User Tag List

First 1422232425 Last

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I never worry about being shot going to the bank. I don't even worry about being mugged, and Los Angeles has a pretty high crime rate.
    Many people do. What I'm saying is, when ordinary people do worry about violent crime here, as they do almost everywhere, guns are not what come to mind. They're among the most unrealistic threats to our safety that we might think of.

Statistically speaking, people in the UK have MORE crime to worry about than people in the U.S. do.
    Statistically I'm quite sure that's not true. I've seen the occasional sensationalist headline make that claim, but when people have analysed the figures it's been found to be journalists twisting figures to make a good story.

Well, they don't have to worry as much about being shot/killed, but Americans who are really concerned about that arm themselves.
    If I were American I'd want to do that too, because your gun problem is out of control now. However, I'm not. I'm in the UK, where there's no gun threat to protect myself from, as there would be if it were so easy to get one.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    Many people do. What I'm saying is, when ordinary people do worry about violent crime here, as they do almost everywhere, guns are not what come to mind. They're among the most unrealistic threats to our safety that we might think of.
    Makes sense.

Statistically I'm quite sure that's not true. I've seen the occasional sensationalist headline make that claim, but when people have analysed the figures it's been found to be journalists twisting figures to make a good story.
    The crime rate is higher in the UK than the United States. Burglary and drug offences are WAY higher. The violent crime rate is higher in the U.S., though. Murder, kidnapping, and rape are all higher. Assault is even between the two countries, though.

If I were American I'd want to do that too, because your gun problem is out of control now. However, I'm not. I'm in the UK, where there's no gun threat to protect myself from, as there would be if it were so easy to get one.
    And you have a right to your opinion, but many in the UK disagree.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP

The crime rate is higher in the UK than the United States. Burglary and drug offences are WAY higher. The violent crime rate is higher in the U.S., though. Murder, kidnapping, and rape are all higher. Assault is even between the two countries, though.
    PM.... the statsitics are rarely ever comparable because they have different definitions... so apples and pear comparision

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

many in the UK disagree.
    ORLY? Source?
    I've lived here all my life and it's a non-issue. Occasionally some kid gets killed by an air-rifle or firemen get attacked by arsonists and there is a call to ban all such weapons. I don't know a single person in favour of relaxing gun control. Perhaps I should hang out with more criminals...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

That's what I was about to point out about the statistics you linked to. Surely violent crimes are the only ones relevant to this discussion. Crimes per capita isn't going to tell you much, firstly because laws vary between countries - about phone use in cars, smoking at bus shelters, drinking and consent ages etc. and in business and finance - and secondly, lists like that will encompass everything from fraud to fly-tipping. That table lists Denmark as having the fourth highest crime rate, which is very misleading in this context. Denmark has some of the very safest cities in the world, in which you'll rarely notice signs of a police presence, because they're not needed. No, those stats are too vague. You should compare armed robbery with armed robbery, ABH with ABH etc. For all we know those analyses included littering as a crime.

And you have a right to your opinion, but many in the UK disagree.
    Well that's possible though I've never heard a single one say anything to suggest they do. If it's the democratic element you're concerned about, I'm 99% sure that if we ever had a vote on it, the British public would not come close to voting to make guns more accessible. As someone else has said, most Britons would probably welcome tightening the laws even further.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Default Gun Control in the UK (Not Gone, Is Being Fixed...)

Hello everyone,

I moved the Gun Control in the UK thread to the moderation area so I can split out the parts that are specific to U.S. Gun Control issues.

This is necessary as I accidentally merged the two (previously split) threads together earlier today, as I was trying to spllit out two additions to the UK thread that should have been posted in the American thread.

So, please don't panic, I'll have it back up in a bit once I've had a chance to read through the entire UK post and split it up appropriately.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

-Halla
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    NICE

Can I complain about the way this thread is modded?

Pull yer socks up Halla. You big fairy.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Can I complain about the way this thread is modded?

Pull yer socks up Halla. You big fairy.
    Oh reeeeeeally?

I'll pull my socks up after I finish reloading my 1911-A1 .45 caliber semiautomatic pistol...

Now then, where's that tabby cat that's been pissing on my deck furniture...

<click, click>

Cheers!

-Halla
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    NICE

Pistols at dawn.

Sucka!

MBTI
    INTJ

Why that's the biggest white cock gun I've ever seen!

Somebody get Victor!
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.