User Tag List

First 6789 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 81

  1. #71
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That's a big bunch of fail from you, as usual. A cursory look at the pop culture of the 1980s and 1990s would put the lie to your assertions here.
    We are talking about trends. Of course there will be exceptions. Though not everything is 50/50, in reality.

    You never look at the bigger picture, but I know you're not dumb.

  2. #72
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    We are talking about trends. Of course there will be exceptions. Not everything is 50/50, in reality.

    You never look at the bigger picture, but I know you're not dumb.

    YOU never look at the bigger picture, because your ideology blinds you to contradictory evidence. Laissez-faire capitalism was considered by the intelligentsia to be a radical system in the 18th Century, then to be a hip, trendy, liberal system in the 19th Century, and then to be an outdated, reactionary for most of the 20th Century, only to come roaring back in the last quarter-century. There are countless counterexamples to what you are asserting here, but you NEVER acknowledge them.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  3. #73
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    YOU never look at the bigger picture, because your ideology blinds you to contradictory evidence. Laissez-faire capitalism was considered by the intelligentsia to be a radical system in the 18th Century, then to be a hip, trendy, liberal system in the 19th Century, and then to be an outdated, reactionary for most of the 20th Century, only to come roaring back in the last quarter-century. There are countless counterexamples to what you are asserting here, but you NEVER acknowledge them.
    Last time I checked, it ain't 1750. Not to mention that the more "hip and trendy" systems of the 1800s were the up-and-coming German-style corporatist systems adopted by most of Central and Southern Europe (along with hints of such adopted by Western Europe and the Americas) up until World War I. Laissez-faire capitalism was seen as much too chaotic and susceptible to the unrest of the mob, as seen in the 1848 revolutions and the Paris Commune of 1870.

    Oh, and laissez-faire capitalism didn't come "roaring back" since the Reagan/Thatcher eras... in fact, they were quite the opposite - harnessing the government apparatus to reestablish that very German-style corporatist system, where business and government each existed for each others' sake, but unlike the modern German system, since labor is left entirely out of this equation.

  4. #74
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    YOU never look at the bigger picture, because your ideology blinds you to contradictory evidence. Laissez-faire capitalism was considered by the intelligentsia to be a radical system in the 18th Century, then to be a hip, trendy, liberal system in the 19th Century, and then to be an outdated, reactionary for most of the 20th Century, only to come roaring back in the last quarter-century. There are countless counterexamples to what you are asserting here, but you NEVER acknowledge them.
    Compared to left-wing influence, how much would you say the Right influences pop culture? You brought up the 1980s and 1990s, what do you think the split was then? Be honest.

  5. #75
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Compared to left-wing influence, how much would you say the Right influences pop culture? You brought up the 1980s and 1990s, what do you think the split was then? Be honest.

    It was a very hip time to be at least fiscally conservative. More right-wing popular culture influence tends to be far more subtle than does left-wing popular culture, simply because it tends not to wear politics on its sleeve. Also, many people mistakenly lump in popular figures as left-wingers even they don't really fit the mold. Look at Bob Dylan. He loved Woody Guthrie and wrote all these anti-war songs, but his favorite politician was Barry Goldwater. And, of course, thing get co-opted. Gordon Gekko in Wall Street turned out to have far more cultural influence than did Bud Fox and his dad, despite Oliver Stone's political inclinations.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  6. #76
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Compared to left-wing influence, how much would you say the Right influences pop culture? You brought up the 1980s and 1990s, what do you think the split was then? Be honest.
    I'd also like to remind you that you claimed that "conservatism is BY DEFINITION unhip" and that is just retarded.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  7. #77
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I'd also like to remind you that you claimed that "conservatism is BY DEFINITION unhip" and that is just retarded.
    lol, this is why you'll never be cool.

  8. #78
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    lol, this is why you'll never be cool.

    Really? I would bet dollars to euros that my coolness quotient is extremely high compared to most people on these boards. And dollars to gold bricks that it's higher than yours.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  9. #79
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Really? I would bet dollars to euros that my coolness quotient is extremely high compared to most people on these boards. And dollars to gold bricks that it's higher than yours.
    Even if that's true, conservatism isn't a trait in your favor.

    Sorry, but I gotta agree with ajblaise on this one. That's not to say one ideology is superior to the other. Superiority is not the same as popularity.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  10. #80
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Even if that's true, conservatism isn't a trait in your favor.
    That's not the point, although cosmopolitan libertarianism IS cooler than dogmatic leftism.


    Sorry, but I gotta agree with ajblaise on this one. That's not to say one ideology is superior to the other. Superiority is not the same as popularity.
    And coolness is not the same as popularity.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-03-2014, 07:00 AM
  2. It's looking like Zimmerman is going to be Acquitted
    By DiscoBiscuit in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 472
    Last Post: 07-18-2013, 07:37 PM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-28-2012, 05:26 PM
  4. [NT] Is it possible to be a social INTx?
    By Illmatic in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-08-2011, 03:14 PM
  5. Is this where i go to be cut into the gang?
    By phthalocyanine in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-04-2009, 03:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO