First 101819202122 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

In process of extracting crap posts.

The thread needed to be split (thanks, Fid) and people should stay on OP topic; but a little politeness could also go a long way on everyone's part, thanks.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The great thing about America, is that everyone who thinks my opinion sucks, are entitled to vote however they want to.

That is called balance, and THAT is what America is all about.

I am curious about all this propaganda I have been reading about. Any time I watch the news/read the paper/go to school I hear how horrible the US is, I guess I should start watching the news from other counties; my self-esteem could use a boost!

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

A man who prepares never has to be worried about being lucky.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The great thing about America, is that everyone who thinks my opinion sucks, are entitled to vote however they want to.

That is called balance, and THAT is what America is all about.
    Actually, this is not called Balance, this is called democracy.

Well, believe it or not, you have more or less the same system within several countries: France, UK, Germany, Canada, Australia... countless others!

The current system (Representative democracy/Rechtsstaat/Rule of Law/Separation of powers) actually originated from 17th century Calvinist Holland. We owe a lot to philosophers like Baruch Spinoza.

And despite propaganda, America isn't even the most democratic nation in the world, especially in terms of personal freedom (I'd say Scandinavian countries are far more successful and "balanced", just to pick an example). On the other hand, it is by far the most powerful democracy in the world, and we are thankful for that : the situation could be far worst if the USA didn't existed -even if that power is coupled with a ruthless thirst for cultural imperialism-
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ubiquitous1 View Post
    I am curious about all this propaganda I have been reading about. Any time I watch the news/read the paper/go to school I hear how horrible the US is, I guess I should start watching the news from other counties; my self-esteem could use a boost!
    Where do you live? I have enjoyed my world travels very much, but I love it in the States. It's just thrilling to live here.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

It can't be democracy, if PAC's, special interests and lobbyists have stolen voice of the people.

When the only interests that matter, are moneyed interests, you have a BIG problem.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Actually, this is not called Balance, this is called democracy.

Well, believe it or not, you have more or less the same system within several countries: France, UK, Germany, Canada, Australia... countless others!

The current system (Representative democracy/Rechtsstaat/Rule of Law/Separation of powers) actually originated from 17th century Calvinist Holland. We owe a lot to philosophers like Baruch Spinoza.

And despite propaganda, America isn't even the most democratic nation in the world, especially in terms of personal freedom (I'd say Scandinavian countries are far more successful and "balanced", just to pick an example). On the other hand, it is by far the most powerful democracy in the world, and we are thankful for that : the situation could be far worst if the USA didn't existed -even if that power is coupled with a ruthless thirst for cultural imperialism-
    The United States isn't a true democracy, though, and that's important. Democracy has been fetishized to a harmful degree since WWI.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

What we have always been, and what we remain is a democratic republic.

We just need to learn to hold those holding the reigns to higher standards.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    In process of extracting crap posts.

The thread needed to be split (thanks, Fid) and people should stay on OP topic; but a little politeness could also go a long way on everyone's part, thanks.
    Why was my post about the estimated number of Holocaust victims deleted? People were honestly wondering.