1 8.33%
  • ESFJ

0 0%
  • Other (please specify)

2 16.67%
First 12345 Last

Thread: Mao

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yes, for we have discovered that power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

So we have chosen to limit power and call it liberal democracy.
    You also choose to embrace a religion based around institution behavior control of the masses.

Not saying that is wrong or right, merely an observation.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Dooraven View Post
    Pol Pot expanded it to include all intellectuals.
    "All intellectuals" within the Cambodian context meant "all litterate people", and "all city-dwelling people"...

As a matter of fact, this list can be expanded indefinitely. When one category disappears, it's easy to find another scapegoat.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Quote Originally Posted by _Violence_ View Post
    You also choose to embrace a religion based around institution behavior control of the masses.
    The essence of liberal democracy is the limitation of power.

So liberal democracy is based on the Separation of Powers. The separation of powers within government - the separation of the Legislature, the Executive and the Judiciary.

And the limitation of power also extends the Separation of Church and State.

Further our Constitution guarantees the Freedom of Religion.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Certainly - the Führer had a vision of a world free of Jews, and Stalin and Mao broadened the vision to include all capitalists.
    Considering they and their ideas predated the rise of Hitler that's an usual comment, I'm also not aware that Stalin or Mao cared about Jews.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I still believe the nation could have been saved through education and democracy as well. It would just take longer. And hope that these events do not repeat themselves. And thinking that this might have been neccesary, is not the way to learn from this, in my opinion.
    I doubt it and my reasoning being Iraq and elsewhere where it has been tried.

Mao was just a nationally/culturally context specific moderniser. Killed a hell of a lot of people in the process but I'm sure that could be demonstrably in evidence in similiar processes of modernisation.

When I say similar I mean societies with similar authoritarian or despotic conventions or norms of governance, not a country needing to modernise per se.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Is Mao a great leader or a brutal mass murderer
    Depends. What is the criteria/definition of a "great leader" and "brutal mass murderer" for the purpose of this thread.

Murder is typically a criminal law term governed a geographical jurisdiction includes many affirmative defenses, excuses and justifications. One of these immunities may be governmental immunity, (i.e.Rex non potest peccare or in other words The King can do no wrong) The exception seems to be if you lose jurisdiction by losing a war or perhaps if your country gives away some of its nation's jurisdictional rights to another court such as the ICC (which China as well as U.S. has refused to do) .
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

List of wars and disasters by death_toll

Seriously, why all the Mao hate?

According to western perception, Mao is a power hungry dictator that murdered 40-50 million people.

How are these people killed?
    Why, for what reason he killed so many people? Is it because they defied his rule? Or that he wanted to start massive execution?

they were killed in the great leap foward and great poletarian cultural revolution.

The Greap Leap Foward was an economic disaster. It was a planned mass genocide operation like the Holocotost.

Mao wanted to modernize china and turn it into an industrial power. Because China was weak and backward, if it does not catch up to the western world soon, it would be bullied by foreign powers like before. The Great Leap foward was a massive misguided effort to modernize the chinese economy, kind of like Stalin's five year plan, but to a greater extreme.

As for the cultural revolution, we need to examine why Mao initiated it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

I don't know what is Mao's MBTI type. Maybe ENTP or possibly even INTP.

Would say Mao clearly had Si. This assumption is based on his early grassroots champainging rhetoric addressing their collective knowleged based on their past experiances.

His apparent non linear and Wei Qi esq strategies also imply his Si is suported by a strong Ne and the fluctuations in his various policies indicate Pness.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

More information about Mao's character and childhood:

"Part Tiger, part monkey" (he describing himself, there is always a dualism in his charachter)

"Mao Zedong's characteristics as a child were a passion of justice. an uncommon propensity for arguing, an unequaled stubborness when he thought he wasx right. Mao, never lost this childhood quality....He was above all true to hiimself; whatever he thought he would immediately translate into action, regardless of admonition. This urge for "seeing it works" denotes a scientific spitrit, uncommon in a medival enviroment, with accepted values untried by experiment. "Knowledge is the beginning of action and action is an accomplishment of knowledge.""

"But he returned more rooted in revolt than ever, more dedicated in search of the truth, more determined to "learn from all sources". In his life he would makre many friends, seek out many teachers. Ideas always stir him; he would pounce on them, grow tremedously excited. Then he would start to re-examine, to test the idea by doing; this would reveal a flaw and Mao Zedong would once again search, listen, learn, read, try. In this quest he would go through many a metamorphisis, but his purpose would remain a search for truth, for reality, for valid principles to be translated into action"

(Mao's college days)
    "He became a leader of the students, a dissenter, a "troublemaker" for some, a righter of wrongs for others, an incipient political and social force. and he left no one indiffereent. He moved against many regulations at the college which he disagreed with. He went on campagns to change things, fighting tradition and red tape, was nearly thrown out, reinstated on the pleas of students and professors, some of whom he had fought againsy. All he did was subordinate to this passion for getting things "clarified". "He never gave anyone face" was the complaint frequently heard of him..Don't talk about people behind their backs, say what you have to say in front of him"

Mao quote
    "One should not stop one's pursuit of the truth until the aim is achieved...Ten years without an understandinfg of the truth are ten years without ambition"

"no one I have ever known" Siao Emi was to say about Mao, "hungered for so much knowledge on so many different levels." He also hungered for communication.