First 2101112131422 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Yeah, every revolution in human history has been a disaster and resulted in things sucking even worse than they did before, which in some cases is pretty damn amazing, so I dont think that possessing firearms for a revolution is a good idea.
    I think the value is the prophylactic effect, not the realization of the ultimatum.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Post deleted, irrelevant content to American Gun Control topic...
    Last edited by Halla74; 12-08-2009 at 11:07 PM.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It wouldn't lower the murder rate that much.
    Who's to say? The U.S. murder rate is 4.28 per 100,000. I honestly believe that the number would fall significantly if we decriminalized. Perhaps even to around Finland's, which is the highest for wealthy European nations, at about 2.83 per 100,000. Our murder rate per capita is not good, but it's not insanely high, either.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Rape, robberies, and assualts are commited only by those criminals who do not care whether they live or die?

You have to back up that statement with something more than your opinion, dear sir.
    Do not consider whether they live or die is more accurate. In the case of Rape, murder, assault, muggings etc.

Rapes, assault and murders aren't usually calculated, if they are, the person is usually convinced they can get away with it (and usually can up until the police step in), or they are desperate enough (e.g. poverty) that they don't care. Muggings are too easy to get away with in the short term regardless.

Robberies I'm not so sure on. A mix I would imagine. I really don't know the average profile of a thief.

The problem with studies on the deterrent effects of capital punishment is eliminating the variables. Same with guns, except that gun crime drops rapidly after a short spike if you can actually ban them in the first place.

EDIT: Okay, not exactly proof, but robbery is a widespread crime in Saudi Arabia, despite their "unique" punishments for it. It suffers from the above variable problem though.

Utility to whom, specifically? I don't see how a gun ban benefits my utility.

You might also argue that if we get rid of the 4th amendment, the utility of catching criminals and terrorists will outweigh those than protecting individuals rights.

I disagree.
    Cars help benefit society in numerous ways, too numerous to count. Guns are for hobbies and killing/injuring, quite a limited benefit to most people.

Taking transport away from individuals should have obvious negative effects on utility. I hope I don't have to elaborate on how they benefit society.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Well I guess only the U.S. Constituion does then.
    The constitution might be slightly out of date. I don't suppose, when you write something, you expect it to be equally topical 222 years later, do you?

Secondly, it should be obvious that your rights can only be maintined if authority chooses to respect them. Why, pray tell, would authorities respect a right to make it easier for you to rebel against them?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESFJ

My point relies on the fact that those statistics would imply that guns fail for defense purposes because they put you in more danger. The potential damage caused by a car does not actually contradict what it is intended to do.
    If you eliminate intentional suicide by handgun, the likelihood of being killed by your own handgun is EXTREMELY low. The chances of using it for defensive purposes are much higher than those of being shot to death by your own gun or accidentally shooting yourself.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Yeah, every revolution in human history has been a disaster and resulted in things sucking even worse than they did before, which in some cases is pretty damn amazing, so I dont think that possessing firearms for a revolution is a good idea.
    Yes, the first casualty of revolution is irony. Then all revolutions go on to eat their children.

The first thing we notice about Americans is that they are deaf to irony.

And the second thing is that the American revolution went on to eat its children in their Civil War.

And the startling thing is that the so called war of Independence and the Civil war were entirely unnecessary, for we gained our independence from Britain and united a whole Continent without killing anyone.

But American propaganda valourizes the treacherous revolution of 1776 and goes on to valourize one of the most bloody civil wars in history.

But worse America uses all the power of hollywood to get us to accept their propaganda.

It's bad enough that the Americans believe their own propaganda but they expect us to believe it too.

MBTI
    INTJ

My point relies on the fact that those statistics would imply that guns fail for defense purposes because they put you in more danger.
    Do those statistics reflect how many times violence was averted by a mere presence of a gun (instead of merely recording the instances when a gun was discharged)?
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    If you eliminate intentional suicide by handgun, the likelihood of being killed by your own handgun is EXTREMELY low. The chances of using it for defensive purposes are much higher than those of being shot to death by your own gun or accidentally shooting yourself.
    Again, I don't have the figures on me now, but that's not what I read.

Do those statistics reflect how many times violence was averted by a mere presence of a gun (instead of merely recording the instances when a gun was discharged)?
    How would you record that?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Post deleted, irrelevant content to American Gun Control topic...
    Last edited by Halla74; 12-08-2009 at 11:08 PM.