User Tag List

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default Is the internet materialistic?

People keep commenting that "the West has become materialistic" while the internet is overtaking the West.

Westerners are now providing tons of free services and entertainment to others simply because they have way too much free time on their hands. Is this affecting how Westerners view the world? Will it?

Just wondering.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    People keep commenting that "the West has become materialistic" while the internet is overtaking the West.

Westerners are now providing tons of free services and entertainment to others simply because they have way too much free time on their hands. Is this affecting how Westerners view the world? Will it?

Just wondering.
    Well if your notion of free is what I think, then yes I think it is affecting the west. My generation has grown up with A LOT more FREE stuff. Freeware, P2P etc

Think about it: free music, free videos, free tv, free movies, free software, even near free stuff (ebay).

And a lot of it is both legal (youtube) and illegal (torrents etc), so no one misses out. I think people have become a lot more interested in the ideas of a post scarcity society (obvious political implications).

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    Well if your notion of free is what I think, then yes I think it is affecting the west. My generation has grown up with A LOT more FREE stuff. Freeware, P2P etc

Think about it: free music, free videos, free tv, free movies, free software, even near free stuff (ebay).

And a lot of it is both legal (youtube) and illegal (torrents etc), so no one misses out. I think people have become a lot more interested in the ideas of a post scarcity society (obvious political implications).
    Yes, there's that argument of the definition of "free".

I frequent a knitting website called knitty.com for patterns. I am able to look at them and print them out for "free" (I pay the cost to maintain my computer and printer and internet service, but the website is not getting anything from me). However, the people who create the patterns do not work for free -- often, they work on $75-100 commission to make them. They get paid by the companies that post stuff on the site, that I see as ads in the margins.

Can this be considered "free?" I mean, a lot of the "free" services online are supported by advertisements. Somebody is getting paid, but the user isn't doing it if they don't pay attention to the advertisement. I guess it depends. There are some newspapers that I can find in restaurants that are "free," supported by advertisements, but when I turn on the television to a local channel and watch a show and get bombarded with commercials during the break, it is not generally considered "free". Why not?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge