User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: France 'to criminalise shouting at your wife'

12 and a half weeks Array BerberElla's Avatar
    MBTI
    infp

Default France 'to criminalise shouting at your wife'

France 'to criminalise shouting at your wife'

Married couples could be arrested and charged for insulting each other under a new law in France banning 'psychological violence'.

Published: 7:00AM GMT 06 Jan 2010

The proposed legislation would punish partners who 'overstep the mark' during verbal spats in the home.

The law would apply to husbands and wives, as well as cohabiting couples.

It is expected to cover every kind of slur from repeated rude remarks about a partner's appearance, false allegations of infidelity and threats of physical violence.

Police are being urged to issue a caution in the first instance of a reported crime, but repeat offenders could face a fine, electronic tagging or jail.

The law, being put forward by the prime minister, Francois Fillon, is aimed at protecting women who are the main victims of abuse in the home.

But men would also have the right to report their wives for verbal abuse.

Mr Fillon said: "It's an important move forward as the creation of this offence will let us tackle the most insidious situations, the ones that leave no physical scars but which still injure the victims inside."

But some experts have called the law a gimmick that will be impossible to enforce, and that the government should not be interfere in non-violent domestic squabbles.

Rest of article here
    Even though I've been on the recieving end of psychological abuse, I don't actually support this new law France is looking at.

People argue all the time, say things in the heat of the moment they didn't mean. It's going to cost a hell of alot of money financing the investigations into whether it's the kind of psychological abuse I suffered and that I believe should be punishable, to the kind of yelling some happy couples actually do.

My sister and her husband would be nicked on a daily basis and yet they seem quite happily married in an odd, call each other all the names under the sun, kind of way.

I don't think the government has a right to interfere quite so much, don't you?

Thoughts?
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    INFP

Great.

I don't think they are trying to pass the law so that the government can interfere, per se, but so that there are laws set in place so that if the abused spouse wants to press charges, she'll have grounds to do so.

Senior Member Array avolkiteshvara's Avatar
    MBTI
    YaYa

There are too many deaf wives in France. Lets stop that today.

He pronks, too! Array Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Well, at least it's only proposed, and not actually passed yet.

I think it would indeed be impossible to enforce. The measures it would take to actually enforce it would be disturbingly draconian. Perhaps as disregard said, it is to give people the option. However that still bothers me, because I can imagine now all of the stupid, to petty, to manipulative ways this could be used by one member of a couple or another. And to whatever degree the police do try to enforce it, is the degree to which the police waste resources that could be spent on something better.

The law will either fail to be enforced enough to make a difference, or it will became a great annoyance and mental burden France.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

What a bogus law. If your bitch is perpetually ugly, you oughtta be able to tell her without going to jail, right? I mean this is a man's sexual gratification in jeopardy...

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Why is it being headlined as this:

France 'to criminalise shouting at your wife'
    if it's really this:

The law would apply to husbands and wives...
    also:
    It is expected to cover every kind of slur from repeated rude remarks about a partner's appearance, false allegations of infidelity and threats of physical violence.
    We can't even moderate a forum like this without a lot of headaches and arguments over punishment and what is enforceable or not. Aside from clear-cut long-term abuse and threats of physical violence, most of this seems absolutely unenforceable and something that should be handled by a therapist or counselor, not a court; it's a matter of maturity and not necessarily a crime.

I'm merely hoping that most people who are in LTRs wouldn't be treating each other so poorly and this is just meant to apply to relationships where one spouse is clearly abusing the other, to give some sort of grounds for correction.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

12 and a half weeks Array BerberElla's Avatar
    MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Why is it being headlined as this:

if it's really this:

Sorry, I was just copy pasting the title.

You know the papers, catchy dramatic headline.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson Array
    MBTI
    Hype

I'm not an expert of French culture, but wouldn't criminalizing this eliminate like 80% of the interactions between couples/spouses over there? Drama, drama, drama..... The French loves them some drama. non?

Where's Eck these days? he's actually needed for once.....

Artisan Conquerer Array Halla74's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Good luck enforcing that, French coppers!

--------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    INTP

When I was younger, I would have just laughed at this. Now, I'm pissed off by the implications and ramifications of such legislation.