User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Not sure what you expect out of me. You want to challenge me to a statistics duel? There are limitations on that. I already mentioned to Magic P that gun ownership statistics don't take into account how many times violence was averted by a mere presence of the gun on a potential victim, without gun being discharged.
    They actually do take that into account. The majority of defensive gun actions don't involve the firing of a single shot.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Yeah, I concur with that opinion.

And when there is no clear indication of whether something harms or benefits the society, I yield on the side of personal rights and freedoms.
    I do the same. My personal freedom to walk around without all the crazies getting guns.

I'm not talking about "outlaws", but half my friends and family. I'm thankful no one bothers to sharpen the kitchen knives, to be honest. The more harmless the average person is the better, in my opinion. As long as the government is more rational and ethical than the average person, and have to actually answer to the people, I'd rather they have the guns then the people I see walking the street.

There's also the whole argument that you're allowed to want to shoot everyone in the mall in the UK, because you can't. Hence more emotional/mental freedom. In the US you can, so you'd effectively be jailed for those thoughts/desires. Bit of a crappy argument really, but there is a good point in there somewhere (anything is a freedom, maybe?).

What would be good are statistics on how effective gun control is at getting guns out of the population. My theory is it's a lot easier to regulate guns in a country like the UK than the US.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    What is the problem with semi-autos? Would revolvers be more acceptable?
    Ideally, I think weapons should be limited to rapiers. That will limit weapons to aristocracy, because those filthy plebs and peasants don't know how to use one. And let's be realistic here, gentlemen: we don't want just any riff raff running amok with anything too deadly.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Well clearly they are not doing their job effectively. Maybe they should stop up their efforts.
    Yeah, pesky little things like the Fourth and Fifth Amendments, and the Civil Rights Act keep getting in the way.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    I do the same. My personal freedom to walk around without all the crazies getting guns.

I'm not talking about "outlaws", but half my friends and family. I'm thankful no one bothers to sharpen the kitchen knives, to be honest. The more harmless the average person is the better, in my opinion. As long as the government is more rational and ethical than the average person, and have to actually answer to the people, I'd rather they have the guns then the people I see walking the street.
    Yeah... about that... I have some baaaddd news for you.

Government consists of average people at best, and when an average person is exposed to power, then tend to start leaning on the corrupt side of things.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Yeah, pesky little things like the Fourth and Fifth Amendments and Second Amendments, and the Civil Rights Act keep getting in the way.
    Added a little something to your post, but I agree on everything else.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Added a little something to your post, but I agree on everything else.
    I like the Second Amendment, particularly the "well-regulated" part. Especially in its Eighteenth-Century context.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    I like the Second Amendment, particularly the "well-regulated" part. Especially in its Eighteenth-Century context.
    I like the Bill of Rights, especially the fact that it was written by anti-federalists to protect "individual rights" from the corrupt governments and tyranny of the majority.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Yeah... about that... I have some baaaddd news for you.

Government consists of average people at best, and when an average person is exposed to power, then tend to start leaning on the corrupt side of things.
    I see much rationality in Judges, high up police officers, and other "silent" UK government members. Often in military leaders and the high ups in the NHS as well, though I hesitate a lot there.

The mascot part of the government though... not so much.

The average person being exposed to power. That's what I'm worried about with guns. Whenever the government looks bad, I just look at the people. I'm a shining example of virtue myself however, hence how I can cast such judgement.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    I see much rationality in Judges, high up police officers, and other "silent" UK government members. Often in military leaders as well, though I hesitate a lot there.

The mascot part of the government though... not so much.
    We had Dubya as a fucking President for 8 years for God's sake.

That's as high of a government official as you can get.

Maybe things work better in UK with the whole monarchy thing, but that's not how we roll here.