User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

  1. #1
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default This is Sparta!!

    Any fans of the Pelopponesian War (spelling)? Do you think it has lessons to teach every generation or is it ancient history? Democracy vs. Dictatorship or a bunch of greeks battling it out for a lost cause?

  2. #2
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    I used to draw parallels between it and the Cold War.

  3. #3
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Any fans of the Pelopponesian War (spelling)? Do you think it has lessons to teach every generation or is it ancient history? Democracy vs. Dictatorship or a bunch of greeks battling it out for a lost cause?
    Actually, according to history the proto-democrats were rather Persians than the proto-fascist Spartans.

    Remember that the real cause for this war was the fact the Persian Empire had abolished slavery and granted individual rights to the Greek inhabitants of their eastern colonies, concepts unknown in the West. And thus it threatened the economical and moral supremacy of Greece.

    ---

    And as a matter of fact, the movie called "300" is indeed a Nazi propaganda. Just look at who inspired it (a guy who declared the Waffen SS were "freedom fighters of the West"), who raised the money (groups affiliated to the KKK) and who produced it.
    Same Nazi aesthetics (you know Leni Riefenstahl?), same revolting moral and political ideology.

    People should learn how to decipher subtexts before they consume. We have a thread here about 'high culture" and "popular culture", well this movie is a shining example of the difference existing between the two.
    Last edited by Blackmail!; 12-12-2009 at 03:14 AM.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  4. #4
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Actually, according to history the proto-democrats were rather Persians than the proto-fascist Spartans.

    Remember that the real cause for this war was the fact the Persian Empire had abolished slavery and granted individual rights to the Greek inhabitants of their eastern colonies, concepts unknown in the West. And thus it threatened the economical and moral supremacy of Greece.

    ---

    And as a matter of fact, the movie called "300" is indeed a Nazi propaganda. Just look at who inspired it (a guy who declared the Waffen SS were "freedom fighters of the West"), who raised the money and who produced it.
    Same Nazi aesthetics, same moral ideology.

    People should learn how to decipher subtexts before they consume.
    Mr. Blackmail, the movie 300 was not about the Peloponnesian War. The Peloponnesian War did not involve Persia. It was two greek leagues against each other, one led by Sparta and the other led by Athens. The dictatorship in this case, or more accurately the "timocracy", is Sparta, and the democracy is Athens.

    The thread title is a bit misleading with the quote from 300, but that's not what this is about.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  5. #5
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Mr. Blackmail, the movie 300 was not about the Peloponnesian War. The Peloponnesian War did not involve Persia. It was two greek leagues against each other, one led by Sparta and the other led by Athens. The dictatorship in this case, or more accurately the "timocracy", is Sparta, and the democracy is Athens.

    The thread title is a bit misleading with the quote from 300, but that's not what this is about.
    You're absolutely right.

    I was just attempting to derail the thread and I'm glad you noticed it!

    Please receive my apologies.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  6. #6
    Listening Oaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    6,168

    Default

    I was fooled! This is not about the over-popular meme.

  7. #7
    No Cigar Litvyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,787

    Default

    I don't like this part of greek history (the corruption of the Delian League -> formation of the Corinthian Congress).
    I see it as the beginning of the end. 'Love the Golden Age of Athens though.

  8. #8
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    And as a matter of fact, the movie called "300" is indeed a Nazi propaganda. Just look at who inspired it (a guy who declared the Waffen SS were "freedom fighters of the West"), who raised the money (groups affiliated to the KKK) and who produced it.
    Same Nazi aesthetics (you know Leni Riefenstahl?), same revolting moral and political ideology.

    People should learn how to decipher subtexts before they consume. We have a thread here about 'high culture" and "popular culture", well this movie is a shining example of the difference between the two.
    Fuh fuh fuh.

Similar Threads

  1. If y ou're post, this is where you drunk!
    By Kanamori in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 4611
    Last Post: 12-10-2017, 07:15 PM
  2. If you're hungry, this is where you post!
    By rhinosaur in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-22-2015, 08:35 AM
  3. This is me...in a nutshell.
    By JediM05 in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-21-2007, 05:19 PM
  4. hello, all...this is another INFP in the corner of his world
    By niki in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-18-2007, 06:32 AM
  5. This is why incest is against the law...
    By The Ü™ in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2007, 01:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO