User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I ordered it from Pay-Per-View and watched it three times back to back. I found it fascinating. For example, did you know that our soil is completely depleted, so we have to fertilize it with petrochemicals, and then fly crop planes over it to spread insecticides made from petro-chemicals, and then use gas-using vehicles to harvest it, and more gas-using vehicles to transport it to distribution stations and then to grocery stores where it takes enormous amounts of energy to keep them refrigerated; in other words, every last step of our food supply depends on petro-chemicals. How are we going to get food when the cost of oil goes sky high because there isn't enough readily available oil to keep all of this going?

He says Saudi Arabia has the most oil of anyplace in the world, and they are using extraordinary means to extract oil -- that this is proof they are running out -- and if Saudi Arabia is short of oil, everyplace else is even more depleted.

He says alternative energy sources are not reliable enough to enable us to continue running things the way we have been. For example, wind farms, he says that energy will be used where it is generated -- it's not like you can transport that energy any great distance. He pointed out how electric cars are just a joke -- every last bit of the car is either a petrochemical itself (plastics, paints) or is created by a machine that uses oil. And then you have the batteries to deal with.

He said (and I believe) that the only reason we're making war in the middle east is because of oil, that we will never leave because we can't afford to, that the talk about stepping the war down is propaganda.

He's not entirely a crackpot. It's worthwhile to at least think about some of this and make provisions; for example, have a fireplace or wood stove in your house and a bit of land you can plant stuff in, and a bicycle...

MBTI
    ENFJ

I thought it was going to go like this:

1. Canada's ice and glaciers and shit will melt due to global warming, flooding and causing disasters in old oil-rich countries
    2. The revealed land (as it is currently theorized) has enormous oil reserves
    3. Canada controls the new oil
    4. Canada becomes the overlord of the new world order
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber
    petrol and natural gas reserves replenish over time.
    It took millions of years for our current stockpile to form (even if you think most of it came from the core), and after something like a hundred years, we're already a good way through it. Unless the laws of physics decide to change and speed up the process of decay, our current infrastructure won't be able to sustain itself for much longer. We'll have to make tremendous sacrifices--there's no alternative, no other way to look at it, unless a breakthrough in physics (or something else) can supply us with a new energy source.

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber
    There are precisely 2 things needed to create hydrocarbons aside from the raw carbon: High pressure, and high temperature. You can make it in your basement if you If you have a sufficient amount of either of those with carbon nearby, you can get this:
    Yes, but making hydrocarbons like that consumes far more energy than it produces.

Quote Originally Posted by nomadic
    you could actually drive a natural gas or electric car if you want right now, but its just more inconvenient and expensive.
    There's only a limited supply of natural gas, and the power for an electric car is supplied by limited resources, as well.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I thought it was going to go like this:

1. Canada's ice and glaciers and shit will melt due to global warming, flooding and causing disasters in old oil-rich countries
    2. The revealed land (as it is currently theorized) has enormous oil reserves
    3. Canada controls the new oil
    4. Canada becomes the overlord of the new world order
    WHEW, somebody's got a plan!! I can get with this. We can be the United States of Canada, eh?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    WHEW, somebody's got a plan!! I can get with this. We can be the United States of Canada, eh?
    Actually, the US will probably still have a place of prominence once we figure out biofuels that run on human fat.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Ok, there, Swift -- are you planning to roast us all?!

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Ok, there, Swift -- are you planning to roast us all?!
    Nah, just liposuction everyone. We just need the fat.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Actually, the US will probably still have a place of prominence once we figure out biofuels that run on human fat.
    Hmmm fat harvesting. This will lift the South out of recession.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I don't see what this guy means when you can't transport wind energy. If that was the case, why the fuck would anybody bother to build off-shore wind farms?

You know, this guy has prompted me to do some research into renewable energy, and the more I read, the more excited I get.

I don't see what this guy means when you can't transport wind energy. If that was the case, why the fuck would anybody bother to build off-shore wind farms?

Because there are stronger winds there. Since there technically is no landscape.