User Tag List

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Sociology, Marxism, Conservatism

Did conservatism or Marxism have more to do with the emergence of sociology as a theory and discipline?

Sniffles

I guess Conservativism in the beginning, since that was the perspective Comte was more sympathetic towards.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I guess Conservativism in the beginning, since that was the perspective Comte was more sympathetic towards.
    This is true. On the other hand, the original is not always the most pivotal. I guess if we specify "emergence" then it would be whatever comte though. But of course the state of sociology today is a composition of multiple ideas with multiple sources.

Comte coined the term sociology, and the first one to put forth the idea of studying social events as a science using the methods of the enlightenment. However, little of what he did was itself scientific, and his work is unpopular with sociology today, and in fact, for many, many decades.

Emile Durkheim is really the man that made sociology a legitmate, respectable field. As for Karl Marx, he did not think of himself as a sociologist and was not called one in his time. Yet, Marx essentially created conflict theory, the second great half of sociology to Comte's original order theories.

EDIT: I realized I should also mention Max Weber. Durkheim, Marx, and Weber are sort of these Mount Rushmore kind of figures in sociology. A problem with linking politics and sociology however is that it can be hard to understand the politics of Durkheim and Weber. Durkheim because he was not very expressive on the issue, and Weber because his thoughts were complicated and enigmatic. Marx seems to be the only seminal sociologist with such pronounced political views.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I tend to think that much of conservatism was actually unconsciously sociological to begin with, the whole of their critique and reaction to revolutionary initiative is based upon what way they felt these trends were out of sync with social institution.

Marx really picked up on and used A LOT of pre-existing theory when he wrote the various thesis that made him famous, lots of which were conservative critiques of liberalism or conservative historians, though to read many of the critiques of him you'd believe that he invented all those ideas himself.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I tend to think that much of conservatism was actually unconsciously sociological to begin with, the whole of their critique and reaction to revolutionary initiative is based upon what way they felt these trends were out of sync with social institution.
    Naturally, musings on politics, religion, and culture, which have gone back to the ancient times, contain many elements that became the reptoire of sociology. Sociology was born when those old ideas were subjected to the scientific method.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Marx really picked up on and used A LOT of pre-existing theory when he wrote the various thesis that made him famous, lots of which were conservative critiques of liberalism or conservative historians, though to read many of the critiques of him you'd believe that he invented all those ideas himself.
    Everyone does the first thing. No one does the second thing.
    Go to sleep, iguana.