User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Wtf, military

Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    What a terrible disservice to humanity this is.
    Yes, and the military of the USA has been using MBTI during and since WW II to brainwash its recruits. Just as this site uses MBTI to brainwash adolescents who are emotionally and financially dependent on their parents.

It's interesting that military recruits and adolescents are both highly dependent and both are susceptible to MBTI.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's never ok to treat someone like that. They can accomplish their task without that. No, I don't know why they do that.
    Well, my good sir, I'm just as soft-hearted as you are - but I think a couple of good college History classes just might scare you out of that opinion. While it may seem disturbing to us that American soldiers are treated that way, it is because they must face cruelty during war that is unimaginable to you and I. While this may appear like straight up tyrranny to you, it's nothing compared to the way some countries would treat civilians (including old men, women and children) if they actually did "take over."
    Likes Dyslexxie, JAVO liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Well, my good sir, I'm just as soft-hearted as you are - but I think a couple of good college History classes just might scare you out of that opinion. While it may seem disturbing to us that American soldiers are treated that way, it is because they must face cruelty during war that is unimaginable to you and I. While this may appear like straight up tyrranny to you, it's nothing compared to the way some countries would treat civilians (including old men, women and children) if they actually did "take over."
    The USA is not under any threat of being taken over. Quite the reverse is true.

It is only in the fervid imaginings of paranoid Americans that there is any threat of being taken over.

But we all know that paranoia is psychological preparation to attack.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The USA is not under any threat of being taken over. Quite the reverse is true.

It is only in the fervid imaginings of paranoid Americans that there is any threat of being taken over.

But we all know that paranoia is psychological preparation to attack.
    In times of prosperity, it is best to plan for times of adversity.

Military power is real power, and immediate power. It has a lot of weight behind it, and I think the US wields it very well, especially compared to how other states have, or would, use it.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ENFJ

It's never ok to treat someone like that. They can accomplish their task without that. No, I don't know why they do that.
    See, I wonder why there are not more Hassans.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by run

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Well, my good sir, I'm just as soft-hearted as you are - but I think a couple of good college History classes just might scare you out of that opinion. While it may seem disturbing to us that American soldiers are treated that way, it is because they must face cruelty during war that is unimaginable to you and I. While this may appear like straight up tyranny to you, it's nothing compared to the way some countries would treat civilians (including old men, women and children) if they actually did "take over."

As marm said, it's partially to desensitize them. It's also a prelude to more intense sessions designed to make them rely on their training, and be able to function under great stress.

And yes, they could complete the task without the yelling, etc. But that would defeat the purpose of the whole scenario. They aren't trying to teach them to tie their shoes, or learn flower arranging. They are trying to teach them to function under immense stress.

The vast majority of drill instructors don't like acting that way. And that's what it is, an act. They are trying to determine who can function under stress, and who is incapable. They are trying to prevent unnecessary casualties later on, by weeding out those without the mental toughness to keep going under stress. And who may do something stupid, or not do what is required, and get their buddies killed.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    They are trying to determine who can function under stress, and who is incapable. They are trying to prevent unnecessary casualties later on, by weeding out those without the mental toughness to keep going under stress. And who may do something stupid, or not do what is required, and get their buddies killed.
    What do they do to the ones who are, in fact, incapable?

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    In times of prosperity, it is best to plan for times of adversity.

Military power is real power, and immediate power. It has a lot of weight behind it, and I think the US wields it very well, especially compared to how other states have, or would, use it.
    What strikes us is how paranoid Americans are about their government.

In fact your bogus right to bear arms is often defended as a last ditch defence against your own elected government.

But in practice you are armed against each other.

As Pogo says, "We have found the enemy, and he is us".

You fear each other. No wonder you are paranoid.

But we always remember that paranoia is psychological preparation to attack. So who will you attack next?

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    What do they do to the ones who are, in fact, incapable?
    Send them home. With no permanent black mark as long as they weren't criminal.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    Send them home. With no permanent black mark as long as they weren't criminal.
    What if there's a draft and too many of your men are psychologically unstable?