User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Now just imagine there was no government. In that case, business could agree to make rules with each other and there wouldn't even be a chance of a third party bringing the hammer down.

My formulation goes like this:

No government: Monopoly or oligopoly is inevitable.
    Government: Monopoly and oligopoly may be aid, or it may be attacked.

Your odds are at leat better with the government.
    Not necessarily. It's EXTREMELY difficult for monopolies or oligopolies to exist without the aid of government in some way.

I think most of the human race can have their thoughts partially manufactured. I would presume yours have been, too. The issue then, is that if you really don't care about it one way or the other, than you basically don't care about the state of things for all of humanity. You're just saying "let it be". You have no social policy.
    My thoughts have been influenced by my upbringing and my surroundings, certainly. However, I have always been fiercely individualistic (in world view, anyway; I am a very outgoing, extrovert people person in personality and behavior). I don't worship at the altar of heroes and idols. I wish people did think about things more often, but I am not going to try to impose thoughtfulness or good taste on an unwilling public. Besides, bad movies that make shitloads of money are necessary to make good movies that maybe break even. I wouldn't even try to guess how many good movies were made (or will be made in the future) because of Titanic or Pirates of the Caribbean. "Social policy" seems like a hoity-toity way of saying "the way I would make things if I had control." Well, I don't WANT control over other people. I want freedom for all. For some, that is going to be freedom to be ignorant.

Or to put it another way... If people have such soft brains that governments are able to manufacture their thoughts, and tell them what makes them happy, then you shouldn't have sympathy for them either. The government will make populist moves, it will make a lot of people very happy, and a few people very politically powerful (and realistically, very rich).
    I don't have much sympathy for people who don't think about government, either. However, governments NEVER make a lot of people very happy, so I wouldn't worry too much about that happening. Also, there is a major difference between the natures of governments and corporations, given that governments have a monopoly of their own: the legal use of compulsion by force.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Not necessarily. It's EXTREMELY difficult for monopolies or oligopolies to exist without the aid of government in some way.
    Yeah, I don't believe that. Monopolies have a tough time of things usually, but oligopolies grow like kudzu.

My thoughts have been influenced by my upbringing and my surroundings, certainly. However, I have always been fiercely individualistic (in world view, anyway; I am a very outgoing, extrovert people person in personality and behavior). I don't worship at the altar of heroes and idols. I wish people did think about things more often, but I am not going to try to impose thoughtfulness or good taste on an unwilling public. Besides, bad movies that make shitloads of money are necessary to make good movies that maybe break even. I wouldn't even try to guess how many good movies were made (or will be made in the future) because of Titanic or Pirates of the Caribbean. "Social policy" seems like a hoity-toity way of saying "the way I would make things if I had control." Well, I don't WANT control over other people. I want freedom for all. For some, that is going to be freedom to be ignorant.
    But many say ignorance leads to enslavement. Freedom to be ignorant is the choice to give up freedom.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Yeah, I don't believe that. Monopolies have a tough time of things usually, but oligopolies grow like kudzu.
    I think that the government is the main source of barriers to entry for most businesses. They mess around with the market in almost every circumstance. Also, one or a few industries dominating an industry is not NECESSARILY bad for consumers. Look at the unbelievable strides we have had in computer technology in the past twenty years with only a few firms dominating, Microsoft chief among them.

But many say ignorance leads to enslavement. Freedom to be ignorant is the choice to give up freedom.
    I think freedom and economic abundance tend to produce more educated and less ignorant people. However, it can also lead to malaise and apathy, as you can see with many middle-class Americans.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I think that the government is the main source of barriers to entry for most businesses. They mess around with the market in almost every circumstance.
    Without the government though, business still have anti-competitive desires, and a sort of elimination bracket pattern forms. As always, those who have, get. The development of power among those who succeed is hyperbolas, and it eventually narrows down to a position where the few successors have so much power that they can prey on any ambitious upstarts or small hold-outs.

At least with the government, it can be called upon to enact anti-trust laws and so forth.

Also, one or a few industries dominating an industry is not NECESSARILY bad for consumers. Look at the unbelievable strides we have had in computer technology in the past twenty years with only a few firms dominating, Microsoft chief among them.
    And Microsoft is a very example of what I speak. And saying it's position is beneficial is a mighty conentious assertion. The computer science people I know say the development of computers is rather disappointing and bitch about Microsoft products all of the time. Microsoft, according to them, has halted progress as much or more than it's initiated it.

I think freedom and economic abundance tend to produce more educated and less ignorant people. However, it can also lead to malaise and apathy, as you can see with many middle-class Americans.
    But if people use their freedom to choose to be ignorant, and ignorance prevents people from making the kinds of decisions necessary to exercise their and maintain their freedom, we have a hole. Do you choose to let it go?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    Bad entertainment is profitable???
    Sure. Think about Paris Hilton or Brittney Spears reality shows. Transformers 2 Revenge of the Fallen.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    Sure. Think about Paris Hilton or Brittney Spears reality shows. Transformers 2 Revenge of the Fallen.
    Paris Hilton's album had a few very good songs, and I will never get tired of "Toxic."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Paris Hilton's album had a few very good songs, and I will never get tired of "Toxic."
    Still talking about that fantastic Paris Hilton album, Merc?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Still talking about that fantastic Paris Hilton album, Merc?
    I was surprised. The big single and a couple of other songs are quite good. I mean, it had almost nothing to do with Paris Hilton herself, but a lot of mainstream pop songs are basically well-made vehicles that just need a big personality to get in the driver's seat after they roll off the assembly line.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I actually like a lot of Brittney Spears music. Have several CDs. Saw her in concert, though I wish she had actually sung more. The point is on the bad entertainment - the TV shows were somewhat trash - but at the same time, you had a hard time not watching them. Bad entertainment that makes money.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    I actually like a lot of Brittney Spears music. Have several CDs. Saw her in concert, though I wish she had actually sung more. The point is on the bad entertainment - the TV shows were somewhat trash - but at the same time, you had a hard time not watching them. Bad entertainment that makes money.

Which is better than bad entertainment that makes no money (i.e., the majority of commercial art).