User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Class marker. We only really remember "high culture" because the wealthy and powerful get their affairs passed on through history, while the hoi polloi fade into obscurity, only to be referenced in cultural talismans we have little understanding of.

French high culture is only so valued because it was the last cultural center before industrialization and mass culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It's low.
    So Shakespeare is inherently bad? When written, it was as low of low culture as anything in England.

MBTI
    INFJ

This is why I like living in New England, nowhere else in the US is it so easy to access more refined cultural stuff.

Like taking the metro north into Grand Central station, having a nice breakfast, walking about NYC, going to the metro museum of art, then to a broadway show, then to a fine dinner, then the train ride back home.
    Ground control to Major Tom

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    i always wondered why being "cultured" means things like French art, Renaissance art, etc...

what about Navajo, Peruvian, or some long lost tribal art in the Amazon? In the end, isn't "cultural" art just about the status of that civilization? What really makes following one " chic culture" better than following some " long lost culture"?
    I've always used a different definition of cultured (one unique to me, as far as I know) in that I define someone as "cultured" if they are strongly influenced by the standards and outlooks typical/traditional to the section of society in which they were raised.

By this standard a Navajo indian can be every bit as cultured as a high society dilettante. Actually a tatooed, pierced, crack snorting, skinhead gangland thug can be cultured by this standard, just so long as he aligns himself with the values of his home environment.

As it happens, I consider myself to be uncultured in this respect.

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think that to be cultured is understand the history that is reflected in the arts.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I thing being cultured means first and foremost, that you have seen and can appreciate other cultures than your own.

Secondarily, it can also mean that you are a good ambassador for your own culture.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

What? Really some people don't know about Mr. Olympus?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    I met an exchange student from France who was studying American culture.

My first thought was " we have culture"?
    I'm French myself, and I've always wondered...
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Example: A modern U.S. citizen doesn't know what Mt. Olympus is, or the legends associated with it. Most people who are "better cultured" are aware of those things, and some look down on this person. But would knowing it really benefit this person?
    The 'benefit' of it is irrelevant. Not knowing what Mt. Olympus is shows either a serious lack of intellectual curiosity (interest) and/or a lack of proper education (which can be traced back to disadvantageous social background). If an average middle-class american doesn't know what Mt. Olympus is, I look down on him/her because it reflects that he/she doesn't have an open eye and an open mind to question things around himself/herself.

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    My first thought was " we have culture"?
    Yes. And an interesting one too, if I might add.

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I've always used a different definition of cultured (one unique to me, as far as I know) in that I define someone as "cultured" if they are strongly influenced by the standards and outlooks typical/traditional to the section of society in which they were raised.

By this standard a Navajo indian can be every bit as cultured as a high society dilettante. Actually a tatooed, pierced, crack snorting, skinhead gangland thug can be cultured by this standard, just so long as he aligns himself with the values of his home environment.

As it happens, I consider myself to be uncultured in this respect.
    hmm yeah that makes sense. I can see what you mean.

When people wonder what the major cultural difference is between LA and NY, I think its this:

1) In NYC, if a theaterhouse has extra tickets all of a suddent, it gets auctioned it to the highest bidder. Person with the most money wins

2) In LA, if a theaterhouse has extra tickets, it gets raffled off and everyone has an equal chance to get it. Rich or poor.

Its like the Michael Jackson funeral, it was held in LA, so tickets to attend it was raffled off randomly. Everyone had an equal chance, whether you were Hugh Hefner or Joe Schmoe. If it was held in NYC, tickets would be sold to the highest bidder. This I believe, is one major cultural difference between LA and NYC.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    The 'benefit' of it is irrelevant. Not knowing what Mt. Olympus is shows either a serious lack of intellectual curiosity (interest) and/or a lack of proper education (which can be traced back to disadvantageous social background). If an average middle-class american doesn't know what Mt. Olympus is, I look down on him/her because it reflects that he/she doesn't have an open eye and an open mind to question things around himself/herself.
    No, he's too busy working to provide the benefits of society you consume while spending your time navel-gazing. How's knowing what or where Mt. Olympus is going to help put food on your table?