User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post

I think New York is considered the epitome of high brow American culture, and even then something is lacking because it doesn't comprise the more Southern and Midwestern elements of that sort of "old-fashioned, down home" American culture. To say that one American city exemplifies American culture as a whole is simplistic. I agree with my old math professor who was from Russia: he said one of the main things he loved about America is that every part of the country is so different.
    Actually, New York isn't the epitome of any American culture, nor does it really belong to the US (culturally). This metropolis is the Cultural capital of the world. I'm not sure a rural Texan farmer would feel as home in NYC than an average French would.

NYC is the most global of the global cities.

->Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I feel at home in NYC. I don't in Las Vegas, it's another planet.
    As soon as I leave the vicinities of this city, I find the "real" USA back again. But Manhattan can only be described as an extraterritorial, international enclave within the US-ruled territory.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENFJ

It actually lacks a great deal in terms of culture. The public art museum is a joke, the music scene is so-so and is mainly comprised of old hacks who have come to die and garage bands, the schools are horrible including UNLV which is not a very good college, and I strongly felt that I was more surrounded by culture in Raleigh, NC than I ever was in Vegas.
    No, no, if I had wanted culture, I would have stayed home. I've been to a lot of those kinds of places. Vegas was different. It was like eating candy until you threw up.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    YaYa

It actually lacks a great deal in terms of culture. The public art museum is a joke, the music scene is so-so and is mainly comprised of old hacks who have come to die and garage bands, the schools are horrible including UNLV which is not a very good college, and I strongly felt that I was more surrounded by culture in Raleigh, NC than I ever was in Vegas.
    Thats kind of the point. Flashy cosmetic libidinous outside. Hollow rusty inside.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Actually, New York isn't the epitome of any American culture, nor does it really belong to the US (culturally). This metropolis is the Cultural capital of the world. I'm not sure a rural Texan farmer would feel as home in NYC than an average French would.

NYC is the most global of the global cities.

->Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I feel at home in NYC. I don't in Las Vegas, it's another planet.
    As soon as I leave the vicinities of this city, I find the "real" USA back again. But Manhattan can only be described as an extraterritorial, international enclave within the US-ruled territory.
    Yeah I kind of already stated this in different language in my post. New York is still considered most "high brow" of American culture, as far as I know, exponentially over Los Angeles and Hollywood. I suppose it is high brow because it is so global.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    Thats kind of the point. Flashy cosmetic libidinous outside. Hollow rusty inside.
    But that's not the epitome of American culture. It's just the epitome of what's wrong with Capitalism.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    No, no, if I had wanted culture, I would have stayed home. I've been to a lot of those kinds of places. Vegas was different. It was like eating candy until you threw up.
    Yeah. It's Disney Land for adults.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Charleston S.C.

That is one place I place I consider a great ambassador of southern culture.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Lots of food for thought, thanks.

Along Litvyak's line of discussion, I don't see much point or purpose in holding judgment against someone for lacking a useless thing. Ideally, those critics waste their breath and their time. But in this world, I guess it's never so simple as living by "what's useful" vs. "what's not," with so many other degrees of contribution.

In other words, maybe it is "beside the point" after all. My point was about a matter of principle, I guess.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I don't see culture as useless. To the contrary, it is a large part of what cohesively holds together any society intellectually, spiritually, and/or emotionally. Aesthetics are not useless, either.

I really get annoyed when people call art and culture useless. The point of learning "high culture" as opposed to low culture is to study common themes in humanity cross societies and through the ages. It is a part of comprehending our human existence.

While I understand that not everyone "needs" that to, say, be a farmer, a steelworker, or an accountant, I entirely balk at the suggestion that it is "useless."

Even naiive, primitive, and folk art make up an important element of the human experience, though.

MBTI
    nite
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

I really get annoyed when people call art and culture useless.
    Agreed. It's a small-minded view.
    X___________________________________

If things are not what they seem, and we are forever reminded that this is the case—then it must also be observed that enough of us ignore this truth to keep the world from collapsing. –Thomas Ligotti, The Mystics of Muelenberg