User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Count your blessings, sir.
    We do indeed, sir.

And we count among our blessings our ANZUS military treaty with you, and our Antarctic land treaty with you, as well as our economic treaty with you, the US/Australia Free Trade Agreement.

So your well being is our well being.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Well my dear Beat, quite unlike yourselves, we gained our independence without out killing anyone, and we united a whole Continent without killing anyone.

There is no blood on the wattle.
    Well who the hell would want to fight a war over an empty wasteland filled with kangaroos? There was a reason why the British used your land as a dumping ground for convicts. Although in fairness, you provided much needed cannon-fodder for the Empire at Gallipoli.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Well who the hell would want to fight a war over an empty wasteland filled with kangaroos? There was a reason why the British used your land as a dumping ground for convicts. Although in fairness, you provided much needed cannon-fodder for the Empire at Gallipoli.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Although in fairness, you provided much needed cannon-fodder for the Empire at Gallipoli.
    Ouch, thats kinda harsh
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by theaferist View Post
    It's absolutely against my principles to call person a hero, if he/she supports and participates in solving conflicts by using physical (military) power...
    The great thing is, if you are lucky enough to live in a democracy, you are responsible for guiding your government in which conflicts it participates in, and how it chooses to act in those situations. The even greater thing is, the men and women who joined your country's military willingly are going to continue to protect you regardless of whether you love them as much as they love you and your freedoms.

Posters in this thread, please remember that it is not the decision of the soldier of which conflicts they will act in, only that they make a promise to protect the people of their country. It is an act of love and compassion, not hatred. Militaries are controlled by their governments. Are they trained to kill people? I certainly hope so. How else are you going to defend people who have no way of defending themselves?

As to the OP, my opinion is fairly obvious. Is a soldier that fights to clear a village so children can safely attend school a hero? What about a soldier that is part of a reconstruction team that builds a well so that people have safe drinking water?

Soldiers don't decide where they are going and if/who they are fighting. They decided that there is something greater than their own comfort and convenience and dedicate themselves to protecting those freedoms for others.
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski

MBTI
    ?

• Devotion to a cause greater than themselves.
    • Holding onto the values of duty and loyalty in an age of narcissism.
    • Sacrificing on behalf of people they've never met.

I've protested against wars, and I'm probably more dove than hawk, but I wish more people had the values of soldiers. I think those who serve - especially those who serve despite having reservations about the merit of a specific conflict - are absolutely heroes.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Ouch, thats kinda harsh
    I'll be honest: I don't hate Australians, nor think ill of their sacrifices at Gallipoli or anyother battle for that matter....I just don't like Victor.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

^Gamine or anybody else, how about the German solders who fought in WWII? Since the nationality of the solder is not in question. I have no opinion right now on that (except the ones who worked at the death camps and knew of the "Final Solution" who I find culpable of evil)

Pegue: Ok, I understand what you are saying.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Sniffles

German soldiers in WWII fought for their country, so yes they deserve respect for that - even when we note the injustices committed by their country during the war.

C'mon at this very moment I am sitting in the only successfully planned Capital City in the world.

And at any moment I will walk up to the Bakery for breakfast to read the, "Australian", newspaper in the sun.

And replete I shall meander down to the local park in my Crocs and very slowly wade up the cool creek in the shade of the trees, all the time contemplating the empty wasteland around me while I whistle and sing to the kangaroos who incline their big ears towards me, just as you do.