User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Food.inc

Default Food.inc

[YOUTUBE="QqQVll-MP3I"]Food Inc[/YOUTUBE]

Pretty informing about factory farming and large powerful coporations controlling our money and food.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

Ginkgo

I say we all revert back to hunter-gatherer society.

No internet, forum or personality typology in a hunter-gatherer society.

Gross though mass production of food stuffs, particularly meat, are for reasons of production, world economy and costs I know I benefit from it, I like it and therefore have to qualify my criticism of it or risk being considered hypocritical.

Yes, food, like everything else, has become industrialized... but when you are dealing with matters of food sustaining life and trying to industrialize that fact you end up with an industrialized life. Corporations are killing us.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Good video to raise awareness.

I feel lucky to have a store down the street where I can buy locally raised grass fed beef...that hasn't been injected with growth hormone or fed crap no cow or human should ever have to eat.

They don't seal it up with carbon monoxide either, which is a trick commercial grocery stores use to keep older meat looking red. Each cut is made on the spot, and omfg...the texture is so much better.

What kills me is that a lot of "Organic" processed foods have just as much bad crap in them as the "Commerical" ones. A Soy bean is not something you'd want to eat. In fact, you can't eat it until they've processed it for it's original purpose, and lucky marketers figured out a way to sell the by-product "left overs" as food stuff.

So there I go into the "Earth muffin" store and just like a regular grocery store I skip 95 percent of the whole store.

Organic produce section, check. Old school dairy section 'check.' Meat counter "check'.

My milk comes from a farm in nearby Virginia in a glass container. Yes it's whole milk, as is the cottage cheese.

The whole fat free scheme is bunk. Animal fats are one of two types of LDL. Natural animal fat won't stick to the arteries. It's too bouyant and floats right on through.

High Fructose Corn Syrup on the other hand, now that will hit your liver cause a chemical reaction and converts to fat. 70 percent of what you see in a grocery store is chock full of it. That creates LDL's that you'll wear in your arteries and around your waist.

I rarely eat bread, for that very reason. You'd be hard pressed to find a loaf that doesn't have it. Fruit juice may as well be poison in absence of fiber, especially since they often sweeten it with fructose.

Gah, off my rant. But will close with an egocentric quote of something I like to say in reference to both the Medical and Food Industry.

"In America we'll sell you poison, just so long as it's chronic and a lawyer isn't likely to win a suit for instant death liability."

Food for thought

Great documentary. One of the guys featured in the film is "beyond organic" farmer Joel Salatin. I heard Joel Salatin speak at an event last year. He's really an amazingly intelligent and inspirational guy. I really like how he applies Christian ideas to food and farming.

My turkey this thanksgiving was from Joel's farm. It was pretty good, you know, as far as turkeys go.

One of things I didn't like about the movie was that it seemed to push the idea that one of the answers to the current problem is more regulation... Frankly I think the exact opposite is true. Increased regulation increases the costs to farmers and makes farming on the small local level more difficult.

Here's a clip of joel explaining how his farm mimics nature:

YouTube - Polyface farm

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Here is another very good documentary on the subject of food production. There is no narration in the entire film.

Our Daily Bread | Documentary Films .NET
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I used to work inthe food testing industry. You have no idea how much fun severed turkey heads can be.

How can we let a few coporations to monopolize the food industry and control our food supply?

food companies have never been this powerful before. Whoever controls our food controls our livehood, because we all need to eat to stay alivew.
    And right now they are sucking billions of dollars off our pockets in exchange for something we desperately need.

I find the whole notion that we have to pay for our food is absurd, and this is even more crap. They have the technology churn out several thousand tons of meat everyday and everyone on this planet can be fed.

When we lose the ability to produce our own food, we lose the ability to feed ourselves and have to depend on some fucking coporation to feed us.
    And they will use this as a n opportunity to suck more and more money out of our pockets.

This is equivilent to stealing.