User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE

It's absolutely against my principles to call person a hero, if he/she supports and participates in solving conflicts by using physical (military) power...

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    There's the definition of hero that takes into account the sacrifice that is being made and to what cause: the aid and defense of something larger than one's self (patriotism) - most would classify that as heroism, generally speaking. This is what every person in the service is called to do, whether that is their aim and true motive upon signing the contract.

Then, there's a more personal look at each individual - did he/she sign up selflessly, solely for the aid of a greater unit? If not, does that person deserve the title hero? How do you want to define a hero? Can people act heroically, but not be regarded as heroes? I think so.

I consider myself a hero by no means simply for the fact that I haven't "gone above and beyond the call of duty". I haven't even seen combat (though I was deployed). Even if I had, like it's been stated before by other men, I would have seen it as merely doing my job and providing security for those serving next to me, just as I'd expect in return. I'd never feel ok adopting the title of "hero". An old friend actually used that exact phrase when addressing me the other night, in light of me just returning from deployment. I wanted to reply with "I'm no hero", but I just shrugged it off instead as I didn't feel like making a discussion out of it.

Truly, I wouldn't be caught dead referring to a lot of people in the armed forces as heroes, as some of them are truly despicable on many different levels. So is the case anywhere you look, you'll find the good and the bad. Heroes are those that are willing and ready to put their best on the line for the betterment of others.
    Well said.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by theaferist View Post
    It's absolutely against my principles to call person a hero, if he/she supports and participates in solving conflicts by using physical (military) power...
    Interesting. Even in defense and counter-attack?

A soldier has been transformed from a civilian who follows the fifth commandment to a soldier who follows the command to kill.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    A soldier has been transformed from a civilian who follows the fifth commandment to a soldier who follows the command to kill.
    Transformed? How about trained to kill, if it's necessary that we do so. Trained does not equate a transformation of mind. The desire to do what is called of us for what we hope will be a benefit to our nation, our condition of living and a preservation of our freedom is instilled in us before taking the position of "soldier".

Transformed? How about trained to kill, if it's necessary that we do so. Trained does not equate a transformation of mind. The desire to do what is called of us for what we hope will be a benefit to our nation, our condition of living and a preservation of our freedom is instilled in us before taking the position of "soldier".
    I would prefer 'transformed' as to move from following the fifth commandment to following the command to kill is a conversion.

To follow the command to kill is a conversion of the soul.

A conversion is a transformation of the soul.

A conversion is a little like making love. And the rule is never make love to someone who has more problems than yourself.

And in like manner, the rule for someone of integrity is never let yourself be converted by a standing army.

For all war is evil.

MBTI
    ISTx

That's a highly idealistic view point you hold. If only we COULD live that way. It'd be a wonderful world wouldn't it?

Unfortunately for us our history is plagued with evil dictators that have both lived and died by the sword. Organizations/religions that employ methods of violence to expand their message and cause. Going back further, savages that killed outsiders and even feasted on their flesh and organs. You can't tell me we live in a world where everything can be settled civilly and through a diplomatic hand shake. You're not going to bring a knife to a gunfight.... nor an olive branch to squelch a firestorm.

That's a highly idealistic view point you hold. If only we COULD live that way. It'd be a wonderful world wouldn't it?

Unfortunately for us our history is plagued with evil dictators that both live and die by the sword. Organizations that employ methods of violence to expand their message and cause. Going back further, savages that killed outsiders and even feasted on their flesh and organs. You can't tell me we live in a world where everything can be settled civilly and through a diplomatic hand shake.
    Well my dear Beat, quite unlike yourselves, we gained our independence without out killing anyone, and we united a whole Continent without killing anyone.

There is no blood on the wattle.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

American soldiers? Soldiers fighting for any particular cause they happen to believe in or be called to fight? Or just soldiers in general?

In any case, I'd have to answer the OP in the negative.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Well my dear Beat, quite unlike yourselves, we gained our independence without out killing anyone, and we united a whole Continent without killing anyone.

There is no blood on the wattle.
    Count your blessings, sir.