First 23456 Last

Thread: Wtf, military

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Isaac View Post
    No, I retired after 22 years and some change 2 months ago.
    Oh, hahaha. Well, congratulations then
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

No, I retired after 22 years and some change 2 months ago.
    God. I am oooold.

Went in in '87-'88 or thereabouts eh?

Me too.

But I am not ISTP. All the hurry up and wait drove me insane.

.... Never mind. I was, and still am, weirder than a six-headed cat.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    As marm said, it's partially to desensitize them. It's also a prelude to more intense sessions designed to make them rely on their training, and be able to function under great stress.

And yes, they could complete the task without the yelling, etc. But that would defeat the purpose of the whole scenario. They aren't trying to teach them to tie their shoes, or learn flower arranging. They are trying to teach them to function under immense stress.

The vast majority of drill instructors don't like acting that way. And that's what it is, an act. They are trying to determine who can function under stress, and who is incapable. They are trying to prevent unnecessary casualties later on, by weeding out those without the mental toughness to keep going under stress. And who may do something stupid, or not do what is required, and get their buddies killed.
    Desensitize them from what?

I'm not really concerned about the stress they're put under. I'm concerned about the damage done to the person and their emotional health.

what are the things boot camp is supposed to prepare you for, besides functioning under stress?

Biaxident knows what he's talking about and I am compelled to give a thumbs up to all of his answers. I did a tour as a Marine Drill Instructor

Those Drill Instructors had to be politically correct in front of the cameras-it gets a lot crazier than what you see in those two videos.

That is the type of training that has helped to keep a lot of our people alive while overthrowing three governments (Yugoslavia, Afghanistan and Iraq) within a 5 year time span.
    i'm sure it helped, but at the cost of destroying the sense of self. The argument (seems to be) that you need to do that to do war. But I also don't agree with war.

I'm not sure if I'm a pacifist. But I know I don't agree that devaluing something intrinsically valuable is ok only when the benefit is high enough. This can't be the absolute only way to prepare people for war.

MBTI
    ISTP

Thanks Take 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    .... Never mind. I was, and still am, weirder than a six-headed cat.
    That is good. Sane people are boring!

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    Desensitize them from what?

I'm not really concerned about the stress they're put under. I'm concerned about the damage done to the person and their emotional health.

what are the things boot camp is supposed to prepare you for, besides functioning under stress?
    You are assuming that the vast majority of those people, who voluntarily decided to go to boot camp, are emotionally fragile? They all had some idea of what was going to happen.

Desensitize them to abuse, mental or physical.

Boot camp is about learning to work together with disparate individuals to accomplish whatever objective your leader sets for you. And doing it with the minimum of interpersonal friction. And maximum efficiency. And learning to take orders you may not understand and still perform the task.

To boil it down further. Discipline is what boot camp is about. The individual's discipline, enabling him to perform to certain standards. And teaching it if needed. And group discipline, where the needs of the group subsume personal needs, until a task is completed.

And as far as emotional health is concerned, most people come out stronger than when they arrived.

Out of curiosity, how many people have to actually talked to in real life, who have gone through boot camp?

Do not base your distaste, on what the media sells you. Ask real people.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

That is good. Sane people are boring!
    Damn straight.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i don't have any military experience. but what i do have experience with is helping run a youth anti-gang program, and we have a close working relationship with a youth boot camp outside of the city. it is a camp for teens that have been convicted of crimes, they are sent to this camp instead of serving a prison/juvenile sentence. it is run by former military personnel and drill instructors, and it is a lot of this very harsh and agressive treatment. but they get incredible results, they really turn these kids around in unbelievable ways.

it is sometimes seemingly brutal treatment, but the drill instructors do want you to succeed. it is pretty natural for people to want to remain in their comfort zone, where everything is safe and comfortable. but when you are pushed into this stressful situation where you dig deep into yourself and succeed, it is incredibly rewarding. it puts so much strength and resilience in you, in your mind and in your heart. it makes you very aware of how FAR you can go on your strengths, how much you can really accomplish.

it is not as damaging pschologically as you would think. people have an incredible ability to adapt. people are capable of so much more strength than they realize, and it is impossible to see that until it is tested.
    boot camp is not about detsroying your sense of self and identity. in so many ways it really builds your confidence, your self-respect, your ability to believe in yourself. maybe it is hard to understand until you see the process in action.

When I was 13 and 14, I went through two separate 5 day training sessions like this which were slightly worse than you see in the videos, except for the physical violence. (The course was led by a few current and retired special ops people.) I did it twice because I overlooked one detail on the final assessment and failed because of that. I had to do it all over again the next year. The first year, I had to help carry a teammate back to camp who had become hypothermic and unable to walk on a winter nighttime land navigation exercise. We were constantly persuaded to quit the training at any time.

I did it because I wanted to challenge myself and see what being in the military was like without committing years of my life, and possibly my life itself, to it.

Even though I was younger than boot camp recruits, the only long-term emotional affect this training had on me was to make me stronger and more relaxed and confident about everyday life.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    it is not as damaging pschologically as you would think. people have an incredible ability to adapt. people are capable of so much more strength than they realize, and it is impossible to see that until it is tested.
    I guess if you really wanted to hurt someone, you'd do it slowly and subtly, huh?

Either that or take a nine-iron to their kneecaps.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I guess if you really wanted to hurt someone, you'd do it slowly and subtly, huh?

Either that or take a nine-iron to their kneecaps.
    It would hurt a lot more to be thrown into a war zone after being babied and mollycoddled.