First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    nite
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I don't see how dying from a knife is any less awful than dying from a gun, or any other instrument:
    Japanese man kills seven in Tokyo stabbing rampage | World news | guardian.co.uk

And if a person is intent on killing a family member, a lack of gun won't stop him/her.

So if you accept pure_mercury's statement that gun rampages are rare, what is the point of you villifying guns over any other tools that can be used for murder?
    Itís time for you and a lot of other people to get your heads out of your asses about this and stop deliberately missing the obvious, which is simply that guns make it much easier to kill, especially in numbers. There's no way all these serial shooters would have been able to kill nearly that many people with a knife, and it's highly unlikely any of them even would have attempted anything without firearms.
    X___________________________________

If things are not what they seem, and we are forever reminded that this is the caseóthen it must also be observed that enough of us ignore this truth to keep the world from collapsing. ĖThomas Ligotti, The Mystics of Muelenberg

I don't see how dying from a knife is any less awful than dying from a gun, or any other instrument:
    Japanese man kills seven in Tokyo stabbing rampage | World news | guardian.co.uk

And if a person is intent on killing a family member, a lack of gun won't stop him/her.

So if you accept pure_mercury's statement that gun rampages are rare, what is the point of you villifying guns over any other tools that can be used for murder?
    People who wouldn't kill or harm by more hand-to-hand, grappling means (which is most people, I'd reckon) might yet manage to fire a gun from a safe distance.
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Proximo and Evil Robot you're both right, to be honest the two factors in gun rampages ARE a will and a way, you might want to pop caps in peoples asses but if you dont have access to a gun you'll just want and most people can live with that.

Personally I often think about how its an example once again how because of the minority the law abiding majority has to change their ways instead of vice versa, everything from pedestrian and motoring law right through to the fiscal management of the economy takes account of the fact that at every level irresponsible people will ruin things and everyone else is expected to behave in a mitigating fashion, covering their own asses and theirs.

Whether it lasts or is any better or more successful than a society in which that element goes to the wall, creating all hell in the process or threatening to, I believe remains to be seen.

Guns is one of those issues which will polarise because it involves serious loss, what about something less final but just as life or limb threatening to the stupid, fireworks? My dad and I havent ever been able to get over the general prohibition of fireworks in NI when it hasnt seemed to put a dent in the number in circulation, every year the elderly and dogs alike are scared witless and all its really served to do is prevent law abiding people have some fun.

Quote Originally Posted by evilrobot View Post
    Itís time for you and a lot of other people to get your heads out of your asses about this and stop deliberately missing the obvious, which is simply that guns make it much easier to kill, especially in numbers. There's no way all these serial shooters would have been able to kill nearly that many people with a knife, and it's highly unlikely any of them even would have attempted anything without firearms.
    It's interesting that in places like Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan ect, where guns are readily accessible, bombs made from stock items are the preferred weapon for mass killings.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I don't think that the death is any less awful. But I do think that guns can exponentially increase the number of murders. It makes killing too easy.

"A rifle is just a tool! It's a cold heart that kills!"
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    NICE

Nice thread.

Quote Originally Posted by evilrobot View Post
    Most serial-killers never use a gun.
    Dahmer used a bottle of A-1 sauce, and then ate his victims.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Nice thread.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

"A rifle is just a tool! It's a cold heart that kills!"
    Yes... a gun is a tool. It is a tool designed to do a better job at killing than anything that existed before the gun. This is the basis of the concern.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Yes... a gun is a tool. It is a tool designed to do a better job at killing than anything that existed before the gun. This is the basis of the concern.
    Seems to me you've made up your mind, and will stick to it hell or high water, even if there is an already a retort to your assertion before you even posted.

Quote Originally Posted by ubiquitous1 View Post
    It's interesting that in places like Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan ect, where guns are readily accessible, bombs made from stock items are the preferred weapon for mass killings.