User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Results 111 to 120 of 218

  1. #111
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Not sure what you expect out of me. You want to challenge me to a statistics duel? There are limitations on that. I already mentioned to Magic P that gun ownership statistics don't take into account how many times violence was averted by a mere presence of the gun on a potential victim, without gun being discharged.
    They actually do take that into account. The majority of defensive gun actions don't involve the firing of a single shot.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  2. #112
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Yeah, I concur with that opinion.

    And when there is no clear indication of whether something harms or benefits the society, I yield on the side of personal rights and freedoms.
    I do the same. My personal freedom to walk around without all the crazies getting guns.

    I'm not talking about "outlaws", but half my friends and family. I'm thankful no one bothers to sharpen the kitchen knives, to be honest. The more harmless the average person is the better, in my opinion. As long as the government is more rational and ethical than the average person, and have to actually answer to the people, I'd rather they have the guns then the people I see walking the street.

    There's also the whole argument that you're allowed to want to shoot everyone in the mall in the UK, because you can't. Hence more emotional/mental freedom. In the US you can, so you'd effectively be jailed for those thoughts/desires. Bit of a crappy argument really, but there is a good point in there somewhere (anything is a freedom, maybe?).

    What would be good are statistics on how effective gun control is at getting guns out of the population. My theory is it's a lot easier to regulate guns in a country like the UK than the US.

  3. #113
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    What is the problem with semi-autos? Would revolvers be more acceptable?
    Ideally, I think weapons should be limited to rapiers. That will limit weapons to aristocracy, because those filthy plebs and peasants don't know how to use one. And let's be realistic here, gentlemen: we don't want just any riff raff running amok with anything too deadly.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  4. #114
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Well clearly they are not doing their job effectively. Maybe they should stop up their efforts.
    Yeah, pesky little things like the Fourth and Fifth Amendments, and the Civil Rights Act keep getting in the way.

  5. #115
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    I do the same. My personal freedom to walk around without all the crazies getting guns.

    I'm not talking about "outlaws", but half my friends and family. I'm thankful no one bothers to sharpen the kitchen knives, to be honest. The more harmless the average person is the better, in my opinion. As long as the government is more rational and ethical than the average person, and have to actually answer to the people, I'd rather they have the guns then the people I see walking the street.
    Yeah... about that... I have some baaaddd news for you.

    Government consists of average people at best, and when an average person is exposed to power, then tend to start leaning on the corrupt side of things.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  6. #116
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Yeah, pesky little things like the Fourth and Fifth Amendments and Second Amendments, and the Civil Rights Act keep getting in the way.
    Added a little something to your post, but I agree on everything else.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  7. #117
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Added a little something to your post, but I agree on everything else.
    I like the Second Amendment, particularly the "well-regulated" part. Especially in its Eighteenth-Century context.

  8. #118
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    I like the Second Amendment, particularly the "well-regulated" part. Especially in its Eighteenth-Century context.
    I like the Bill of Rights, especially the fact that it was written by anti-federalists to protect "individual rights" from the corrupt governments and tyranny of the majority.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  9. #119
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Yeah... about that... I have some baaaddd news for you.

    Government consists of average people at best, and when an average person is exposed to power, then tend to start leaning on the corrupt side of things.
    I see much rationality in Judges, high up police officers, and other "silent" UK government members. Often in military leaders and the high ups in the NHS as well, though I hesitate a lot there.

    The mascot part of the government though... not so much.

    The average person being exposed to power. That's what I'm worried about with guns. Whenever the government looks bad, I just look at the people. I'm a shining example of virtue myself however, hence how I can cast such judgement.

  10. #120
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    I see much rationality in Judges, high up police officers, and other "silent" UK government members. Often in military leaders as well, though I hesitate a lot there.

    The mascot part of the government though... not so much.
    We had Dubya as a fucking President for 8 years for God's sake.

    That's as high of a government official as you can get.

    Maybe things work better in UK with the whole monarchy thing, but that's not how we roll here.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Similar Threads

  1. Time to ban taxis in the UK
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-02-2010, 06:09 PM
  2. An INFP in the UK by way of SoCal
    By Lindy Lou in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-13-2009, 01:36 PM
  3. Gun Control in the UK
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 249
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 09:16 AM
  4. Gun Control in the UK (Not Gone, Is Being Fixed...)
    By Halla74 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 11:29 PM
  5. List of #1 Singles in the UK 90's - Hilarious
    By nomadic in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-23-2008, 04:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO