User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 250

  1. #41
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    The UK has one of the lowest firearm murder rates in the world, if not the very lowest. They're doing fine with gun control, along with the rest of Europe, when compared to most other parts of the world with less control.

    Murders with firearms (per capita) by country. Definition, graph and map.
    Isn't it Switzerland though that bucks the trend? Don't they have like a really high gun ownership and a comparatively low gun related crime rate?
    (Probably especially so if suicide isn't taken into account)
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  2. #42
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Isn't it Switzerland though that bucks the trend? Don't they have like a really high gun ownership and a comparatively low gun related crime rate?
    (Probably especially so if suicide isn't taken into account)
    Switzerland actually has higher firearm murder rates than most of Western and Northern Europe. Though because they are a very affluent society, you could probably hand a gun to every man, women, and child there and they still wouldn't be as bad as South Africa or the US.

  3. #43
    Senior Member bighairything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    171

    Default

    How many of the people on this thread speaking in favour of relaxed gun control are actually from the UK, or even know the first thing about this country? I only ask because some of the comments are so mind-bogglingly dumb. For example, if someone were to break into your home over here, it's incredibly unlikely that they would be armed with a gun. But if guns were easier to get hold of, that might not be the case.

    Yesterday I stumbled across the gun porn thread, and of course was disgusted by it as I suspect a great many non-Americans would be. I saw a few other non-Americans voicing their disgust, and the gist of much of the response can be paraphrased as: "gun loving is an important part of American culture, and if you don't like it you can bug off."

    I got to the point where the moderators decided there should be no more discussion of the issue, and decided not to get involved. If Americans want to live in a country where people go around shooting each other, that's their business.

    But seeing as this is a thread about gun control in the UK, and I am from the UK, this would be an appropriate place to point out that most people in the UK find Americans' gun obsession weird, stupid and generally appalling. That's our culture, and if you don't like it you can bug off.

    Gun control works just fine in the UK, and there's no chance of it being relaxed any time soon.
    Last edited by bighairything; 12-08-2009 at 10:43 AM.

  4. #44
    You're fired. Lol. Antimony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,437

    Default

    We are here to post opinions, so there is no need for anyone to bug off.

    We all have our views. Sorry if you find it dumb. To me, liking a gun is like liking a car. Yeah, it can be deadly. So can knives. Well, honestly, cars can be too.

    Sorry if we Americans are so "mind-boggling" dumb. Why should they not have a gun breaking in? Maybe they have a knife. I guess that means you have a knife too. It only takes one person to have a gun and break in to kill you.

    Sorry if you don't like that.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

    Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

  5. #45
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Switzerland actually has higher firearm murder rates than most of Western and Northern Europe. Though because they are a very affluent society, you could probably hand a gun to every man, women, and child there and they still wouldn't be as bad as South Africa or the US.
    Ah so lax gun laws plus a large discrepancy between the haves and have nots is the theory... makes a lot of sense...
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  6. #46
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bighairything View Post
    Yesterday I stumbled across the gun porn thread, and of course was disgusted by it as I suspect a great many non-Americans would be. I saw a few other non-Americans voicing their disgust, and the gist of much of the response can be paraphrased as: "gun loving is an important part of American culture, and if you don't like it you can bug off."

    I got to the point where the moderators decided there should be no more discussion of the issue, and decided not to get involved. If Americans want to live in a country where people go around shooting each other, that's their business.
    Errm... I live guns... I don't like shooting people. There's all that screaming, the mess... someone always starts shouting about "That's not sporting" or "You can't do that it's just not cricket". It's just a hassle.

    The guns a nice piece of engineering, if you start thinking that the enthusiasts are all wannabie terrorists or gun slingers then what about the far more common phenomenon of people with enthusiasm for tanks? Are they wannabie Rommels?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  7. #47
    Senior Member bighairything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    We are here to post opinions, so there is no need for anyone to bug off.

    We all have our views. Sorry if you find it dumb. To me, liking a gun is like liking a car. Yeah, it can be deadly. So can knives. Well, honestly, cars can be too.

    Sorry if we Americans are so "mind-boggling" dumb. Why should they not have a gun breaking in? Maybe they have a knife. I guess that means you have a knife too. It only takes one person to have a gun and break in to kill you.

    Sorry if you don't like that.
    Yesterday I was looking through the gun porn thread and it became quite obvious that if I were to post my opinions over there, they would not be welcome. I haven't argued that pro-gun opinions shouldn't be voiced on this thread. I have merely pointed out that if Americans will assert that gun ownership is an integral part of American culture, and that this in itself should be accepted at face value as a valid argument, then it is equally valid to assert that this is an aspect of American culture that much of the rest of the civilised world finds sick and twisted. All in the name of cross-cultural understanding, of course.

    Also, I haven't said that Americans are mind-bogglingly dumb, just that the comments on this thread are.

    Why should burglars not have guns when they break in? It doesn't matter why they shouldn't, it merely matters that they don't. But for what it's worth, they don't because guns are incredibly difficult to get hold of. Even for criminals. Yes, a few succeed, but generally these are gang members who deal in drugs rather than break into homes.

    As for the knife argument, a gun is more likely to kill (or maim) me than a knife. If it's easier for me to get hold of a gun to protect against a knife, then it's also easier for the burglar to get a gun also. It becomes an arms race, and frankly I'd rather be involved in a knife fight than a gun fight. But this is all highly hypothetical anyway because, as somebody else already pointed out, it's far more likely that the burglar would try to burgle my home when there was no one in.

    As for cars being deadly, the primary function of a car is not to kill and maim. What function does a gun have that doesn't involve killing or maiming.

  8. #48
    You're fired. Lol. Antimony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,437

    Default

    Some people are interested in the mechanics of guns, as I have pointed out. Just because that is its function doesn't mean that that is what they are used for by our American society.


    And why is integration of our culture and guns so "sick and twisted"? I can think of many, many, MANY more things more sick and twisted than a culture which accepts guns. It doesn't integrate KILLING, it integrates GUNS.

    I just don't understand what is so "sickening" about guns. So please explain.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

    Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

  9. #49
    Senior Member bighairything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    The guns a nice piece of engineering, if you start thinking that the enthusiasts are all wannabie terrorists or gun slingers then what about the far more common phenomenon of people with enthusiasm for tanks? Are they wannabie Rommels?
    On some level, yes, with the emphasis on "wannabe". Perhaps there are a few people who are into that kind of thing purely and exclusively for the engineering, but my personal observation is that there generally tends to be far more people who are impressed by nice bits of engineering than there are people who know the first thing about engineering.

    In the case of tank enthusiasts, I find it less distasteful than gun enthusiasts because fortunately tanks are somewhat harder to get hold of. Hence it being more harmless than gun fetishism.

    I do accept your argument up to a point. I'm a photographer, and although I don't do the whole camera porn thing to such a great extent like some do, it's hard not to get excited by a particularly nice bit of equipment. But I'd struggle to muster that enthusiasm if I didn't like shooting people with my camera.

  10. #50
    Senior Member bighairything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    I just don't understand what is so "sickening" about guns. So please explain.
    They are designed to kill.

Similar Threads

  1. Time to ban taxis in the UK
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-02-2010, 06:09 PM
  2. Self-Control in the UK
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 217
    Last Post: 12-13-2009, 09:12 PM
  3. An INFP in the UK by way of SoCal
    By Lindy Lou in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-13-2009, 01:36 PM
  4. Gun Control in the UK (Not Gone, Is Being Fixed...)
    By Halla74 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 11:29 PM
  5. List of #1 Singles in the UK 90's - Hilarious
    By nomadic in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-23-2008, 04:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO