User Tag List

First 91011121321 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 250

  1. #101
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post

    Does that mean we should ban cars too?
    Well, the totalitarian green activist that I still am is delighted to hear that, especially from you!
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  2. #102
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    People who own a car have a higher likelihood of dying in a car accident that those without one.

    Does that mean we should ban cars too?
    The usual counter argument to that is that cars have much higher utility than guns. Enough to outweigh the deaths caused by them.

  3. #103
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    So basically, the potential criminal would have to have a clear enough mind to think about the consequences, and not think that they were going to get away with it anyway, or not be desperate enough to try it regardless. That excludes most crime, especially the types of crime that the death penalty is usually applied too. The majority of gun violence, if not gun crime as well.
    Rape, robberies, and assualts are commited only by those criminals who do not care whether they live or die?

    You have to back up that statement with something more than your opinion, dear sir.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  4. #104
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    The usual counter argument to that is that cars have much higher utility than guns. Enough to outweigh the deaths caused by them.
    Utility to whom, specifically? I don't see how a gun ban benefits my utility.

    You might also argue that if we get rid of the 4th amendment, the utility of catching criminals and terrorists will outweigh those than protecting individuals rights.

    I disagree.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  5. #105
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Well, the totalitarian green activist that I still am is delighted to hear that, especially from you!
    Quit, you smelly baget eating French hippie!
    Americans are talking.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  6. #106
    Ghost Monkey Soul Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    The utility of right to bear arms is not about crime its about scaring the government...that if they fuck us over too badly we may have a Real revolution next, one similar to the French Revolution.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

  7. #107
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    People who own a car have a higher likelihood of dying in a car accident that those without one.

    Does that mean we should ban cars too?
    My point relies on the fact that those statistics would imply that guns fail for defense purposes because they put you in more danger. The potential damage caused by a car does not actually contradict what it is intended to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    The utility of right to bear arms is not about crime its about scaring the government...that if they fuck us over too badly we may have a Real revolution next, one similar to the French Revolution.
    I don't like to base laws on fairy tales.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  8. #108
    Ghost Monkey Soul Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    My point relies on the fact that those statistics would imply that guns fail for defense purposes because they put you in more danger. The potential damage caused by a car does not actually contradict what it is intended to do.



    I don't like to base laws on fairy tales.
    Well I guess only the U.S. Constituion does then.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

  9. #109

    Default

    Yeah, every revolution in human history has been a disaster and resulted in things sucking even worse than they did before, which in some cases is pretty damn amazing, so I dont think that possessing firearms for a revolution is a good idea.

  10. #110
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    The utility of right to bear arms is not about crime its about scaring the government...that if they fuck us over too badly we may have a Real revolution next, one similar to the French Revolution.
    That right is just pretend. Just see how fast the ATF is all up in your stuff if you start stockpiling weapons and forming militias for that purpose. That is why I say that horse left the barn a long time ago.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Similar Threads

  1. Time to ban taxis in the UK
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-02-2010, 06:09 PM
  2. Self-Control in the UK
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 217
    Last Post: 12-13-2009, 09:12 PM
  3. An INFP in the UK by way of SoCal
    By Lindy Lou in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-13-2009, 01:36 PM
  4. Gun Control in the UK (Not Gone, Is Being Fixed...)
    By Halla74 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 11:29 PM
  5. List of #1 Singles in the UK 90's - Hilarious
    By nomadic in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-23-2008, 04:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO