123 Last

Thread: Social Class

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Social Class

I dont know if there's been a thread about this yet but does anyone consider class to be important? Is it only of historical importance or does it have a day to day importance? Maybe you think we should live in a classless society or that we already do or that we shoud all have more class and that the lack of a class society or showing class is a source of problems by itself

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont know if there's been a thread about this yet but does anyone consider class to be important? Is it only of historical importance or does it have a day to day importance? Maybe you think we should live in a classless society or that we already do or that we shoud all have more class and that the lack of a class society or showing class is a source of problems by itself
    Yes it's important, it gives people similar values and perspectives on life.

If I want to sell products to people class is one of the factors I need to pay atention too.

Even in classless socieites they have trailor trash and people sleeping in cars.

Class is about your roots really, but what one ought to not let class influence is the future... what you aspire to be... in the US they do that better, class does not always predict outcome in a linear fashion, which doesn't hold as strong elsewhere.

It's scary to think that people can be born into poverty with a likihood of staying in poverty their whole lives.

Some communites are in their third generation of perminant unemployment.

Some teendage boys only way of getting self esteme is making girls pregnant, and devil may care about STDs.

Calss dosesn't predict some things, domestic viloence is classless, alcohaulism, Drug use - different in higher social structures.

World health organistions uses similar geo-demograhics as the UK socieo ecconomic group....

sorry I'm rambing and will duely shut up

MBTI
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Tough to answer. Obviously acknowledging that social class exists justifies attention directed toward working class issues, or efforts to rebuild a middle class, both of which I believe are extremely important. So, yes, I think class is important. Populism doesn't exist without a recognition of social hierarchy.

MBTI
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Calss dosesn't predict some things, domestic viloence is classless, alcohaulism, Drug use - different in higher social structures.
    The interesting thing is that some social ills are equally common with the highest and lowest social classes (divorce rates being the most obvious example), but are significantly lower among the middle classes. That's why the progressive movement was a "middle-class" movement. They saw similar social problems with the aristocratic class and the impoverished class. I haven't seen the statistics on drug use or crime, but my instinct says there'd be a similar correlation.

MBTI
    ENTP

[QUOTE=Ruthie;953036]The interesting thing is that some social ills are equally common with the highest and lowest social classes (divorce rates being the most obvious example), but are significantly lower among the middle classes. That's why the progressive movement was a "middle-class" movement. They saw similar social problems with the aristocratic class and the impoverished class. I haven't seen the statistics on drug use or crime, but my instinct says there'd be a similar correlation.[/QUOTE]

I suspect drug use as in crack, H and stuff, have a serious lower end of the scale skew. Shoplifting house breaking etc.... to fuel the habit.

Coke and higher prices drugs etc... higher class

Middle/14-28 year old.... weed, receational etc... student type populations

Booze I supect is classless, as is dom violence, I'm happy to buy that there are certain things that are upper and lower classes....

Class just indicates different populations trends. Obesity I beleive is not a class related issues. But aspirations definately is and possible expectations too.... higher classes expect more from life than lower ones.

Charity is given more by lower classes, possibly because they feel reality more

MBTI
    ?

[QUOTE=tinkerbell;953045]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    The interesting thing is that some social ills are equally common with the highest and lowest social classes (divorce rates being the most obvious example), but are significantly lower among the middle classes. That's why the progressive movement was a "middle-class" movement. They saw similar social problems with the aristocratic class and the impoverished class. I haven't seen the statistics on drug use or crime, but my instinct says there'd be a similar correlation.[/QUOTE]

I suspect drug use as in crack, H and stuff, have a serious lower end of the scale skew. Shoplifting house breaking etc.... to fuel the habit.

Coke and higher prices drugs etc... higher class

Middle/14-28 year old.... weed, receational etc... student type populations

Booze I supect is classless, as is dom violence, I'm happy to buy that there are certain things that are upper and lower classes....

Class just indicates different populations trends. Obesity I beleive is not a class related issues. But aspirations definately is and possible expectations too.... higher classes expect more from life than lower ones.

Charity is given more by lower classes, possibly because they feel reality more
    There is a very strong relationship between obesity and class, with the lowest classes having much higher rates of obesity (cheap food is less healthy, less access to gyms, less free time to work out, etc...) But your theory is correct - there are many social issues that transcend class.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

I view social class from a conflict theorist perspective in that creating 'social class' stratas allows for the oppression of those from the lower class instilled by the upper-class as a way to maintain status quo.

It's an indirect way of justifying why some people 'deserve' to stay in certain classes while others don't by default.

It also contradicts the notion that we are all born as equal beings.

Creating a sort of class system is a way of segregating/dividing people from their own individual rights, and very much so infringes on the abuse of power. It's one of the sociological subjects I'm most passionate about.

MBTI
    ENTP

[QUOTE=Ruthie;953059]
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post

There is a very strong relationship between obesity and class, with the lowest classes having much higher rates of obesity (cheap food is less healthy, less access to gyms, less free time to work out, etc...) But your theory is correct - there are many social issues that transcend class.
    Historically I'd agree, but not anymore, I don't think it's as linear these days. massive parts of the population are now over weight

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    The interesting thing is that some social ills are equally common with the highest and lowest social classes (divorce rates being the most obvious example), but are significantly lower among the middle classes. That's why the progressive movement was a "middle-class" movement. They saw similar social problems with the aristocratic class and the impoverished class. I haven't seen the statistics on drug use or crime, but my instinct says there'd be a similar correlation.
    Yeah but you can buffer the consequences of a "spiritual malaise", to use AA terminology, real well if you have swiss accounts, fiscally being from old money means the costs of personal crisis and consequences will be quite different, ie only social approbation, opportunity costs (life isnt a rehearsal and what I cant get over is how someone on a neurotic trend or binge or crisis streek cant be more troubled about the time passing while they are off track).

Personally I think that the middle class, in so far as it was an intellectual opposition (how Schumpeter the economist coceptualised it) has been co-opted one way or another (security, social services, other bureaus or the various tax funded small business schemes) so society has become diamond shaped rather than pyramid like in its structures.

Although real change is afoot, the one percent is globally mobile and unwilling to shoulder the tax cost of this historic compromise, I dont believe even if it could that the state could provide a job for everyone who wants one but there's also be cultural changes and not everyone who could work wants to, most people are content to be consumers.

MBTI
    YaYa

In the U.S., I think class is defined by personality or celebrity. We hold Celebs at an elevated level, sometimes for doing absolutely nothing. Why is Kim Kardasian famous?