User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Because there are stronger winds there. Since there technically is no landscape.
    No, I mean it makes sense to build wind farms offshore because of the stronger winds, but it would be pointless if you couldn't transport the energy very far because the energy would have to make it to land. It seems to me that wind power has about the same transportation potential as that of coal and nuclear power on land (not for submarines and stuff obviously) because it's converted into electrical energy. Sure, that's limited, but people are usually not transporting wind energy like coal and nuclear materials need to be transported because wind is right there. It seems like a silly argument against it.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Nah, just liposuction everyone. We just need the fat.
    Please hurry! There's a ton of fat to be harvested here.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    You don't believe people can figure out sustainable energy?
    I believe there are people working hard on developing sustainable alternatives. However, I think the problem is not whether scientists, designers, and engineers will "figure it out," but whether the elite is willing to implement the solutions, in time. Not enough is being done: there is too much talk and too little action. We are currently at a very crucial point because we still have the resources available to expend on things like creating solar panels, wind farms, and etc. These things cost money to create and implement. When and if another crash occurs, and the oil runs out, it will then become much more difficult to implement sustainable solutions. In that scenario, the little money that ends up going around will need to be used for an array of issues such as healthcare, infrastrature, most likely war, and many others on top of building solar panels.

Human beings have a natural tendency to ignore problems until they become immediate threats. By then, it will be too late.

As regards Ruppert's opinion on the effectiveness of wind farms, I think he wasn't so much suggesting the energy couldn't be transported, as insisting the electricity generated has a limited reach. How I understand it is that the electricity would most likely be used up by the town/city situated nearest to the wind farm before ever reaching areas beyond said town/city. I'm sure there are ways to address this, however.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Yes, he did say that. It would be used at its source.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Nunki View Post
    It took millions of years for our current stockpile to form (even if you think most of it came from the core), and after something like a hundred years, we're already a good way through it. Unless the laws of physics decide to change and speed up the process of decay..
    "Decay"? did you even read my post? The argument is that oil and hydrocarbons do not come from decaying plant/animal tissues,sorry if I was'nt clear on that point. Hydrocarbons are formed from high pressures and temperatures not just in our Earth's core, but in planetary/satillite bodies in general that have sufficient mass. IE, Titan, Mars, etc.

and There's PLENTY of thermal energy in the Earth's core to produce hydrocarbons, so the fact that it requires more energy to make than it gives is irrelevant. I mentioned the fact that hydrocarbons can be produced in a basement laboratory in attempt to dispel this idea that they are some kind of special, magical substance that only comes from dead organic materials, which is false. However, proponents of the fossil fuel theory have never produced oil or hydrocarbons in a lab using the mechanisms they propose, since they claim it takes millions of years.

All things considered, the abiogenic theory of petroleum is much more believable at this juncture. Unless of course you believe that Saturn's moon once supported a smorgasbord of life, which is silly considering its surface Temperature and distance from the sun. Fossil fuel proponents are trying to suggest that there's an abundance of microbial life within Titan's core that die and then produce the vast amounts of methane observed there, but I find that a much larger stretch than positing that the Earth's mantle/core acts as an analog to the fischer-tropsch catalytic process.

Perhaps Abiogenic theory is wrong, but that leaves a ghastly question that should splinter in your mind: How did all that methane end up on saturn's moon?

Think about it

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    "Decay"? did you even read my post? The argument is that oil and hydrocarbons do not come from decaying plant/animal tissues,sorry if I was'nt clear on that point. Hydrocarbons are formed from high pressures and temperatures not just in our Earth's core, but in planetary/satillite bodies in general that have sufficient mass. IE, Titan, Mars, etc.
    I mentioned that it doesn't matter where fuel comes from, because either way, we're consuming far more of it than decay, the planet's core, or aliens from mars are supplying us with.

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber
    and There's PLENTY of thermal energy in the Earth's core to produce hydrocarbons, so the fact that it requires more energy to make than it gives is irrelevant. I mentioned the fact that hydrocarbons can be produced in a basement laboratory in attempt to dispel this idea that they are some kind of special, magical substance that only comes from dead organic materials, which is false. However, proponents of the fossil fuel theory have never produced oil or hydrocarbons in a lab using the mechanisms they propose, since they claim it takes millions of years.
    Of course there's plenty of heat in the Earth's core, but how does that help us? Can we realistically build a tunnel to the core and turn it into a hydrocarbon factory?
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

There really isnt any collapse coming. The world is in rude health, the only people who hope to the contrary are the extremes of left and right and no one is paying attention to them.

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by Nunki View Post
    There's only a limited supply of natural gas, and the power for an electric car is supplied by limited resources, as well.
    biofuels, solar, etc... the list is endless. there's even renewable energy sources based on human waste, algae, fusion, etc... It just means you pay double per gallon of whatever you use now. Its not gonna be all that crazy. When gas went from 1.50 to 5 dollars, I didn't see the end of the world. So if you pay 3 bucks for gas now, and have to pay 6 dollars for biofules/solar/etc... in 70 years, its not that big of a deal.

peak oil is not as scary of a concept as it used to be, after obama was elected. its definitely diminished since pre-obama, since he's wanting to do a lot of government research in alternative energy sources.

also, there's a bunch of energon cubes in Alaska. but the problem is that i think its in a dam or something.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

The problem I see is that for some reason people decided that an orange was better if it came from Florida, as opposed to if it had come from California, but they failed to notice, or care that they could grow and buy oranges locally... If everyone stressed to buy produce from local farms and not from ones 3000 miles away there would be more oil in the long run!
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    INFP

We should learn from the amish.....but I don't like their wardrobes ;P