User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 17

  1. #1
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,642

    Default There's nothing on...

    This is really for UK visitors but I suppose everyone cold chip in their own bit but I dont pretend to have a knowledge beyond were I live and were I've grown up really.

    I think that TV broadcasting has really declined in the time I've been viewing, I remember childhood were there were about four channels (the creation of a fifth channel was a real big deal) but always something to watch, you could channel hop and find something to watch, at the moment its more likely that you'll browse and settle on the least shit option (generally reruns of old BBC productions or X-Files or other sci fi which used you be broadcast in the evenings after dinner time by the BBC mainly).

    What does anyone else think?

  2. #2
    Senior Member tinkerbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,487

    Default

    LOL @ four channels... actually for the longet time there was only 3....

    yea what is viewing is rubbish, really rubbish, but then if you look at older stuff its not so great either... it is how TV sits within other media/choices....

    Right now we have increased number in terestiral TV, and cabel is just rocketing, but then there is only about 4 things I watch regularly beyond soaps... and soaps only because there are on.... Nothing much apepals...

    So yea I totally agree - to the point I've just come back having bought a blue ray player....

  3. #3
    desert pelican Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    717

    Default

    Didn't you already create this thread?

    The quality of our television programming reflects the quality of our values as a culture. T.V. is a way to peddle soap and cars to the lowest common denominator. Today, that's pretty low.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Didn't you already create this thread?

    The quality of our television programming reflects the quality of our values as a culture. T.V. is a way to peddle soap and cars to the lowest common denominator. Today, that's pretty low.
    I could have done you know. If its a duplicate then it can be canned or whatever's the form.

    I've been reading Curtis White's The Middle Mind this morning and thinking about just what's available to watch on the TV this morning. So far there's been some animated movies and now the Simpsons, a little entertaining but that's the height of it. Its not even really prime time either.

    Glad I got some collections of DVDs for Christmas so I can watch what I want.

  5. #5
    desert pelican Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I could have done you know. If its a duplicate then it can be canned or whatever's the form.

    I've been reading Curtis White's The Middle Mind this morning and thinking about just what's available to watch on the TV this morning. So far there's been some animated movies and now the Simpsons, a little entertaining but that's the height of it. Its not even really prime time either.

    Glad I got some collections of DVDs for Christmas so I can watch what I want.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...e-we-know.html

    Not the same, but similar enough to ring a bell.

    "Savaging a Sacred Cow." Yikes. (Just read the Amazon review of The Middle Mind). I've generally found the NPR crowd to be better educated than otherwise. Then again, just because you're the sweetest smelling thing in a sewer that doesn't make you a rose. And its not like getting a college degree in this country actually requires any thought.

    Oi, I'm like >--< this close to getting my Irish passport and expatriating to the green isle. Is it any better over there?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...e-we-know.html

    Not the same, but similar enough to ring a bell.

    "Savaging a Sacred Cow." Yikes. (Just read the Amazon review of The Middle Mind). I've generally found the NPR crowd to be better educated than otherwise. Then again, just because you're the sweetest smelling thing in a sewer that doesn't make you a rose. And its not like getting a college degree in this country actually requires any thought.

    Oi, I'm like >--< this close to getting my Irish passport and expatriating to the green isle. Is it any better over there?
    No, definitely not, especially not in Northern Ireland. I think the history of the north of ireland has put an end to the place and no one knows it yet. I cant think of many more dumbshit place but the UK mainland is supposedly worse.

    The ROI could be slightly better, they're a younger nation and younger on the world scene too havent bought just as many of the popular messages.

    Yeah, that thread is a bit different, it was meant to be about the importance of TV as an institution per se, this one is a little bit more of a general whine that its not even any good at what its supposed to be good at, allowing people to veg out.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    About eight years ago here in the US, I subscribed to Digital Cable. 146 channels and discovered there wasn't a damned thing on worth watching after three more so education channels finally cycled through their entire available viewing content.

    I haven't watched or had television service since. I just use the LCD for DVDs, and don't view anything for over four to six hours a week.

  8. #8
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,130

    Default

    yeah.. our tv is purely used for dvds, videogames and streaming netflix through the ps3...


    the really disturbing thing is the crap that kids these days are expected to watch... it just doesn't have the greatness of Smurfs or 321 contact!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  9. #9
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,678

    Default

    Well I am neither from US or UK and I can clearly say that watching TV has become complete waste of time. (because of the quality of the program)

    So I don't watch it anymore.

  10. #10
    Phantonym
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Well I am neither from US or UK and I can clearly say that watching TV has become complete waste of time. (because of the quality of the program)

    So I don't watch it anymore.
    Yeah, same for me too.

    The shows and movies keep on repeating and the whole experience leaves me feeling like the people who are in charge of the TV programs treat their audience like they're the biggest morons alive. Maybe their hands are tied, there are probably funding issues or maybe there are a dozen excuses but the bottom line is, they'll keep losing the viewers if they don't start doing something about that.

Similar Threads

  1. [ESFJ] Why are there no ESFJs on Typology Central?
    By RaptorWizard in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: 03-06-2014, 05:27 PM
  2. There's Nothing You Can Do About It
    By Such Irony in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-12-2012, 01:32 AM
  3. There's nothing new to see here on this forum
    By Such Irony in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 06-18-2011, 10:57 AM
  4. "There is nothing to gain from my Inferior Function"
    By VagrantFarce in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-28-2009, 10:28 PM
  5. [ESFP] Why isn't there any threads on ESFP's?
    By Eiddy in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-28-2009, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO