User Tag List

First 162425262728 Last

Quote Originally Posted by incubustribute View Post
    you can't morally excuse soldiers for being blunt instruments of terror and genocide, but we also can't just allow them to decide what to do on a whim. So where do we draw the line? Are the current laws simulated referenced enough to allow for fair practice in war (if such a thing even exists...)?
    You decide for yourself.

Illegal, in modern warfare: shooting someone with a Hollow-point bullet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Legal, in modern warfare: shooting someone with a Flamethrower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Incidentally, in the US military, soldiers are indeed s'posed to refuse to carry out "illegal orders"--perhaps that can be discussed if you wish...torture, for example, is theoretically not something American soldiers are supposed to do.

Theoretically...

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    ...torture, for example, is theoretically not something American soldiers are supposed to do.
    Unfortunately this is not the case, for since 1642 no Common Law country has ordered torture at the highest level of government, except one.

And although those who ordered torture have publicly boasted of their crime, not one of them has been brought before a Criminal Court.

This has a very unfortunate effect as the Common Law is based on Precedent. And not prosecuting the confessed criminals sets a precedent.

We are a Common Law country where torture is a crime. And just recently we have brought the charge of torture against a defendant.

But by undermining the Common Law which we have held to since 1642, it leaves the way open for the defence that, "I was just following orders".

This defence was not accepted at Nuremberg but under Precedent must be considered by the Criminal Court today.

So American soldiers, and all soldiers of Common Law countries, have this defence open to them today.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

if someone were to tell me i wouldn't have what i wanted and they would fight me for it i wouldn't believe them in a second

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

i will always have enough, noone can dispute this. my problem is when people want more than their fair share and feel they have to fight for it.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

so soldiers are middlemen and women who fight others battles for them and shouldn't be asked the question whether they are doing the right thing. nor should another make this statement about someone else fighting the battle.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

so what are you all talking about now?

by my logic if soldiers are too young to be in the military as the way is then they aren't to be held accountable for their lunatic actions.

Quote Originally Posted by wren View Post
    if someone were to tell me i wouldn't have what i wanted and they would fight me for it i wouldn't believe them in a second
    We all live in the Attention Economy. And we all fight for attention.

Those who win the fight for attention are called, "Celebrities". And they are celebrated.

Believe me, I am fighting you for attention. So who will be celebrated, Wren or Victor?

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    We all live in the Attention Economy. And we all fight for attention.

Those who win the fight for attention are called, "Celebrities". And they are celebrated.

Believe me, I am fighting you for attention. So who will be celebrated, Wren or Victor?
    victor i'm trying to stick by my logic. please don't bring the media into this. i would fight absolutely noone, in reality. i care not enough about material possessions. honestly. i don't relate to war on a big scale. people need to take care of grievances before they get out of hand. i'm fed up with childish global wars.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

victor i'm trying to stick by my logic. please don't bring the media into this. i would fight absolutely noone, in reality. i care not enough about material possessions. honestly. i don't relate to war on a big scale. people need to take care of grievances before they get out of hand. i'm fed up with childish global wars.
    Don't even bother using logic with him; he doesn't care. The only way you win is if you ignore him.

Frankly, dear Wren, I think you should give up on logic.

For wars are not fought on logic.

Wars come in two parts, the physical war and the propaganda war.

You will never be involved in the physical war but you are involved in the propaganda war here.

And always remember that propaganda is not logical. Propaganda is neither true nor false, rather propaganda is plausible or implausible.

And apprentice propagandists, or childish propagandists, usually make the same mistake of believing their own propaganda, like 'logic'.

For 'logic' is simply used here rhetorically. 'Logic' is simply used here to persuade. We are not dealing here with axiomatic logic.