User Tag List

First 152324252627 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post

You said you were going to suggest books, then you link me to the biography of a CPA who worked for the government, who now apparently runs a corporate cult?

What does this have to do with simple concepts? I'm not going to look for interviews on You Tube.

I think it's time for your medication.
    Rankor!! Rankor!! :banannalima: :steam:

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    The military is how the US circulates the money, as opposed to health spending or social spending or education spending or other sorts of spending like in the rest of the world.
    Yes, capitalist economies use a flywheel to smooth out the bumps. But as far as the economy is concerned it doesn't matter whether the flywheel is the military or welfare.

But once the flywheel is set in motion it seeks to perpetuate itself.

And so President Eisenhower warned us that the military, industrial complex was becoming the flywheel of the economy.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yes, capitalist economies use a flywheel to smooth out the bumps. But as far as the economy is concerned it doesn't matter whether the flywheel is the military or welfare.

But once the flywheel is set in motion it seeks to perpetuate itself.

And so President Eisenhower warned us that the military, industrial complex had become the flywheel of the economy of the USA.
    :steam::steam:

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    This discussion just keeps getting weirder by the minute.
    +3.141592654...

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    as far as the economy is concerned it doesn't matter whether the flywheel is the military or welfare.
    If you have 10,000 dollars per month to spend on yourself, does it matter in terms of your ability to continue functioning whether you spend that money on food, housing, clothing, medical care, etc. or crack cocaine?

Why? Why not?

MBTI
    ISFJ

So after 25 pages of irrelevant conclusions, converse accidents, red herrings, popular sentiments, non sequiturs, and straw men, all I've got so far is:

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    There's a conflict between soldier's duty and personal ethics
    But to be fair, simulated did recognize this:

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    It's more complicated than that
    So, I'd like to steer this back on topic please. Can we try to expand on where to draw the line between a soldier's right to exercise personal ethics and a soldier's duty to obey commands? These are both important because as we've recognized, you can't morally excuse soldiers for being blunt instruments of terror and genocide, but we also can't just allow them to decide what to do on a whim. So where do we draw the line? Are the current laws simulated referenced enough to allow for fair practice in war (if such a thing even exists...)?
    Last edited by incubustribute; 12-18-2009 at 09:13 PM. Reason: smileys

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by incubustribute View Post
    Are our soldiers fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan heroes? Regardless of whether you believe in the justice of the United States's wars, I'd like to know if you think our soldiers are to be called heroes for fighting for their country.
    you can't expect an answer to this question from anyone under a certain age because humans don't develop this type of self-awareness untill we have lived long enough. any endeavor to call a young person to war is a sham. that is indoctrination.

my opinion is that only old people should fight! noone under the age of 50 should go to war. let's leave our innocents out of it!

i call soldiers heroes but i knew one veteran of ww2 who said all the real heroes were dead. meaning, he felt he had not martyred himself enough to be labeled a hero? dunno the answer there. i'm female and i know i would never enlist in any military to fight ANY war. i would rather hide and take anything that came my way on a case by case basis. i want to see my aggressor up close and personal before deciding whether to kill him or her.

plus i'm NF and feel there's enough in the world for everybody, why fight over it?

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by wren View Post
    my opinion is that only old people should fight! noone under the age of 50 should go to war. let's leave our innocents out of it!
    Not to misrepresent your argument, but umm...

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by incubustribute View Post
    Not to misrepresent your argument, but umm...

i realize i contradict my position but it is really hard to not do so.

Thumbs down See

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    If you have 10,000 dollars per month to spend on yourself, does it matter in terms of your ability to continue functioning whether you spend that money on food, housing, clothing, medical care, etc. or crack cocaine?

Why? Why not?
    Some argue that because a watch has a watch maker, the world has a world maker.

And in the same way some argue that as it matters what a household spends its money on, so it matters what an economy spends its money on.

But just as a watch is not the world, a household is not the economy.

And so in a household it does matter whether money is spent on food or crack, in an economy it doesn't matter whether the money is spent on the military, industrial complex or welfare.

We perceive by making distinctions. And so by making the distinction between the household and the economy, we can see.