User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

For instance, this morning somebody asked me why Parisians were so condescending and mean against foreigners that try to speak French...

Frankly, what could I say, besides the fact it's a total myth, that I've never witnessed such a curious behaviour in the city where I live?

It's just a bias appearing out of nowhere.

---

Of course, I answered, if you're a native English speaker who behave like an imperialist pig visiting a conquered country, and if you directly ask your way to Disneyworld in English without saying "Excusez-moi?", or "Pardon?", well, chances are you might get an annoyed or condescending response.

Politeness is mandatory here. And learning two or three basic words in the local language -even if just after that you resume your sentences in English- is really the least you could do: it's a question of respect.

I've always done that even in the middle of Africa.

But that's all.

And really, Frenchmen are really proud when an American or an Englishman try to adress them in French, and ask them about their culture and monuments rather than their way to the closest MacDonald's. Chances are you might get a big smile and instant attention.

Is it really hard to understand why?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    For instance, this morning somebody asked me why Parisans were so condescending and mean against foreigners that try to speak French...

Frankly, what could I say, besides the fact it's a total myth, that I've never witnessed such a curious behaviour in the city where I live?

It's just a bias appearing out of nowhere.

---

Of course, I answered, if you're a native English speaker who behave like an imperialist pig visiting a conquered country, and if you directly ask your way to Disneyworld in English without saying "Excusez-moi?", or "Pardon?", well, chances are you might get an annoyed or condescending response.

Politeness is mandatory here. And learning two or three basic words in the local language -even if just after that you continue your sentences in English- is really the least you could do: it's a question of respect.

I've always done that even in the middle of Africa.

But that's all.

And really, Frenchmen are really proud when an American or an Englishman try to adress them in French, and ask them about their culture and monuments rather than their way to the next MacDo. Chances are you might get a big smile and instant attention.

Is it really hard to understood why?
    See, Midwesterners are truly the rude ones. They direct you very politely where you want to go and then make fun of your accent as soon as you leave.

As I hear the Japanese are pretty polite too. That's probably why they named a syndrome after your fair city.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Well, he wouldn't be defending them if he were an Englishman, would he?

Nothing the French do really surprises me given their anti-hijab law.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

The American legal system is confusing enough.
    Indeed!
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Sniffles

And really, Frenchmen are really proud when an American or an Englishman try to adress them in French, and ask them about their culture and monuments rather than their way to the closest MacDonald's. Chances are you might get a big smile and instant attention.
    Even if your pronounciation is less than perfect?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Even if your pronounciation is less than perfect?
    Sure why?

It's not the pronounciation that counts, it's rather the quality and the meaning of the words you pick.

For instance:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56NmdpO_7Fo"]Meaning matters![/YOUTUBE]

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENFJ

Sure why?

It's not the pronounciation that counts, it's rather the quality and the meaning of the words you pick.

For instance:
    So these are appropriate things to say in French, because they have different meaning? Or only in Hungarian?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

So these are appropriate things to say in French, because they have different meaning? Or only in Hungarian?
    Guess!

7w8 SCUxI

Sniffles

LMFAO! That's my favorite Monty Python skit, besides the Spanish Inquisition or when Terry Jones thinks he's Trotsky.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Guess!
    Euh, je n'acheterai pas ce disque parce qu'il est ray?