User Tag List

123 Last

Phantonym

Default Muhammad cartoons backlash

An attempt to kill the cartoonist? Seriously? It happened 4 years ago and they're still wasting time on some plotting?

Original article - Danish cartoonist home attacker had terror links | Reuters

COPENHAGEN (Reuters) - Danish police said on Saturday they shot and wounded a Somali man with al Qaeda links when he tried to break into the home of a cartoonist whose 2005 caricatures of Prophet Mohammad sparked global Muslim outrage.

The 28-year-old man, armed with a knife and axe, failed to get into Kurt Westergaard's home in the town of Aarhus late on Friday and was shot in the leg and hand after he threw the axe at a policeman, a police spokesman said.

The man, now under arrest, had "close ties to the Somali terror organization al-Shabaab as well as to al-Qaeda leaders in East Africa," the Danish Security and Intelligence Service PET said in a statement.

The man, who had a legal residence permit for Denmark, was also "suspected of being involved in terror-related activities in East Africa," it said.

The security service said the man, who would be charged with attempting to kill Westergaard and the police officer, had been involved in a "terror-related network" that had long been under investigation in connection with threats to Westergaard.

"PET looks very seriously upon this case which once again confirms the terror threat directed against Denmark and the cartoonist Kurt Westergaard in particular," PET chief Jakob Scharf said in the statement.

Westergaard, 74, who depicted Prophet Mohammad with a bomb in his turban, was not hurt in the incident, a police spokesman said.

He said police were investigating whether the Somali man acted alone in the attempted attack at Westergaard's home, which is widely reported to be under tight security.

Last year, U.S. authorities arrested two men in Chicago who were suspected of planning attacks on Westergaard and his newspaper Jyllands-Posten, which published the caricatures of Prophet Mohammed.

Most Muslims consider any depiction of the founder of Islam as offensive, and when other newspapers reprinted the caricatures in 2006 it triggered violence in a number of countries.

Three Danish embassies were attacked and at least 50 people were killed in rioting in the Middle East, Africa and Asia. Several young Muslims have since been convicted in Denmark of planning bomb attacks, partly in protest at the cartoons.

In 2008, Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden said Europe would be punished for the cartoons. Denmark's Muslim community makes up about 3 percent of the 5.5 million population.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Fanatics have long memories. They get worked up over things that happened a thousand years ago, let alone five.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

You would think Extremist muslims would know what happens to someone who gets killed for this kind of thing: Martyrdom.

and killing a 74 year old ? What's the point?

This ongoing manhunt for a cartoonist of all people is evidence that there is a huge cultural conflict between the West and Islamic nations that isn't going to be easily solved.

That being said, i think it's comical that while we target their rebel terrorist leaders with drones and precision bombings, they target our cartoonists - with KNIVES! so leet

Why is my first impulse to try and publish an entire book of cartoons the same.

MBTI
    ENFJ

But it's a cartoon!

Some people really just don't have their priorities straight.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Why do these cartoons threaten these parts of the Muslim community so much, that they would kill to prevent the cartoons from spreading? Not "what pushes them that far?" but "what pushes them in that direction?"

Of course it violates Islam, as idolatry, we have learned that. But what about the symbolism, the propaganda power? (I read recently about a battle in which the flag was raised over a captured building, and the enemy put extreme priority in taking down that flag, knowing its propaganda power.)

Can displaying a blasphemous cartoon be seen (by influential clerics and organizers/leaders) as any other form of Western debauchery, tempting righteous, religious Muslim citizens into other sinful, nasty activities? So they realize the necessity of destroying these Western propaganda in-roads. I'm trying to think of their angle of motivation, and interpret it into something we can easily understand and feel for ourselves.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 01-02-2010 at 08:54 AM. Reason: more explicit explanation
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

I had homicidal fantasies about offing the guy who writes the Peanuts newspaper comic. But then I found out he was already dead. He must be entering in new submissions as a zombie, a wrath, or a Skeleton Warrior with a ring of invisibility +2 or something.

He really shouldn't be dissing Halloween like dat

BTW if you kill the undead is it murder?
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    An attempt to kill the cartoonist? Seriously? It happened 4 years ago and they're still wasting time on some plotting?
    If this surprises you, then you haven't been paying attention.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Some people need a humor transplant. It seems that their original sense of humor has atrophied.

Miserable people want everyone around them to be miserable as well.

A bunch of whiny, miserable, babies, throwing a temper tantrum.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

And you gotta admit it kinda works. When was the last time you saw the prophet in an offensive cartoon compare to Jesus. Cartoonists and their publishers are total pussies when push comes to shove.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"