User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default "Collapse" - Revelatory New Film About Impending Global Collapse

Has anyone else heard of or seen this film? I just watched it today, and I thought it was unsettling and revealing. This isn't the first time I've read about our civilization heading towards disaster; but in this film, Michael Ruppert explains the whole ordeal with great clarity, supported by 30 years of investigation. He really lays it all out. His main argument is that there isn't enough oil left in the world to sustain our lifestyle, and we haven't yet found an alternative resource to take its place. The consequence of this is that very soon we will experience an even bigger economic collapse, of which Ruppert illustrates the frightening ramifications. Ebert's review does a much better job of explaining the ideas in the documentary than I can. And here's an interview with Ruppert where he discusses some of what he talks about in "Collapse".

Here's the trailer: YouTube - COLLAPSE - Theatrical Movie Trailer
    If you look hard enough, you can watch the whole thing online.

So what do you think about this? Are we going to experience something catastrophic in our lifetime? I have a feeling it might not be far from the truth. It's already beginning to happen. Let's face it, we live in a culture of excess that isn't sustainable. Sooner or later, shit will hit the fan. The most unsettling part in all of this is knowing there isn't anything any of us can do about it except sit back, and wait for the inevitable to happen.

MBTI
    ENFJ

You don't believe people can figure out sustainable energy?

Well, if everyone thought like that, there's no use to do anything. Might as well just kill ourselves now. Does he support the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement? Let's make it involuntary for good measure.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

We can very carefully get out of this situation, and I strongly advise trying to do it. But while it is possible and what I will push for, I can't say I have much faith in society pulling it off.

I fear the worst in the next 100 to 200 years.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Very interested in seeing this, thanks for the heads up. However, nothing fosters a little extra "giddyup" than necessity. While it would be ideal for it not to get to that point, once we do I think innovation in terms of energy resources would come fairly quickly. We'd probably lose a lot of people sure, but I don't think it would be species threatening.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I would never think of it as species threatening. It seems that the worst case scenario is we revert to pre-industrial technology and population capacity permanently.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

The reason why we use oil is that so far it has been the cheapest energy source. It is not going to be that way anymore. We are at the point now that oil is going to become increasingly more expensive to extract. Therefore we will start using alternative energy sources, but they will be more expensive than oil was in the past.

So will the shortage of oil cause something "catastrophic" in our lifetime? Depends on what you mean by catastrophic. I wouldn't say that it will be more catastrophic then our current recession.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    enfp

the concept of peak oil has been around for a while.

you could actually drive a natural gas or electric car if you want right now, but its just more inconvenient and expensive. but hell, plasma's were 3X the price they are now than three years ago. im sure those two options at least will become cheaper and better if there was no other alternative. i mean, what the heck do you have people who get engineering degrees, PHD's in sciences, etc... if they can't make things better, cheaper, faster, cleaner, etc... ?

if people can't innovate, then maybe its time to just give up and move to some mountain anyways.

(btw, this guy is kind of retarded. So many people were saying there was a housing bubble in 2005. In fact, a lot of people were surprised that the bubble lasted as long as it did to 2007. What he cites as his "expertise" and "credentials" was what a lot of people said. For instance, HSBC Extra: Housing bubble is real, report says - MSN Money
    In 2004, HSBC predicted the US housing bubble)

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

It's bullshit. petrol and natural gas reserves replenish over time. Russian scientists have said this for decades, but they don't give a flying fuck about convincing anyone it's not running out because 1), they're Russian and don't care (gangsta) and 2) they fetch a higher price on the commodities markets. And unfortunately our geologists here in the West seem to be fan boys of the fossil fuel theory, probably because the energy companies take measures to keep their trade secrets just that - secret. Oil and hydrocarbons are natural byproducts of planetary bodies.

There are precisely 2 things needed to create hydrocarbons aside from the raw carbon: High pressure, and high temperature -You can make it in your basement if you have the right equipment. If you have a sufficient amount of either of those with carbon handy, you can get this:

Titan's Mysterious Methane Comes From Inside, Not The Surface | SpaceRef - Your Space Reference

If surface lakes and pools were the only source, all of Titan's methane would be lost by this mechanism in less than a hundred million years, a short time for a moon that's been around since the formation of the solar system 4.5 billion years ago
    Saturn's moon has literally lakes and rivers of hydrocarbons, and since it is has a nice ripe temperature of minus170 degrees celsius, its a perfect place for plants and animals to grow and decay!(sarcasm). The quote above says that the if the amounts of methane on it's surface was incidental and a "one time thing", it would have left whatever atmosphere it has long ago. Hence, the methane is coming from inside its core.

Now, granted that even if it does replenish, we can still outconsume our intake. So yes moderation is good in this instance as it usually is, but market prices will moderate it for us and there's nothing we really need to do.

I predict that eventually this will be accepted, and the bible thumpers will have another thing to hit us with; that "God created for us" an Earth not only ripe with life, but free explosive substances seeping up from our core. Awesome-sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    It's bullshit. petrol and natural gas reserves replenish over time.
    What makes you think that they can replenish fast enought ?

I used to treat these theories as credible until I read Mass Dillusions and The Madness of Crowds or even Francis Wheen's How Mumbo Jumbo took over the world, its also not difficult to decostruct who's creating these narratives and why, there was a lot of similar material put out during the British Empire at the pinnacle of its grandeur.

When people begin to honestly believe this is as good as it gets, then they also, unsurprisingly, begin to believe its all down hill from here.