User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Peguy and Victor please do not derail this thread with your typical bickering or both of you will be banned from the thread.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I just don't like Victor.
    I find that a step in the right direction - as you have gone from hating me to merely disliking me.

A few more steps and who knows how you might feel.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Peguy and Victor please do not derail this thread with your typical bickering or both of you will be banned from the thread.
    Yeah, you don't want to mess with a control complex of these proportions.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

It's too broad a generalization for an entire profession, IMO.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

World War I should have taught us that this is categorically not the case. However, since we seem to be too idiotic to get the message, I will say that while they are not heroes, I do respect the fact that they do the best they can in hopes of protecting the ones they love.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

There's a certain honor that I give them for fighting for their country, whether their intentions for joining the military are correct or not. A hero is something different, imo. A hero is someone who is clearly courageous in the face of extreme adversity. Some soldiers are heroes and some are honorable. All of them deserve some respect. Just my two cents...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Putting their lives at risk on my behalf.

I don't know anything more heroic than that.
    Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with this. Whether or not I agree with the implementation or length of certain wars is a moot point when I consider the simple fact that these men and women are putting their lives at risk, and doing something that I would be terrified to do. I'm not so idealistic that I don't recognize the necessity of the military.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Gamine View Post
    Posters in this thread, please remember that it is not the decision of the soldier of which conflicts they will act in
    [...]
    Soldiers don't decide where they are going and if/who they are fighting.
    Since in most democratic countries joining the military is a voluntary act, the person who chooses to do so is ultimately responsible for his or her actions. Make no mistake: If you join, you make a statement that you're willing to kill other people - if you're not, don't enlist.
    The fact that you don't decide where or when you fight doesn't relieve you of that original responsibility.
    I think the basic question question is whether there are circumstances where killing can be justified or should even be considered desireable.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Avis View Post
    Since in most democratic countries joining the military is a voluntary act, the person who chooses to do so is ultimately responsible for his or her actions. Make no mistake: If you join, you make a statement that you're willing to kill other people - if you're not, don't enlist.
    The fact that you don't decide where or when you fight doesn't relieve you of that original responsibility.
    I think the basic question question is whether there are circumstances where killing can be justified or should even be considered desireable.
    But reality says that people would kill us if we didn't have a military.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    But reality says that people would kill us if we didn't have a military.
    Reality also says that this is incredibly unlikely in the age of thermonuclear weapons.