User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    A distinction even has to be made between terrorism and political violence.
    Wouldn't political violence be concentrated upon known and active political opponents, rather than civilians in general?

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Wouldn't political violence be concentrated upon known and active political opponents, rather than civilians in general?
    In many ways yes, it tends to be less indiscriminate.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

In many ways yes, it tends to be less indiscriminate.
    And so that would further remove political violence from guerilla warfare and/or use of terrorist techniques against MILITARY targets.

So, we have:

(1) Political violence = (used against politcal actors/officials/etc.)
    (2) Terrorist attacks against military targets (more discriminate)
    (3) Terrorist attacks against civilians (indiscriminate)

???

It can be sliced and diced many ways, depending on the controversy...
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Sniffles

Yes or you could take a more generalised view and say that terrorism is a particular form of political violence.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Yes or you could take a more generalised view and say that terrorism is a particular form of political violence.
    Got it. That's much more clear.

Terrorism is a "subset" of political violence (which can also have religious motivations associated with it as well, but does not have to).

Thank you!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

I dont think that there's any correlation or comparison to be made between terrorism and political violence, I dont believe that for instance the violence of Al Quedia or the Nazis could be considered political, what is instead important is conformity, compelling conformity and trying to create a hive mind.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont think that there's any correlation or comparison to be made between terrorism and political violence, I dont believe that for instance the violence of Al Quedia or the Nazis could be considered political, what is instead important is conformity, compelling conformity and trying to create a hive mind.
    What exactly do you mean by this? Much of the violence conducted by both is/was meant to serve certain ideological aims.

What exactly do you mean by this? Much of the violence conducted by both is/was meant to serve certain ideological aims.
    Ideological and political aims arent the same thing, political aims would be territory, power struggles but ideological aims are much more vague and much more amorphous, for instance at one time the Nazis were collectivist, even communist, at another capitalist and it wasnt just the economy which they are expedient and opportunist about.

What was important was the in-group vs. out-group struggle which was judged to be perpetual and require conformity and single mindedness within the in group, enforced by terror, and perpetual hostile actions against the out group, which has the duel effect of terrorising each.

These dynamics are much more akin to those within a domestic violence relationship than politics.

Sniffles

Oh so you're drawing a distinction between politics and ideology here. Ok, now that makes your position much more clearer.

BTW, have you read Wages of Destruction? That's widely considered the best work done on Nazi ecomomic policies.

Oh so you're drawing a distinction between politics and ideology here. Ok, now that makes your position much more clearer.

BTW, have you read Wages of Destruction? That's widely considered the best work done on Nazi ecomomic policies.
    I would do that, I would also say that I think that some ideologies are pretty much just a channel for certain personality types or rather disorders, the ideological platform of the Nazis or AQ just appealled to people with specific needs to be at once submissive and dominant, terror's just the channel for those needs, for some people it never becomes as indiscriminate as abstractions like "infidels", "enemies of the German people" etc. for some its specific to particular people, wives, children, dependents.