First 91011121321 Last

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post

Does that mean we should ban cars too?
    Well, the totalitarian green activist that I still am is delighted to hear that, especially from you!
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

People who own a car have a higher likelihood of dying in a car accident that those without one.

The usual counter argument to that is that cars have much higher utility than guns. Enough to outweigh the deaths caused by them.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    So basically, the potential criminal would have to have a clear enough mind to think about the consequences, and not think that they were going to get away with it anyway, or not be desperate enough to try it regardless. That excludes most crime, especially the types of crime that the death penalty is usually applied too. The majority of gun violence, if not gun crime as well.
    Rape, robberies, and assualts are commited only by those criminals who do not care whether they live or die?

You have to back up that statement with something more than your opinion, dear sir.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    The usual counter argument to that is that cars have much higher utility than guns. Enough to outweigh the deaths caused by them.
    Utility to whom, specifically? I don't see how a gun ban benefits my utility.

You might also argue that if we get rid of the 4th amendment, the utility of catching criminals and terrorists will outweigh those than protecting individuals rights.

I disagree.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Well, the totalitarian green activist that I still am is delighted to hear that, especially from you!
    Quit, you smelly baget eating French hippie!
    Americans are talking.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

The utility of right to bear arms is not about crime its about scaring the government...that if they fuck us over too badly we may have a Real revolution next, one similar to the French Revolution.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

People who own a car have a higher likelihood of dying in a car accident that those without one.

My point relies on the fact that those statistics would imply that guns fail for defense purposes because they put you in more danger. The potential damage caused by a car does not actually contradict what it is intended to do.

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    The utility of right to bear arms is not about crime its about scaring the government...that if they fuck us over too badly we may have a Real revolution next, one similar to the French Revolution.
    I don't like to base laws on fairy tales.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    My point relies on the fact that those statistics would imply that guns fail for defense purposes because they put you in more danger. The potential damage caused by a car does not actually contradict what it is intended to do.

I don't like to base laws on fairy tales.
    Well I guess only the U.S. Constituion does then.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Yeah, every revolution in human history has been a disaster and resulted in things sucking even worse than they did before, which in some cases is pretty damn amazing, so I dont think that possessing firearms for a revolution is a good idea.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    That right is just pretend. Just see how fast the ATF is all up in your stuff if you start stockpiling weapons and forming militias for that purpose. That is why I say that horse left the barn a long time ago.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers