First 67891018 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    Right. They are paid professionals, not martyrs.
    WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm going to be totally honest and say here that I treat soldiers who have recently returned from war with an almost instinctive reverance. It's not necessarily that I agree with the ideology that put them in the war, but that they volunteer to put their lives at risk, they put themselves in horrible situations that very few people sitting comfy behind their computers would volunteer to be in. Maybe it's because my grandfather was career navy, and my uncle was in the army, but it's this weird thing - even when I don't agree with the cause, I can't help but respect the soldiers.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Ideology is a certain kind of body of ideas, which didn't exist before the early 19th century.
    Sure it did. It was called religion then.

Wars have been occuring since time began. You're confusing ideology with principles.
    Wars as we currently understand them only began with the Neolithic Revolution, as differing civilizations began to compete for resources. That's all war's ever been about - filthy lucre.

Are we to take it that you deny that certain principles are worth fighting and dying for?
    Absolutely. The only things worth fighting and dying for are the lives of the ones I care about.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Respecting them, that is fine. I also respect my trashman for dealing with rotting meat and shit everyday.

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Well my dear Beat, quite unlike yourselves, we gained our independence without out killing anyone, and we united a whole Continent without killing anyone.

There is no blood on the wattle.
    What?

Stolen Generations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You seriously believe that no one was killed during this? You believe no Aboriginals parents and children resisted this? I do hope you are joking, both New Zealand and Australia had strong periods of conflict between their indigenous people, the only difference between them was that the Aboriginals didn't have an organized resistance like the Maori did. So no, you did not unite a continent by not killing anyone at all.

Also you are severely destroying the significance of the American Revolution, it destroyed the fear of the British that many indigenous people had, destroyed the air of superiority and provided hope for people that they could finally achieve true independence. This plus the rise of WWI signalled the collapse of the British Empire.

Also, neither Australia nor New Zealand are de jure independent countries, we are de facto independent countries but as constitutional monarchies the Queen is still our head of state and still has significant power. Of course, she never has used it significantly yet.
    INTp (MBTI)
    LII (Socionics) but typed as ILI as well
    5 wing 6
    Ti > Ni > Si > Ne > Te > Fi > Se > Fe

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    Respecting them, that is fine. I also respect my trashman for dealing with rotting meat and shit everyday.
    I never said that I didn't respect the trashman.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Sure it did. It was called religion then.
    Nope. To confuse religion with ideology shows that you don't understand the nature of either. At best you can call ideologies "ersatz religions", but that involves a peversion of the nature of religions rather than it's authentic nature.

Wars as we currently understand them only began with the Neolithic Revolution, as differing civilizations began to compete for resources.
    It'd be nice if for once you could tell me something I didn't know. I've been studying military history since I was at least 8 years old.

That's all war's ever been about - filthy lucre.
    The motivations for war are varied depending on context. For example, the long-held theory claiming that the Crusades were primarily about second-born noblemen seeking wealth and land in far-away lands has now been discarded among scholars.

Absolutely. The only things worth fighting and dying for are the lives of the ones I care about.
    And who exactly do you care about, if I may ask?

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I'm going to be totally honest and say here that I treat soldiers who have recently returned from war with an almost instinctive reverance. It's not necessarily that I agree with the ideology that put them in the war, but that they volunteer to put their lives at risk, they put themselves in horrible situations that very few people sitting comfy behind their computers would volunteer to be in. Maybe it's because my grandfather was career navy, and my uncle was in the army, but it's this weird thing - even when I don't agree with the cause, I can't help but respect the soldiers.
    I understand the sentiment. I come from a military family and have a number of friends, and an in-law, who fought in the most recent conflict. I respect people though, not professions. If I respect soldiers in general, or people who die for causes(no matter the cause), I'd also have to extend that respect to say, suicide bombers. Why not?
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I never said that I didn't respect the trashman.
    me either, in fact as stated above I said I did respect them.

Come one, come all, get yer brown ribbons! support the trashmen! They sacrifice themselves so we can keep our freedom! (of movement inside our houses since they take away the trash that would otherwise fill our homes and make living conditions horrible and after a lot of buildup downright deadly)

wanna guess why the ribbon's brown

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    me either, in fact as stated above I said I did respect them.

Come one, come all, get yer brown ribbons! support the trashmen! They sacrifice themselves so we can keep our freedom! (of movement inside our houses since they take away the trash that would otherwise fill our homes and make living conditions horrible and after a lot of buildup downright deadly)

wanna guess why the ribbon's brown
    Why don't you go hang out in the middle east for a while then come back and tell us about your travels, hmm?