First 12

Thread: Hotel Rwanda

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by evilrobot View Post
    The US has been each of those for a long time. Or to put it another way, the good guy world cop also has a shadow side. Human nature is contradictory, and you can't separate it from global politics.
    That's a great point and a very good analogy/reference, the shadow I mean.

I wouldnt pretend that there's not machavellianism, the world is like that actually, by the same token I know that I have benefited from it, that's not to say I'm complicit or condone the status quo, just that I can imagine worse ones.

Trade US hegemony for Chinese or Russian hegemony for instance? Would isolationism be a vast improvement on interventionism? Either way people die.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Your lack of knowledge is no laughing matter.
    Let's just drop it.
    Seconded, Jag. On the ball as always.

Lark is testimony to the maxim that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont know if this thread has been done before, has anyone seen Hotel Rwanda?

I've been watching it this evening and its very interesting, the character of Paul the Hotel owner is interesting, his character, resilience, resolve and conviction.

Also the sort of crisis talk and interaction interests me too, how people crisis manage and attempt to de-escalate or manage conflict were resolution is impossible. Those things interest me, its all some how truer to life and the horrors and chaos of wars and conflict than action flicks.

Besides perhaps The Killing Fields I dont think I've seen a movie like this, I read a book about it some time ago and thought that the guy was very self-effacing and minimised his role in rescuing and saving all those people. Under stated heroism.
    Jeez. Can't you open the thread in the Arts & Entertainment section.

Do you want to talk about a film, or do you want to talk about Rwanda. If it's the former don't post it here.

In economics - as with many things - over-supply leads to rapid devaluation.

There's another maxim you're bound to be familiar with. Empty vessels make the most noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I do care a great deal but the US cant be an "evil empire" or "imperialist" and great guy world cop at the same time, there's a lot of contradiction in the world's views of the US, especially European views, its unhealthy because there's a lot which is worse than the US.

The US has been each of those for a long time. Or to put it another way, the good guy world cop also has a shadow side. Human nature is contradictory, and you can't separate it from global politics.
    Power is ambivalent.

And the USA has been the largest economy in the world for more than a hundred years and has all the power this brings.

So it is only natural that we feel ambivalent towards the USA.

But what is striking is that the Americans haven't yet realised that having power itself is ambivalent. The ambivalence of power hasn't yet been grasped by the Americans. For not only do they want and have power but they want to be loved as well and are constantly surprised at the ambivalence of the world towards them.

Quite sincerely they cry, "Why do they hate us so when we do so much for them", when in fact the world loves you as much as hates you.

And just as children love and hate their parents, and just as we love and hate our lovers, we love and hate the Americans.

And love and hate are only two sides of the same coin - the killer is indifference.

For instance, Peguy hates me but it is those who ignore me, those who are indifferent to me, who would drive me away.

The coin here is attention and it doesn't matter whether it is positive or negative, it doesn't matter whether it is love or hate, as long as it is paid.

As long as you pay attention to me, I live in your minds, and you in mine.