User Tag List

Default Moralising Society

I've noticed both the media and government here in Australia seem to have a focus on making everyone in society good moral citizens. The main problem with this idea is moral is subjective and I'll say I spend a lot of time cringing at ideas both in the media and proposed by government. Select people get torn to pieces in the public arena for things which happen throughout society and are usually not that harmful (except in the sense that they set them up to be totally devalued and exiled by the moral police).

Society is made of every type of person and none will ever fit a script of what a person should be. In a sense it seems unhealthy to continue making them think they should. On the other hand there needs to be some limits. Where is the line between being over-controlling and moving us into the dark ages, and having a normal healthy society? Do these things really spiral out of control if liberty is properly respected by government and media?
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    Where is the line between being over-controlling and moving us into the dark ages, and having a normal healthy society?
    That itself is one of those moral subjectivities, is it not?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    That itself is one of those moral subjectivities, is it not?
    Not really. I was just stating the extreme of the case in that direction. Though some people might have liked the dark ages . Normal healthy society is one definitely.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Not really. I was just stating the extreme of the case in that direction. Though some people might have liked the dark ages . Normal healthy society is one definitely.
    I mean that deciding where the line is, where one starts and another ends, is subjective, because certain words, especially words like "over" used in that context essentially guarantee an element of opinion.

We morally differ on what we think is too much control.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I mean that deciding where the line is, where one starts and another ends, is subjective, because certain words, especially words like "over" used in that context essentially guarantee an element of opinion.

We morally differ on what we think is too much control.
    yep, good point. I was more gauging peoples opinions on it. There won't be a right answer. I just want to know what people think of the way certain things are heading and whether it is much of a problem, a good thing, a bad thing, etc.

A few examples of this recently have been a radio presenter having the wrong response to a caller and then having everything he did nitpicked until he pretty much lost his roles in most shows he was involved in and made a lot more mistakes, the government putting forward a bill for an internet filter to prevent children being exposed to the wrong material but also giving the government control over content and controlling adult access to content (they have pretty much ignored all hatred of this idea and want to go ahead because it is "the right thing to do"). There has been quite a few other examples. It seems to be moving toward a very don't step out of line sort of attitude, and an idea that we are somehow becoming a better society if we are all careful to look like we are doing the right thing, the right way.

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

...but also giving the government control over content and controlling adult access to content (they have pretty much ignored all hatred of this idea and want to go ahead because it is "the right thing to do").
    Yikes.

Perhaps the line should be where another citizen is tangibly harmed, losing something that cannot be replaced materially? It would have to be very carefully crafted to maintain basic freedoms....there would be, of course, gratuitous abuse, just as there is gratuitous abuse of freedoms. It's a tail chaser that's for sure.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    INTP

I hear Australia actually still bans certain movies and video games....that sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I hear Australia actually still bans certain movies and video games....that sucks.
    Most societies do and its simply wrong to suggest there is or ever has been a society which does not.

So far as moralising goes, I dont know about Australia specifically, but I dont see any modern, liberal, democratic, welfare capitalist society today as being moralising at all.

What is generally referred to as moralising is not moralising at all, its health promotion, why its become a state function is another question but its none the less not what I would describe as moralising as it is most of the time evidence based, for instance encouraging moderation or abstaining from alcohol and tabacco or unsafe sexual contacts, its not supposition or subject to suggest that those harm the health of self and others.