User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    See, you say "they," not "she". I mean the Senator herself, not some staffer. I know the letter is somewhere in her staff's system now. I'm betting that if a staffer reads it it's going to be thrown out without a second glance, and she'll never even hear of it.
    At a guess, she won't pay much attention to it because its not presented (either through some "special interests" group or through sheer volume) as a concern of a substantial proportion of her constituents. Even then, the technical merits of your particular proposal will probably not be considered unless you have an impressive name/career.

Generally, if you have some concern you want addressed that is outside the public radar, you should join or attempt to join a "special interests" group (don't be put off by the term, ALL interests are "special interests") and through their influence make it a part of the public political discussion. After that, prudent politicians will pay attention to a large volume of mail concerning any particular issue.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    that may be a good idea but the problem is lots of jobs require more than 45 hours a week. they tend to be jobs with a lot of responsiblity. i dont think there is a way to tell, in a legislative sense, who is being overworked when its unnecesary, and who actualy has to work 56 or 62 hours a week to get their job done.
    Yes, this is the problem, I am guessing that it could be made more like you can't make somebody work more than 45 hours a week, if that makes any sense, to keep their jobs, to be considered for advancement, etc-- one cannot be "punished" for refusing to work more than 45 hours a week, perhaps. However, the sort of jobs that absolutely require this amount of work are often very upper-level jobs that not a lot of people have.

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I've wondered why unemployment isn't handled like that... It seems like a relatively easy way to control it. They could even do it every year, see how many hours everyone needs to work to have unemployment as down as possible. It can't go to zero by this method, I think, since many people are unemployed because they are on the wrong sector, or live in wrong place and so on... still, it seems worth trying.
    I am not talking about eliminating unemployment (which is pretty much impossible) but lowering it to a manageable level and stopping a disturbing trend of firing and overworking those who remain. I don't know if firms would realize that it could be good for them, though; generally, people who are employed want to buy more stuff, and that wanting to buy more stuff will eventually come back to them.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    At a guess, she won't pay much attention to it because its not presented (either through some "special interests" group or through sheer volume) as a concern of a substantial proportion of her constituents. Even then, the technical merits of your particular proposal will probably not be considered unless you have an impressive name/career.

Generally, if you have some concern you want addressed that is outside the public radar, you should join or attempt to join a "special interests" group (don't be put off by the term, ALL interests are "special interests") and through their influence make it a part of the public political discussion. After that, prudent politicians will pay attention to a large volume of mail concerning any particular issue.
    I don't know. It does concern a lot of her constituents -- it concerns job creation. One of the cities in the state has about the worst job market in the country. Despite the fact that it wouldn't cost the government much, like the stimulus packages, it's still considered an "unorthodox" approach and would probably not get much attention.

Sigh.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Your Senator will get a one bullet point summary of your letter next April, and then it will be completely forgotten about.

If you contributed $10,000 or more to their campaign fund, you would get a signed (aka "stamped") letter written by a staffer.

Unless you know (a) someone important, or (b) something that is potentially very embarrassing/revealing (and included pictures) you will get a patsy, politically correct B.S. response.

Just a hunch.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    entp

That is... strange.

I wrote about how much of the seemingly permanent job loss with increasing profits is due to firms firing people and being able to work the remaining employees harder because they fear losing their jobs. So, I proposed cutting the American work week to about 45 hrs a week. Many people do not work longer than this but some people work over 60 hrs a week -- this would mean that, potentially, for every person that worked 60 hrs there would now be one person who who worked 45 hrs and a new part-time position (15 hrs), and perhaps for every 2 people that worked 60 hrs there would be two people who worked 45 hrs and a new full-time position (30 hrs). Because of this for a firm to maintain or increase profits they would have to hire more people instead of working those already employed longer hours (this has been going on since about 2001).
    this is actually not a bad idea at all...except its not practical in all cases. for the jobs where it may work, it is already implemented. like a a grocery store manager...there are 2-3 manager for each one of those huge chain stored

where it may not work is in a technical company where person A works long hours. person B cannot do his job unless person b has been with person A every step of the way.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    this is actually not a bad idea at all...except its not practical in all cases. for the jobs where it may work, it is already implemented. like a a grocery store manager...there are 2-3 manager for each one of those huge chain stored

where it may not work is in a technical company where person A works long hours. person B cannot do his job unless person b has been with person A every step of the way.
    The problem is that in the places where "it is already implemented" it is falling out of style. People in these jobs were asked to pick up the slack when downsizing occurred in 2001, and by 2007 they were still holding that slack. Pretty much what was supposed to be a temporary solution became an integral part of business strategy. Now with this current recession companies are maintaining and even improving profits by laying off people and making the remaining employees work harder so that they don't get layed off too. We tried stimulating the economy by making it possible for banks to loan more money to firms and entrepreneurs, but instead of loaning for future profits, they're just hoarding it. Legislation like this would send a more direct message about what we need to happen to keep out of recessions and recoveries like these.

I know that there are some cases in which a 45 work week would be near impossible, but that's what legislation is for, creating loopholes.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Will she receive it?
    The office will receive it, not the senator personally. Once received in the office, an intern will categorise it into an archive, and possibly a staffer will actually read it. Too many letters and calls come in to senators, so the issue of the letter is identified, and then it is recorded that you are either for or against the issue.

This is roughly what happens where I worked.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    ...then it is recorded that you are either for or against the issue.

This is roughly what happens where I worked.
    Haha! It boils down to that, huh?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INTx

I'd think it would depend on the senator and how he/she handles workload. Likely an aide will read it.

I've found politicians receptive to feedback. I think they understand that one (rational) vocalization likely represents numerous others who feel the same on an issue but have not expressed it. They may seem to be unreachable at times but do have a vested interest in keeping voters in their favor.

The last time I sent an email to a minister there was about a week delay, then a flurry of activity in response. It was nice. My email wasn't a general suggestion though, it was more of a "your local people are being incompetent and this is why".

MBTI
    INTJ

Will she receive it?
    Yes, probably.

Will she read it? Unlikely.

I worked for a state rep for some time. He was probably one of the most powerful state reps in Texas, and even so, probably got nowhere near the amount of feedback that a Senator gets. The simple fact is that they get too much input to read and answer personally. Your opinion will very likely be noted and factored in to the information about constituency opinion, but it's unrealistic to expect it to really alter anything by itself.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume