User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

Results 141 to 150 of 250

  1. #141
    Senior Member Dooraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Well 80 million armed citizens can "kind of" be a barrier to entry for tyranny.
    But then one man's tryanny is another man's justice.
    INTp (MBTI)
    LII (Socionics) but typed as ILI as well
    5 wing 6
    Ti > Ni > Si > Ne > Te > Fi > Se > Fe

  2. #142
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default Americano vs American Gun Control (split from UK Gun Control Thread by request)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooraven View Post
    But then one man's tryanny is another man's justice.
    Well this nation was founded on justice and law, if you don't like it get the hell out.

    EDIT: LOL New Zealand! (laughing at my mistake, not New Zealand)

  3. #143
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I bet you watch a lot of Truffaut movies.
    Or Jean-Luc Godard's...

    ---

    But by the way, my dear Edgar, do you know what the Situationist international and who Guy Debord were?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  4. #144
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    Is this 'I' America?
    This is an interesting question because plainly you do not think your 'I' is America, whereas I am sure your 'I' is America.

    And my argument is simple - your individual 'I' could not exist without being embedded in the group fantasy called America.

    And the group fantasy lives in you and indeed creates your individual 'I'.

    Of course you believe your 'I' come first and the collective or group fantasy comes second.

    But you only believe this for historical reasons. However we have different histories and so we have different beliefs.

    Fortunately we are far enough away from you to follow the trajectory of our own history and our own beliefs.

  5. #145
    You're fired. Lol. Antimony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    This is an interesting question because plainly you do not think your 'I' is America, whereas I am sure your 'I' is America.

    And my argument is simple - your individual 'I' could not exist without being embedded in the group fantasy called America.

    And the group fantasy lives in you and indeed creates your individual 'I'.

    Of course you believe your 'I' come first and the collective or group fantasy comes second.

    But you only believe this for historical reasons. However we have different histories and so we have different beliefs.

    Fortunately we are far enough away from you to follow the trajectory of our own history and our own beliefs.

    I was speaking the way you were. With this 'I' you want to place on me. You place the negative of my country in the word 'I' and put it to me.


    And I know what I believe. I believe in the facts. Maybe you can give me a little history lesson.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

    Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

  6. #146
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yes, the first casualty of revolution is irony. Then all revolutions go on to eat their children.

    The first thing we notice about Americans is that they are deaf to irony.

    And the second thing is that the American revolution went on to eat its children in their Civil War.

    And the startling thing is that the so called war of Independence and the Civil war were entirely unnecessary, for we gained our independence from Britain and united a whole Continent without killing anyone.

    But American propaganda valourizes the treacherous revolution of 1776 and goes on to valourize one of the most bloody civil wars in history.

    But worse America uses all the power of hollywood to get us to accept their propaganda.

    It's bad enough that the Americans believe their own propaganda but they expect us to believe it too.
    They feed it to us with our mother's milk. It's hard for us to recognize, let alone disbelieve.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  7. #147
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    That's what I'm trying to get across here. An armed citizen goes from a soft target to a hard target, i.e. deterent is increased.
    What I was trying to get across with the brackets, was that the common culprits for calculated attacks (gangs, crazies etcetera) are careful enough that having a gun won't help. Definitely not help as much as running away as fast as you can will, and then getting the necessary help.

    Calculated implies determined, determined implies that they'll attack you when you are vulnerable. Everyone is vulnerable at some point on a daily basis.

    Again, only a very small minority of murders, rapes and assaults are calculated, excluding gang crime. They are usually spur of the moment, with little (rational) thought as to the consequences.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Also, I disagree with your statement that rapes, robberies, etc are not calculated crimes.
    Calculated rapes almost always target vulnerable people (drunk, unconscious, alone), or most commonly drug them.

    I won't continue this any more, but I just wanted to point out I never said robberies aren't usually calculated, they are. Saudi Arabia was the closest I can get to evidence that they aren't deterred, and like I said, it's not very reliable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    You missed my point. I was talking about individual rights. Sometimes individual rights run counter to the "utility of society."
    Utility of the individual too, as society is a collection of individuals. By Utility I mean quality of life and productiveness.

    I can't really debate against "it's an individual's right", though. Too arbitrary.

  8. #148
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    I agree he [Victor] could be more tactful
    I am as tactful as a .45

  9. #149
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Calculated rapes almost always target vulnerable people (drunk, unconscious, alone), or most commonly drug them.
    Drugging someone to rape her (or him) is extremely uncommon.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  10. #150
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    If you we're an INFJ you would have a silencer.

Similar Threads

  1. Time to ban taxis in the UK
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-02-2010, 06:09 PM
  2. Self-Control in the UK
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 217
    Last Post: 12-13-2009, 09:12 PM
  3. An INFP in the UK by way of SoCal
    By Lindy Lou in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-13-2009, 01:36 PM
  4. Gun Control in the UK (Not Gone, Is Being Fixed...)
    By Halla74 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 11:29 PM
  5. List of #1 Singles in the UK 90's - Hilarious
    By nomadic in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-23-2008, 04:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO