User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: Wtf, military

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    It would hurt a lot more to be thrown into a war zone after being babied and mollycoddled.
    Yes, but both of these are much cheaper than a plane ticket.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    You are assuming that the vast majority of those people, who voluntarily decided to go to boot camp, are emotionally fragile? They all had some idea of what was going to happen.

Desensitize them to abuse, mental or physical.

Boot camp is about learning to work together with disparate individuals to accomplish whatever objective your leader sets for you. And doing it with the minimum of interpersonal friction. And maximum efficiency. And learning to take orders you may not understand and still perform the task.

To boil it down further. Discipline is what boot camp is about. The individual's discipline, enabling him to perform to certain standards. And teaching it if needed. And group discipline, where the needs of the group subsume personal needs, until a task is completed.

And as far as emotional health is concerned, most people come out stronger than when they arrived.

Out of curiosity, how many people have to actually talked to in real life, who have gone through boot camp?

Do not base your distaste, on what the media sells you. Ask real people.
    No, I assume most of them are the opposite of emotionally fragile. And I think thats why most of them come out pro-military, at least the ones I know. This isn't feelings I'm talking about. I'm talking about the sense of self and sense of worth, and sense of autonomy.

So teamwork and discipline. And you said working under stress earlier. All 3 of these things are taught in the civilian world, only to a much less degree.

I still respect anyone in the millitary tremendously. Don't get me wrong. I have a heartfelt distaste for the military and it's not really based on anything. Well, the ways of the military. Something isn't right with this picture and I'm not quite sure what it is yet.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Yes, but both of these are much cheaper than a plane ticket.
    And leads to a human being who can't take care of his/herself.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yep.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

exactly right!

MBTI
    ENFJ

I thought we were talking about hurting people?

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    No, I assume most of them are the opposite of emotionally fragile. And I think thats why most of them come out pro-military, at least the ones I know. This isn't feelings I'm talking about. I'm talking about the sense of self and sense of worth, and sense of autonomy.

So teamwork and discipline. And you said working under stress earlier. All 3 of these things are taught in the civilian world, only to a much less degree.

I still respect anyone in the millitary tremendously. Don't get me wrong. I have a heartfelt distaste for the military and it's not really based on anything. Well, the ways of the military. Something isn't right with this picture and I'm not quite sure what it is yet.
    Sense of self, and sense of worth, you have to find for yourself. I have always been autonomous, and dislike taking orders. Which is why I disliked being in the military.

Perhaps you might look into a shortened version for yourself. So you have some experience to base ideas on.

If you find out what's wrong, let me know.

The whole world doesn't seem to be quite right to me.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics

Sense of self, and sense of worth, you have to find for yourself. I have always been autonomous, and dislike taking orders. Which is why I disliked being in the military.

Perhaps you might look into a shortened version for yourself. So you have some experience to base ideas on.

If you find out what's wrong, let me know.

The whole world doesn't seem to be quite right to me.
    I don't want to experience that. Would you want to experience rape and then talk about it? I feel similarly about both.

I don't get what you mean about finding your own sense of worth and sense of self. We have it already.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I am starting to think that the best way to break someone is not to send them to boot camp but to send them to music school.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I am starting to think that the best way to break someone is not to send them to boot camp but to send them to music school.
    to 'break someone'? I don't understand your cryptic posts whatsoever. You are very dense. (in a good way)