Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    Would you prefer I suggest a book or two?
    I would suggest that you refrain from drinking the kool-aid.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I would suggest that you refrain from drinking the kool-aid.
    If you ever get serious, I'll be happy to help.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If you ever get serious, I'll be happy to help.
    I am serious. My attempts to understand social and economic problems are not limited to political dogma from either side of the spectrum. Someone who makes the sort of histrionic blanket statements that you do about politics has no more place helping me than the Fundamentalist Baptist who screeches at me that I'll go to hell if I don't stop going to barn dances.

I am serious. My attempts to understand social and economic problems are not limited to political dogma from either side of the spectrum. Someone who makes the sort of histrionic blanket statements that you do about politics has no more place helping me than the Fundamentalist Baptist who screeches at me that I'll go to hell if I don't stop going to barn dances.
    Of course, you do not know which books on economics I was going to suggest...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Of course, you do not know which books on economics I was going to suggest...
    Stop being so pretentious and ridiculous. If you want to suggest information, no one here is stopping you.

But be warned, if it's anything involving Austrian economic theory be prepared to be beaten within inches of your life with your own book .

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

No, no--ENTPs aren't generally advocates of killing a fly by nuking a city---they just aren't particularly averse to it.

People who are are moral absolutists, you see...
    No, those who automatically condemn every soldier involved in a war effort with which he disagrees are moral absolutists.

They've also missed the whole point of the ethical dilemma that started this thread. There's a conflict between soldier's duty and personal ethics; this doesn't make all soldiers involved in the war automatically evil because you disagree with the war. It's more complicated than that, but you don't understand why, hence your moral absolutism.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Stop being so pretentious and ridiculous. If you want to suggest information, no one here is stopping you.

But be warned, if it's anything involving Austrian economic theory be prepared to be beaten within inches of your life with your own book .
    By someone--yourself--with no understanding of economics?

My friend, it isn't pretentious, or ridiculous, to try to offer you help. You clearly do not understand some extremely simple concepts which have little to do with any particular school of thought on this subject.

Let's begin with David M. Walker (U.S. Comptroller General) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please read the links, and look for interviews on youtube.

We could probably have an economics thread.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

By someone--yourself--with no understanding of economics?

My friend, it isn't pretentious, or ridiculous, to try to offer you help. You clearly do not understand some extremely simple concepts which have little to do with any particular school of thought on this subject.

Let's begin with David M. Walker (U.S. Comptroller General) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please read the links, and look for interviews on youtube.

You said you were going to suggest books, then you link me to the biography of a CPA who worked for the government, who now apparently runs a corporate cult?

What does this have to do with simple concepts? I'm not going to look for interviews on You Tube.

I think it's time for your medication.

But this is not WHY the economy is bad. There are so many factors in an economic downturn that you can't simply say "oh people joining the military are making the economy worse." The economy is bad because of a housing credit bubble which burst due to lack of government oversight in big business coupled with irresponsibility on the part of individuals living beyond their means, complicated by people expecting a government to pay for both military and social programs without adequate taxation. Furthermore, in an economic downturn, citizens tend to hold on to their wealth which stops the flow of money from stimulating the economy.

Military spending is a problem, no doubt, but to point to this as "the" problem with economy is overly simplistic.
    No, I dont think military spending is a problem, I was making he point that it is functional and keeps the economy working, in other states the public spending is on other things but in the US its the military.

Every economy in the world today requires the circulation of money to run, its like the fuel in the engine, the only "firm" big enough to spend large enough amounts in a crisis, slow down or down turn is the state.

Joining the military I dont think makes a difference either way to be honest, the impact is likely to be really marginal and insignificant. Its just one of many bizarro twists and turns this thread has taken.