123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default I wrote a letter to my senator.

Will she receive it?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFJ

The idea in it might be too pink for her liking. Perhaps I should have written to that one senator in Vermont. However, I do not live in Vermont...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

They will get it.

Will she read it is a better question. A staffer is a more likely bet. If that.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    They will get it.

Will she read it is a better question. A staffer is a more likely bet. If that.
    See, you say "they," not "she". I mean the Senator herself, not some staffer. I know the letter is somewhere in her staff's system now. I'm betting that if a staffer reads it it's going to be thrown out without a second glance, and she'll never even hear of it.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I wrote once to a member of the european parliament. She got the mail, answered it, and had misunderstood my point completely.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I wrote once to a member of the european parliament. She got the mail, answered it, and had misunderstood my point completely.
    Um, may I ask what you wrote her?

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Um, may I ask what you wrote her?
    You ever heard of "planned obsolescence"? Things are designed to break. I suggested that there should be a system to make it profitable for the companies to make things that last. My idea was that the designed longetivity of a product is to be marked so that you can see when you are buying something if it is meant to last for two years, five years or more. Of course the long lasting things would be much more expensive as the companies would need to consider that they can't sell another product to the consumer before the first one breaks. So, in selling one good product, they would "lose" the possibility of selling a poor product after the first one it totalled.

Anyhow, my idea was based on the motivation for the companies to design good stuff. She replied that she thinks that it would be easier to have five years guarantee for every product sold in EU. So, she didn't see that if you motivate the companies to build things like this, there would be a competition of who can promise more longetivity. The five year guarantee wont take the longetivity up, it will only leave it to five years.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    You ever heard of "planned obsolescence"? Things are designed to break. I suggested that there should be a system to make it profitable for the companies to make things that last. My idea was that the designed longetivity of a product is to be marked so that you can see when you are buying something if it is meant to last for two years, five years or more. Of course the long lasting things would be much more expensive as the companies would need to consider that they can't sell another product to the consumer before the first one breaks. So, in selling one good product, they would "lose" the possibility of selling a poor product after the first one it totalled.

Anyhow, my idea was based on the motivation for the companies to design good stuff. She replied that she thinks that it would be easier to have five years guarantee for every product sold in EU. So, she didn't see that if you motivate the companies to build things like this, there would be a competition of who can promise more longetivity. The five year guarantee wont take the longetivity up, it will only leave it to five years.
    That is... strange.

I wrote about how much of the seemingly permanent job loss with increasing profits is due to firms firing people and being able to work the remaining employees harder because they fear losing their jobs. So, I proposed cutting the American work week to about 45 hrs a week. Many people do not work longer than this but some people work over 60 hrs a week -- this would mean that, potentially, for every person that worked 60 hrs there would now be one person who who worked 45 hrs and a new part-time position (15 hrs), and perhaps for every 2 people that worked 60 hrs there would be two people who worked 45 hrs and a new full-time position (30 hrs). Because of this for a firm to maintain or increase profits they would have to hire more people instead of working those already employed longer hours (this has been going on since about 2001).

MBTI
    ENFJ

That is... strange.

I wrote about how much of the seemingly permanent job loss with increasing profits is due to firms firing people and being able to work the remaining employees harder because they fear losing their jobs. So, I proposed cutting the American work week to about 45 hrs a week. Many people do not work longer than this but some people work over 60 hrs a week -- this would mean that, potentially, for every person that worked 60 hrs there would now be one person who who worked 45 hrs and a new part-time position (15 hrs), and perhaps for every 2 people that worked 60 hrs there would be two people who worked 45 hrs and a new full-time position (30 hrs). Because of this for a firm to maintain or increase profits they would have to hire more people instead of working those already employed longer hours (this has been going on since about 2001).
    that may be a good idea but the problem is lots of jobs require more than 45 hours a week. they tend to be jobs with a lot of responsiblity. i dont think there is a way to tell, in a legislative sense, who is being overworked when its unnecesary, and who actualy has to work 56 or 62 hours a week to get their job done.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I've wondered why unemployment isn't handled like that... It seems like a relatively easy way to control it. They could even do it every year, see how many hours everyone needs to work to have unemployment as down as possible. It can't go to zero by this method, I think, since many people are unemployed because they are on the wrong sector, or live in wrong place and so on... still, it seems worth trying.