User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ

Soon to have Obama's face.... it reinforces my view quite well.
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    *sigh*

That is ridiculous. I would expect one to be a little more intelligent than that. There are places to put guns where you can get to them, without them being a harm to your children. Yes, I am American. I grew up with guns. I was taught about them. I was taught their dangers and beauties.

You don't hide things from kids. You teach them of the consequences.

Anyways, my point is, if this is a quick, loud break-in at night, then you should be able to reach your weapon.

So, in short, you are saying you would rather have no weapon at all?

What would all you Brits do if someone broke in? What is your plan? I am highly curious.
    Where is a good place to put a gun that I can get to it quickly and easily without making it easily accessible to my children? I'd think I'd want to keep it loaded with the safety on in order to make it usable quickly, but that doesn't seem very safe in a household with kids.

Maybe I'm being unintelligent, but the stats for kids being killed or injured from a gun are higher than I am comfortable with. Most people that break into homes try to do it when no one is home and often, one of the things they are looking for is guns because they are high value, often portable, and it's not hard to find people who want to buy them.

I have dogs and a cell phone and I feel pretty safe. I guess I would have to see convincing stats indicating that there were more deaths and injuries due to home break-ins than are due to having a gun in the home and the stats would have to convince me that my family was at least moderately at risk for such a break-in.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Where is a good place to put a gun that I can get to it quickly and easily without making it easily accessible to my children? I'd think I'd want to keep it loaded with the safety on in order to make it usable quickly, but that doesn't seem very safe in a household with kids.

Maybe I'm being unintelligent, but the stats for kids being killed or injured from a gun are higher than I am comfortable with. Most people that break into homes try to do it when no one is home and often, one of the things they are looking for is guns because they are high value, often portable, and it's not hard to find people who want to buy them.

I have dogs and a cell phone and I feel pretty safe. I guess I would have to see convincing stats indicating that there were more deaths and injuries due to home break-ins than are due to having a gun in the home and the stats would have to convince me that my family was at least moderately at risk for such a break-in.
    Trigger locks might be a good idea.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

Do you consider swimming pools too dangerous? Compare the death and injury figures between the two-and then check the figures for guns used in self-defense of homes, persons, and families.

You know your kids better than anyone else, and if you think its more likely they will play with any guns in the home than have their lives protected by the same, then you shouldn't have guns in the home (my parents made a similar decision, despite being staunch proponents of the Second Amendment and growing up with guns in their households)-just don't try to impose your choices on anybody else.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Do you consider swimming pools too dangerous? Compare the death and injury figures between the two-and then check the figures for guns used in self-defense of homes, persons, and families.

You know your kids better than anyone else, and if you think its more likely they will play with any guns in the home than have their lives protected by the same, then you shouldn't have guns in the home (my parents made a similar decision, despite being staunch proponents of the Second Amendment and growing up with guns in their households)-just don't try to impose your choices on anybody else.
    I don't remember having attempted to impose my choices on anyone else, and no, I would not want a swimming pool in my yard.

I think the second amendment horse left the barn when the Union won the civil war, TBH.

But we are supposed to be talking about the UK here.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Trigger locks might be a good idea.
    So I hear a bump in the night and I've got to get up, find my keys (which are someplace the kids are unlikely to come across them), unlock my gun and be ready to kill somebody before they've had a chance to hurt anyone?
    Last edited by Halla74; 12-08-2009 at 10:50 PM.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

more kids die from setting in a car with the windows rolled up on a hot day in the parking lot
    depends on the parent.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    INTP

I don't remember having attempted to impose my choices on anyone else
    I was reading the thread too quickly, and mistook your comments as endorsement of UK-style gun-control-I apologize for my mistake.

MBTI
    ESFJ

So I hear a bump in the night and I've got to get up, find my keys (which are someplace the kids are unlikely to come across them), unlock my gun and be ready to kill somebody before they've had a chance to hurt anyone?
    Well, you could keep the keys under your pillow and the gun in the dresser. Also, just flashing the piece is often enough to get an intruder to flee.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Post deleted, irrelevant content to American Gun Control topic...
    Last edited by Halla74; 12-08-2009 at 10:50 PM.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Post deleted, irrelevant content to American Gun Control topic...
    Last edited by Halla74; 12-08-2009 at 10:51 PM.