User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 65

  1. #41
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Ever seen some of the remains of early French settlements across America Blackmail!?

  2. #42
    Senior Member avolkiteshvara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    YaYa
    Posts
    895

    Default

    There was some post modern Philosopher, I forget who, that said Vegas is the epitome of America.

    It is unashamed unabashed excess........light flashing everywhere, recreations of the wonders of the world, sex, booze, gambling, shops to completely blow all your money on. After actually going there, I tend to agree. Its like the psyche of the U.S.

  3. #43
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    There was some post modern Philosopher, I forget who, that said Vegas is the epitome of America.

    It is unashamed unabashed excess........light flashing everywhere, recreations of the wonders of the world, sex, booze, gambling, shops to completely blow all your money on. After actually going there, I tend to agree. Its like the psyche of the U.S.
    I wouldn't go that far. I lived in Vegas for six years, and I'll say, rather, that it's the epitome of what's bad about America - but it is not the epitome of American culture as a whole.

    It's also the closest thing to a Libertarian government that exists in the US, which I think is a bad thing, but might be good depending on your view point. However, I don't think you can make an informed decision about it until you've actually lived there and had to put up with the bullshit that stems from that, not just visited. Visiting is much more pleasant.

  4. #44
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    There was some post modern Philosopher, I forget who, that said Vegas is the epitome of America.

    It is unashamed unabashed excess........light flashing everywhere, recreations of the wonders of the world, sex, booze, gambling, shops to completely blow all your money on. After actually going there, I tend to agree. Its like the psyche of the U.S.
    I don't know. I've been to Vegas, it wasn't the prettiest place, it wasn't the nicest, but it was certainly the most fascinating, but I think that was because it was so damn exotic to me.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  5. #45
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    There was some post modern Philosopher, I forget who, that said Vegas is the epitome of America.
    I'm going to guess Foucault.

  6. #46
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Ever seen some of the remains of early French settlements across America Blackmail!?
    Well, I used Matisse, Monet and Matisse only as a way to show my bewilderment. You Americans dare to possess the majority of their paintings scattered across your continental landmass, even more than their home country, France!!
    Some of your private collections have nothing to envy with our most prestigious national museums.

    That's what I meant. This wasn't a bad display of French cultural centrism.

    Actually, I should also content myself with a Turner, a Mirů, a Kandinsky, a Rothko or a Rauschenberg.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  7. #47
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Well, I used Matisse, Monet and Matisse only as a way to show my bewilderment. You Americans dare to possess the majority of their paintings scattered across your continental landmass, even more than their home country, France!!
    Some of your private collections have nothing to envy with our most prestigious national museums.

    That's what I meant. This wasn't a bad display of French cultural centrism.

    Actually, I should also content myself with a Turner, a Mirů, a Kandinsky, a Rothko or a Rauschenberg.
    I meant colonial-era settlements, when France ruled large parts of North America until the French and Indian Wars(Seven Years' War):


  8. #48
    Senior Member avolkiteshvara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    YaYa
    Posts
    895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I'm going to guess Foucault.
    Yeah that sounds right.

  9. #49
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I'm going to guess Foucault.
    I'd rather imagine it's Robert Venturi (a postmodernist architect and theorician), and his famous book "The Learning from Las Vegas"...

    (with Denise Scott Brown and Steven Izenour), MIT Press, Cambridge MA, 1972, revised 1977
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  10. #50
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I don't know. I've been to Vegas, it wasn't the prettiest place, it wasn't the nicest, but it was certainly the most fascinating, but I think that was because it was so damn exotic to me.
    It actually lacks a great deal in terms of culture. The public art museum is a joke, the music scene is so-so and is mainly comprised of old hacks who have come to die and garage bands, the schools are horrible including UNLV which is not a very good college, and I strongly felt that I was more surrounded by culture in Raleigh, NC than I ever was in Vegas.

    I think New York is considered the epitome of high brow American culture, and even then something is lacking because it doesn't comprise the more Southern and Midwestern elements of that sort of "old-fashioned, down home" American culture. To say that one American city exemplifies American culture as a whole is simplistic. I agree with my old math professor who was from Russia: he said one of the main things he loved about America is that every part of the country is so different.

Similar Threads

  1. Colorful Sayings/Quotes
    By ladypinkington in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 05-10-2010, 06:28 PM
  2. Americans--care to be my cultural interpreter?
    By Usehername in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 11:09 PM
  3. Words of Wisdom, Inspiring Quotes, etc
    By rivercrow in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 06:39 PM
  4. [MBTItm] Quote on Intution
    By heart in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-15-2007, 01:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO