Times Argus Online
    This will get buried/ignored because the anti-carbon religion is very powerful.

    Many people are heavily invested in the anti-carbon movement, whether financially, politically, or professionally. They want carbon to be the culprit.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  9. #19
    Senior Member syndatha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ
    Posts
    256

    Default

    I think Earth is more powerful than man will ever be - and to think that we are able to cause real damage to Her is both arrogant and foolish.
    But it doesn't hurt to be more polite to Her - we are after all only Her guests
    I have no sense of humour.

  10. #20
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Okay, so Florida freezes over for a week and now we're predicting global cooling?

    Somebody's Disneyworld vacation got interrupted, didn't it?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Similar Threads

  1. GLOBAL COOLING: LONDONISTAN HIT WITH ARCTIC SNOW
    By Smilephantomhive in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-14-2017, 10:18 AM
  2. NASA says fossil fuels cause global cooling
    By SearchingforPeace in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-21-2015, 11:14 PM
  3. The Great Global Warming Swindle
    By reason in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 07-08-2015, 12:04 PM
  4. [NT] Top Three Reasons For Why INTs Suck
    By Haight in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 773
    Last Post: 08-29-2012, 06:57 AM
  5. [NF] Top 3 reasons for why NFs suck...
    By The Ü™ in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 12-24-2008, 04:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO