User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Wtf, military

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    What if there's a draft and too many of your men are psychologically unstable?
    I can't answer a 'what-if ' scenario like that with any veracity. I doubt there are many people who can. I haven't been in for a long while now. Nor would I go back. I like the ability to question, and do as I like.

That said. I learned a lot, even though I disliked almost every minute. The alternative was worse.

Do some research into Vietnam, there are plenty of documented cases of instability.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    What strikes us is how paranoid Americans are about their government.

In fact your bogus right to bear arms is often defended as a last ditch defence against your own elected government.

But in practice you are armed against each other.

As Pogo says, "We have found the enemy, and he is us".

You fear each other. No wonder you are paranoid.

But we always remember that paranoia is psychological preparation to attack. So who will you attack next?
    It is far better to be feared than to be loved.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    I can't answer a 'what-if ' scenario like that with any veracity. I doubt there are many people who can. I haven't been in for a long while now. Nor would I go back. I like the ability to question, and do as I like.

That said. I learned a lot, even though I disliked almost every minute. The alternative was worse.

Do some research into Vietnam, there are plenty of documented cases of instability.
    I may have to do that research.

I don't know. I've just seen that it's extremely easy to instill fear in some people. A lot of people, actually. It can be done very quietly.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ISTP

Biaxident knows what he's talking about and I am compelled to give a thumbs up to all of his answers. I did a tour as a Marine Drill Instructor

Those Drill Instructors had to be politically correct in front of the cameras-it gets a lot crazier than what you see in those two videos.

That is the type of training that has helped to keep a lot of our people alive while overthrowing three governments (Yugoslavia, Afghanistan and Iraq) within a 5 year time span.
    Likes JAVO liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I may have to do that research.

I don't know. I've just seen that it's extremely easy to instill fear in some people. A lot of people, actually. It can be done very quietly.
    Teaching people to deal with the reality of WAR cannot be done quietly. It's not just about instilling fear into people - like Biaxadent said, it's teaching people to perform under the most extreme pressure humanly imaginable and preparing them for the unfathomable cruelties of the enemy.

I suggest you also do some reading as to what is considered "normal" in some other cultures, and you may find that America is quite tame in comparison.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Isaac View Post
    Biaxident knows what he's talking about and I am compelled to give a thumbs up to all of his answers. I did a tour as a Marine Drill Instructor

Those Drill Instructors had to be politically correct in front of the cameras-it gets a lot crazier than what you see in those two videos.

That is the type of training that has helped to keep a lot of our people alive while overthrowing three governments (Yugoslavia, Afghanistan and Iraq) within a 5 year time span.
    Are you deployed now? I'd always be interested to hear anything you would like to share about your tours and thoughts in your career.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

the GI bill and 3 sqares a day were sure worth it for me.
    and i can take someone out at 500 meters to boot
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Teaching people to deal with the reality of WAR cannot be done quietly. It's not just about instilling fear into people - like Biaxadent said, it's teaching people to perform under the most extreme pressure humanly imaginable and preparing them for the unfathomable cruelties of the enemy.

I suggest you also do some reading as to what is considered "normal" in some other cultures, and you may find that America is quite tame in comparison.
    Perhaps it is just incomprehensible to me, someone whose body decides to become deathly ill at even a "normal" amount of stress.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Perhaps it is just incomprehensible to me, someone whose body decides to become deathly ill at even a "normal" amount of stress.
    There's lots of dark stuff in the world Haphazard. Dark. Obviously there are many things in this world that you are still innocent about, which is normal at your age.

And it's good that you know yourself well enough that you assuredly would not attempt to join the military. I, for one, would not either.

That's why it's great that joining the service is voluntary. There is currently no draft, and if you were actually found to be emotionally or psychologically ill during your exam if you did happen to be drafted for some strange reason, they wouldn't take you anyway.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Are you deployed now?
    No, I retired after 22 years and some change 2 months ago.