User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post

Mostly, I despise the ability to randomly attack innocent people in public settings. Hand guns make this all too convenient.
    Mostly, I despise the ability of those bigger than me (or those in bigger numbers) to randomly attack me in public settings. Lack of a hand gun makes this all too convenient.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    No more of an increase than the availability of a knife, a blunt object, or a nearby flight of stairs, or of your big enough, your own hands. I don't know what's worse, someone discharging a 9mm in my direction or someone like Mike Tyson punching me in the head (I might have time to react when someone's reaching for a gun).

All these arguments of "let's take away sharp objects from people so they don't hurt each other" is overly paternalistic at best, but usually just tyrannical and oppressive style of government, i.e. "We know what's better for you than you do yourself".

The "War on Drugs" falls under the same category.
    I agree about the war on drugs. However, I think the gun issue is seperate.

Mostly, I despise the ability of those bigger than me (or those in bigger numbers) to randomly attack me in public settings. Lack of a hand gun makes this all too convenient.
    I can see your point here, especially being female, but it seems like more people are getting randomly attacked by guns in public settings than by knives or blunt, heavy objects.

MBTI
    INTJ

I agree about the war on drugs. However, I think the gun issue is seperate.
    Same arguments, just different items.

Drugs availability increase chances of a person hurting themselves, and those around them, etc..

I can see your point here, especially being female, but it seems like more people are getting randomly attacked by guns in public settings than by knives or blunt, heavy objects.
    You are more concerned about unjustifiable offensive actions, while I am more concerned about justifiable protective actions.

As I see it, unjustifiable offensive actions can happen easily without guns, while the effectiveness of justifiable protective actions increase significantly with a presence of a gun.

Also, not sure where you get your "seems like more people are getting randomly attacked by guns in public settings than by knives or blunt, heavy objects" stats from. I guarantee you, there are a lot more people getting hurt from knives, blunt objects, and fists, simply because those are cheaper, unlicensed, and readily available.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Same arguments, just different items.

Drugs availability increase chances of a person hurting themselves, and those around them, etc..

You are more concerned about unjustifiable offensive actions, while I am more concerned about justifiable protective actions.

As I see it, unjustifiable offense actions can happen easily without guns, while justifiable protective actions increase significantly with a presence of a gun.

I would certainly be willing to accept your argument if you can show me actual numbers that prove that guns are protecting people more than they are allowing unjustifiable actions to occur more easily and/or in larger numbers of unjustifiable death and injury.

stampedes in a blunderbuss fashion

sure
    thing is in the UK we dont have us shooting folk willy nilly and calling it a statistic

do we know
    I asked it once, "What are you doing on Earth?" It said, "Listen, if you're a mushroom, you live cheap; besides, I'm telling you, this was a very nice neighborhood until the monkeys got out of control."

MBTI
    INTJ

I would certainly be willing to accept your argument if you can show me actual numbers that prove that guns are protecting people more than they are allowing unjustifiable actions to occur more easily and/or in larger numbers of unjustifiable death and injury.
    Well, for one, cities with strict gun control have a lot more crimes. D.C. is a good example.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well, for one, cities with strict gun control have a lot more crimes. D.C. is a good example.
    But what about entire countries where there is strict gun control? England? Canada?

MBTI
    INTJ

But what about entire countries where there is strict gun control? England? Canada?
    What about entire countries where there is loose gun control and low murder rate? Switzerland? Israel?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

What about entire countries where there is loose gun control and low murder rate? Switzerland? Israel?
    Ok - then what is the problem here in the U.S.?

MBTI
    INTJ

Ok - then what is the problem here in the U.S.?
    see this:

Also, I would prefer to rely on myself for protection, whenever reasonable.