User Tag List

First 4121314151624 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

That may be so.

But it ISN'T a soldiers duty to know the difference between an illegal and a legal order, now is it?

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    But it ISN'T a soldiers duty to know the difference between an illegal and a legal order, now is it?
    Actually it is.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Well, how frequently are things hushed up because everyone is watching their ass?

Sniffles

Well, how frequently are things hushed up because everyone is watching their ass?
    It happens alot Im sure, but if a soldiers swears to uphold the American constitution - then acting upon orders contrary to it means he's breaking his oath.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Soldier's stories (like everyone else's story) are more complex than they initially seem.

One day a soldier might accidentally engage a civilian b/c the CO mixed up the ROE info.

The next that same soldier might save an innocent civilian child.

Is he more defined by his intentional good acts than his unintentional bad ones?

Sniffles

Soldier's stories (like everyone else's story) are more complex than they initially seem.
    Yes I'm well aware of that. I'm often critical of those who bash soldiers' actions without having any understanding of what warfare is like or what it does to people. I could bring up the example of stories my uncle told me about having to break the arms and legs of Vietnamese children, because they often would try to steal his unit's weapons or conduct sabotage or even fire upon his unit at times. Of course under normal circumstances, he would never consider doing such things to little children of all people.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

This is why I have nothing but for respect for soldiers, they voluntarily offered themselves to be used by our gov't as a tool of warfare on my behalf.

I will honor that sacrifice.

And hold nothing but the highest respect for our fighting (wo)men.

This is why I say soldiers ARE necessarily heroes.

EDIT: regardless of my occasionally inaccurate assertions, of which I am well aware.

Sniffles

Overall I agree with you. I place more blame on generals and politicians who throw them in needless conflicts. Nevertheless, if soldiers do conduct illegal acts, they have to held accountable for such actions.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Overall I agree with you. I place more blame on generals and politicians who throw them in needless conflicts. Nevertheless, if soldiers do conduct illegal acts, they have to held accountable for such actions.
    Then we agree entirely.

MBTI
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    As much as I appreciate your sentiment to bring equality to the classes, I cannot agree with bringing back the draft. The draft is just wrong.
    I don't know. It was proposed a few years ago by Charlie Rangel, who has been a staunch opponent of most wars of the past generation. He reasoned that we would be involved in far fewer conflicts if the draft were still in place, because there would be a great public outcry about the use of force that doesn't exist when there's an all-volunteer military. That way, the only wars we would fight would be those that are absolutely necessary and have extremely broad public support.

I already believe that some sort of national service should be mandatory, so I can't oppose this on principle. Why do you think it's wrong in principle?