User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Burlesconi Punched

Anyone seen the footage of Italian leader Burlesconi all bloody after getting punched at a political rally when signing autographs? He's supposed to be in hospital now, another example of authority/lawfulness receeding or what?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Italians don't play around.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Burlesconi's election itself is the absence of lawfulness. This doesn't accomplish anything, but I hate the guy, so I still take some pleasure in seeing him decked in the face.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ

It's not like Burlesconi wouldn't punch someone.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I have a profound dislike for his behaviour, the guy himself I dont know but I suspect wouldnt care for very much, certainly not enough to say I hate him.

I'm always a little wary of attacks upon authority figures, even when I dont personally like those same people, even when Thatcher was attacked with eggs during her time in office I tended to think that that was a person who was having violence or humiliation visited upon them. That sort of thing I dont like, I also think that there is very little in the way of the organic authority that there should be left in the world, that's an unhealthy situation (made worse by disreputable authority figures) and attacks on authority figures can result on attacks on authority per se, the baby gets tossed with the bathwater.

Plus there's the risk that it makes disreputable people more respectable or provides pretext for police statery or criminal government.

MBTI
    INTJ

Sometimes you have to attack authority. That's not to say that this particular incident wasn't stupid, though. Now, if someone hit Putin...I would be impressed.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Sometimes you have to attack authority. That's not to say that this particular incident wasn't stupid, though. Now, if someone hit Putin...I would be impressed.
    You dont ever have to attack legitimate authority. In fact failing to defend legitimate authority is a worse crime than tolerating illegitimate authority.

And in any case there is too often and too easily a confusion between institutions and individuals when considering matters of authority, Paine rightly said that the killing of the king himself in France following the revolution was unnecessary when the insitution of monarchy was already killed by the revolution.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    You dont ever have to attack legitimate authority. In fact failing to defend legitimate authority is a worse crime than tolerating illegitimate authority.
    Ok...and what makes some authorities legitimate and others illegitimate? Italy is a real hallmark of legitimate governments, I'm sure.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Ok...and what makes some authorities legitimate and others illegitimate? Italy is a real hallmark of legitimate governments, I'm sure.
    Punching Berlusconi is not going to effect governance in Italy, dont you think? When has assasination even proven to pay anything but dividends for the very authorities which are frequently the target of the assasin's actions?

You ask me about legitimacy, I would suggest that you consult your practical reason, I very much doubt that you've got this far in life without knowing this and an exercise in abstract reasoning and conceptualisation is really only going to be exactly that, an exercise.

MBTI
    INTJ

Punching Berlusconi is not going to effect governance in Italy, dont you think? When has assasination even proven to pay anything but dividends for the very authorities which are frequently the target of the assasin's actions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis
    That's not to say that this particular incident wasn't stupid, though.
    You ask me about legitimacy, I would suggest that you consult your practical reason, I very much doubt that you've got this far in life without knowing this and an exercise in abstract reasoning and conceptualisation is really only going to be exactly that, an exercise.
    You brought up the legitimacy discrepancy, not me.