INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    This is the INTJ answer for everything
    that's not true. wait...yes it is.
    When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
    - Bernard Bailey
    It is bad luck to be superstitious.
    - Andrew W. Mathis

sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Aah haven't read maddox in a while. You brought back old memories.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

squared. And glad I could be of service Raging
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Could be just moral conviction in action but I tend to think people who make choices, such as adopting vegetarianism, veganism, islam or anything else, who then to go to forefully evangelise and promote their creedo are compensating or private or personal doubts, they seek the reinforcement they need, the reassurance from a source external to themselves, from others.

Its crazy because adopting a particular lifestyle or identity should surely be an inner direction, not some how other directed.

Crazy as it may sound when you consider PETA's lunatic fringe or the way in which islam features in contemporary politics and culture wars those are still relatively safe topics to choose to debate.

Choose to question, deconstruct or analyse the behaviour of homosexuals, individually or their collective actions, like demos, campaigning etc. and you are automatically branded a bigot or homophobic, most people dont comprehend the proper meaning of the word and think its just a term for any who fails to approve of or endorse homosexuality, instead its a label to do with pathological fear and loathing. Which means that group, the homophobic, is probably a smaller group than the already small population of homosexuals.

On that topic I started out pretty much neutral, didnt care what adults did to each other with their complete conscent and I could have remained of that opinion were it not for the fact that a lot of people, not of all of them homosexual themselves, pretty much have their minds made up that neutrality cant be tenable and is morally equivalent to discrimination, hatred etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Could be just moral conviction in action but I tend to think people who make choices, such as adopting vegetarianism, veganism, islam or anything else, who then to go to forefully evangelise and promote their creedo are compensating or private or personal doubts, they seek the reinforcement they need, the reassurance from a source external to themselves, from others.
    yeah, I've often thought that, too. It's a bit like... I know a lot of people who want to think of themselves as Good, or to be seen as Good, and they sorta tack all these external talismans onto themselves like "I don't shop at this place" or "I don't eat food that isn't organic" or "I only eat freedom food" or "I won't buy from xyz", until their life becomes one big maze of self-prohibitions that'd make even a 17th century Puritan's brain explode. And yet the most obvious parts of Goodness, such as consistent attention to the way they treat others, basic consideration and sensitivity to others' needs, are usually absent in these people in my experience.

On that topic I started out pretty much neutral, didnt care what adults did to each other with their complete conscent and I could have remained of that opinion were it not for the fact that a lot of people, not of all of them homosexual themselves, pretty much have their minds made up that neutrality cant be tenable and is morally equivalent to discrimination, hatred etc.
    Again, this idea that everybody has to have an opinion on everything, it's not something I feel at all comfortable with. It's as though simply fessing up to not knowing enough to form an opinion and so declining to blabber on without knowing the facts, makes you wrong in the eyes of others, or they spuriously attribute it to general apathy.

Mind you, would you say it was fair to theorize that this mindset is something a person with a strong J preference would be more prone to? The idea that things have to be either/or, and not liking both/and situations?
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    and believing that they know your reasons for your choices?

Thoughts?
    You've hit upon something that makes me very angry, especially the excerpt I've quoted above. I'm not sure if it has a correlation with majority/minority so much as just with people who are pigheaded. The exception might be with that particular brand of pigheadedness that assumes anything embraced by or believed in by the majority must by definition be wrong. That viewpoint reinforces their view of themselves as special.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Minorities by definition don't have all that much power. Consequently, they attempt to exert power by modifying the moral norms of the majority. Meanwhile, those majoritarian norms by their nature have power over that minority group, and overtly exerting this power somewhat offends our sense of fair play - everyone knows you're dominant, you don't need to beat that person over the head with it.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Minorities by definition don't have all that much power. Consequently, they attempt to exert power by modifying the moral norms of the majority. Meanwhile, those majoritarian norms by their nature have power over that minority group, and overtly exerting this power somewhat offends our sense of fair play - everyone knows you're dominant, you don't need to beat that person over the head with it.
    People can get beat over the head with things on both sides.

As long as people understand that, things usually work themselves out.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    You don't need to pretend that the other viewpoint is valid to you, either.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    You don't need to pretend that the other viewpoint is valid to you, either.
    If the other viewpoint is valid to you, are you allowed to say so? Or is it useless, because whether it is or not, you're part of the majority and therefore not capable of any good or sincere thoughts or actions?
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving